PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it but I think my expectations were too high so it only gets a C+.

On the plus side, Fassbender's David is fantastic and the movie's early scenes with him on the ship were nicely done. The sets and actors look great, and the concept is really cool.

However, I don't know if it's just that shoddy writing has become more acceptable in the last 25+ years or if I'm being hyper-critical but I was disappointed in the movie overall.

I watched Alien on TV the other night just to get myself in the mood and there really isn't much comparison in the quality of the storytelling (all Alien needs is a bit of CGI in the closing scene when the alien is blasted out the hatch and the movie would not date at all).

For me the story started to go downhill once the crew started to interact. They did a really poor job of establishing the characters early on, many of whom, for some inexplicable reason, had not even met before setting off...? Even at the end of the movie there were several characters running around who had done nothing more than deliver a few lines of dialogue. I genuinely believed that Charlie was Elizabeth's gay best friend rather than her lover until it became obvious, quite far into the movie, that this wasn't meant to be the case - there was very little chemistry there at all.

What jarred the most though was the lack of realism in the characters' behaviour. In Alien we were dealing with working class joe public; in Aliens we were dealing with boneheaded marines; in Alien 3 we were dealing with criminals but in this movie we were supposed to be dealing with scientists. Why then did they go charging in like idiots?

They didn't set up a lab on the planet to examine finds without risking contaminating the ship, they took helmets off without taking samples of the air for bacterial or viral analysis, we had a geologist who didn't even carry a samples case and a biologist who wasn't even carrying a basic testing kit. In one scene somebody asks why the water isn't frozen given the temperature - do they stop to take a sample to find out? No! Someone says, "Maybe it isn't water," and on they go, wading through this unknown substance without a care in the world.

They claim to have a quarantine procedure but given that their basic safety protocols are lacking, they would have had to quarantine the entire crew.

In short, their scientific method was shambolic and it really dragged me, almost weeping, out of what should have been a decent story.

The plot was a bit obvious compared to the first two Alien movies. I was mildly offended when one of the characters, despite having a serious injury, was performing physical, one might even say, acrobatic, activities with little more than the odd wince of pain. Given the larger cast, I would have much preferred it if they had taken a leaf out of Contagion's book to keep us on our toes with several leads, any of whom could die at any moment, sharing the burden of action hero among them.

Overall, I did enjoy it but it fell quite a way short of what I was hopng for. If Del Toro wants to make in the Mountains of Madness there is plenty of room left to do a better, more atmospheric job.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I can accept people in the other Alien films fucking up because they're all out of their comfort zone (with the exception of Ripley after the first one) but the guys in this should have been right in their comfort zone, at least up to a point.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't enjoy it, but I was still massively underwhelmed. The film looks great, but like an old Hollywood set once you go behind the facade there's nothing there holding it up.

The script is a total mess in places, as people have said characters do random things for random purposes, and how the hell Shaw runs around during the last portion of the film beggers belief!

Rapace is no Sigourney Weaver, Theron isn't given enough to do and is then
    allowed to survive just so she can be killed 5 seconds later
    and Idris Elba could have been the beating heart of the film, except he's forgotten about until the end.

Hats off to Michael Fassbender though, he is is the best thing about this by miles, and his David really deserved to be in a better film.

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

These results are disappointing. I was sort of hoping Bob had been excessively critical but it doesn't appear so.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well in the interests of fairness I went with my best mate and he really enjoyed it, said he thought it was a true cinematic event.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I was, but I stand by my excessive criticism.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What bothered me far more was that these characters don't behave like actual people. Nothing they say or do rings true from an emotional perspective:

A team of scientists who make one of the most significant discoveries of all time and don't sound thrilled, excited or even a little bit curious? A biologist who finds a pile of alien corpses, the actual bodies of the creators of mankind, and would rather go back to the ship than study them? A sick man letting himself get killed in the most painful way imaginable before examining any other option? A woman who goes through the most traumatic experience of her life, one that could have consequences for all her colleagues, and tells no one about it?

Suspension of disbelief is crucial for the scientific/tech stuff, but it shouldn't be required for the characters' behavior.

7. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    I was very underwhelmed by it. On the plus side the cinematography is beautiful and Fassbender and Theron are on fine form but the script left me cold.
    I think it will get better with repeated viewings and so i'll no doubt buy it on blu-ray.

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Certainly, my boy. The Monster of Phantom Lake and its sequel It Came From Another World are exactly what you're asking about. The star is a Professor of Science, who thinks and acts like a scientist should, with an incredible thirst for scientific knowledge.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The scientists also behaved like absolute idiots when they couldn't wait a few extra hours after travelling for 2+ years. It was more like a school trip for a bunch of ADSD-afflicted kids. I blame the recruiters at Weyland Corp, who obviously put way much faith in the candidates' LinkedIn profiles.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So you're saying it was like driving a short bus to Disney World and every seat had a steering wheel?

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. However, idiot plot syndrome is pretty much ubiquitous in any movie set in the Alien universe. The ride is great until you start to think.

13. throwback

I think the only exception to that rule is the first movie. In that movie, I think the biggest issue was not stupidity, but the corporate culture in which the characters inhabited. This culture and the expectations it placed on its inhabitants doomed the Nostromo.

The second film had one major stupid thing - they didn't check the space above the ceiling. Otherwise, I think the Marines had become complacent and were led by an inexperienced leader.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

They made some idiotic decisions i.e. Harry Dean Stanton wondering off alone after the cat and then closing his eyes, standing in the middle of a very open room. I don't disagree about the corporate culture but I do disagree that they didn't make dumb decisions.

15. throwback

For me, up to that point when he entered that room, Brett believed that he was hunting for a small creature. However, upon further reflection, I agree with you that he acted stupidly when, after finding the shedded skin, instead of reporting his discovery to the crew, Brett decided to proceed further into the room, and placed himself in greater danger. Another moment that can be argued for a case of stupidity is when the captain went alone into the vents without a partner. So, in conclusion, I retract what I said earlier about the first movie.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, even with the shedded skin Brett had no reason to believe the creature would had grown THAT much from before. And animals like snakes shed their skin for lots of other, more mundane reasons than just their growing size.

Plus, he probably just didn't want the others calling him a pussy for running away. :D

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah Brett should have called in the others at that point but his actions were still nowhere near as dumb as playing coochy coo with a completely unknown snakelike alien entity.

Dallas was pretty foolish to go into the ducts on his own but at least he had a flame thrower.

18. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw this earlier today....

I've tried to avoid most of the promotional material, and go in with an open mind and a clean slate...

The film is kind of.... meh....

The first half and hour or so are great but the film goes downhill fast. While the acting and the visuals are great, they don't save the clumsily structured mess that is on screen.

The most suspenseful scenes are when it evokes imagery and scenes from Alien. The film suffers from having too many characters and being poorly paced. It felt very disjointed, almost as if it's like it's the first three episodes of a visually interesting twelve part mini-series spliced together rather poorly and trimmed to feature length by an amateur. It's kind of let down by the lack of a clear protagonist.

On the plus side, Michael Fassbender is fantastic as David the Android and, like I said before, the visuals are great. I also love the use of practical effects in this film.

Also, an urgent note to Ridley Scott, old people should be portrayed by old actors not middle aged actors in really bad halloween masks. The 3D isn't anything to write home about. Overall, the film was very lackluster and choppy. Very disappointing.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The Andromeda Strain, perhaps.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral