PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

What. :wtf: I mean, I'm still looking forward to Prometheus, but if even half of the (very consistent from review-to-reviewer) criticisms I've read of it are accurate, it will be far, far from a perfect film.

Then again, this is the guy who gave Knowing four stars, so maybe he just likes vague, choppy, and pretentious sci-fi.

2. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The most boring, piece of shite movie I've seen this year. Its worse than John Carter and Battleship combined. Ridley Scott has made a FAILWHALE of a movie. Not only is the story basically the most idiotic premise I've ever seen, but they basically stole.. yes, STOLE, two different plot points from duggone AvP (2004). Seriously, yes. The logic was stupid, the characters are illogical, the theme a complete and utter mess. How Ridley or FOX thought this was a filmable script, let alone a good one, baffles me to no end.

I gave it an F. Rightfully so. And even then am being generous.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original movie was incredibly good. I was blown away by it. The more recent mini-series remake, far less so. The recent movie with Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, & Gwyneth Paltrow - Infection? - was very good too.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very good points and yeah, the first few scenes were really well done. It started to go downhill when they arrived at the planet.

I can't criticise, I ripped off pretty similar plot points in a Star Trek/Alien crossover story posted on Youtube. Fortunately for me, I was using stills from TMP so I couldn't do a schlocky action story; I had no choice but to go for suspense, which is quite hard to do with a bunch of people in pyjamas. My story was cheesy and derivative too and I suffered from trying to include too many characters but I like to think that those characters didn't behave like imbeciles.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I was naturally thinking about the original movie, from memory I had to turn off the recent mini-series when I tried to watch it.

6. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to news reports. Prometheus had already been shown in theaters in the UK. According to their box office results, it is the number one film there.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Of course it is. There was so much anticipation for it. I'm doubting it'll do well on the second week though.

8. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I just saw the film and I can't believe all the mixed reviews. This film is excellent. A+. Ebert's four star review is correct.

Fassbender's David earns his place alongside Holm's Ash and Henrikson's Bishop, The visuals are stunning, the horror scenes wonderful (That part with Repace in the operating machine :eek:) I think this is a great addition to the Alien universe and I want more.

I do agree that it's obvious some stuff was cut, and I'm sure Scott will do a director's cut for video. (wouldn't be an alien film without multiple cuts right ;) ) I didn't detract much from my experience though. I thought the themes were handled well, and I'm glad the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer to all the questions it poses.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand your point of view. Yes, the movie raises some basic questions about the origin of human life, but it never addresses them in any significant way, except to have a couple of characters tell us that these things are Very Important.

Where do we come from? What does it mean for us to meet our creators? It's not so much that the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer: the film doesn't even bother to explore its premise and it does nothing at all with these questions; it just brings them up and that's it.

So I'd be interested to know what in the movie lead you to think that the themes were handled well. What did I miss?

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Outbreak - kind of...

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wow...are y'all trying to make me not see this movie?

I just wanna know one thing. Is Charlize Theron in a space suit? (I've seen her in the milkbath. Now i wanna see her in the spacesuit.)

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Seriously. I'm kind of regretting coming into this thread. Talk about a buzz kill.

13. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I agree the ideas were jumbled, but David has a few scenes where he questioned why meeting the creators was so important to humans, and relating it to himself as a robot. Repace's faith was the focus of a few scenes in there, and important to the ending where she decides to "keep searching".

Perhaps what I should of said is "I'm glad this isn't a blatantly dumb movie like Resurrection"...

14. banzaiduck

banzaiduck Lieutenant

Contagion. Soderbergh went out of his way to ensure some semblance of verisimilitude in portraying the scientists and government officials.

Rather boring flick otherwise. :)

BANZAI!!!

15. banzaiduck

banzaiduck Lieutenant

What else should one expect from Lindelof? Same shit went on with Lost as well. I refuse to acknowledge that last season and that flash forward/sideways...whatever bullshit.

How congruous that the latter half of this flick was, for lack of a better word, shit.

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yes...

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Thank you. Now I can sit through all the muddle and still be happy.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The film got a solid review from The AV Club, a site that is usually on the ball.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems to be a common reaction, but at the same time I'm noticing that people who actually LIKE the ambiguous nature of Lindelof's storytelling (and who embraced the same thing in Lost), seem to be liking the movie a bit more.

Fortunately I'm one of those in the second camp, so hopefully I won't find the movie quite as irritating as others here...

(crosses fingers)

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I don't remember anyone in Blade Runner saying: "bbbut, Deckard, you are a Replicant!"

Basically, creators are assholes and I'm fine with that.