sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I can see we'll have to work harder to impress the new dictator of North Korea. :rommie: How about an adorable psychic moppet?

Yeah, I know, that'll go over here like a dead flounder...

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Jude Law too old to play Gigolo Joe again? Who will voice Teddy?

3. Temis the Vorta

Seems like all movie actors eventually end up on TV nowadays, but Jude Law is hanging onto his looks well enough that I wouldn't expect to see him on TV for some time to come.

4. Silvercrest

Don't tell me the reference went past you, as in "not Caprica, but _._."

5. Temis the Vorta

Yeah, I got the reference, but not sure how it relates to a TV show? It's not like there's some insane glut of robot-oriented TV shows to bedevil us...

I'm happy to see anything that's not a cop/lawyer/doctor show, sitcom or reality TV.

6. Silvercrest

I'm just pointing out that rather than another version of Caprica, this appears to be the TV version of A.I.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoy this kind of stuff, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. Thanks for the heads up.

8. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm mostly excited about returning shows and awaiting Blood and Chrome...er...I mean, you will not seduce me with your Imperialist Propaganda masked as popular entertainment for the proletariat, Yankee Strumpet.

:cool:

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Any word on Terra Nova's return?

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nothing I'm aware of. I wouldn't expect to hear anything much before the "Upfronts" in late Spring/Early Summer

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

deadline.com is reporting we may get news in the next week or two, when Fox reveals its plans at the Winter TCA (Television Critics Association) meeting.

deadline.com

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, well then, color me surprised, I figured they'd hold off until the last minute

Thanks

13. Temis the Vorta

Hey! I'm a Dominion Strumpet. :rommie:

Hmm, that would make a good custom title...

But anyway, to actually add some substance to this post, I don't see anything wrong with a TV version of AI (or, really, a TV version of the familiar sci fi notion of intelligent robots, because that description is too skimpy to really know what it will be "about"). BSG and Caprica really just did their own idiosyncratic thing, so I'm not counting them.

Exploring the social aspect of artificial intelligence isn't an overdone concept on TV. Superheroes and vampires, now they're overdone, but not robots. Novels and movies are very different from TV, so we could get something valuable and new from a TV series.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  14. Temis the Vorta

Oh look, actual news.

ABC picks up Roland Emmerich antichrist drama.

Wow, pretty out there for network fodder...if American Horror Story doesn't have the sense to get Evan Peters back for S2, he's a natural for the lead role.

And what does astrophysics have to do with the topic? Maybe nothing, but it's a fun notion that it might...

EDIT: more news. The Last Resort is close to a pilot order. As I recall, several people liked this concept or at least thought it was interesting.

Not sure if this is sf/f, but it's from Rockne O'Bannon and it's based on his experiences with Farscape fandom, so I'll mention it...

So far, this is shaping up to be a more interesting than average pilot season. And it's just started.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are probably using astrophysicist as the shorthand for 'man of science'. The science guy who finds his answers can't be found in science, but in the religious battle between heaven and hell.

16. stonester1

I would say that Superheroes on TV aren't overdone yet. Plenty of room for a GOOD series dealing with that sort. Vampires? Yeah, crowded, but again, the GOOD stuff is easy to distill.

I do think a series dealing with robots would be good, but just reading that concept doesn't give me confidence the helmers of that show "get it".

Now, The Last Resort...again, depends on showrunners, but that is intriguing.

17. Temis the Vorta

What would a good robot series be like instead?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All three of these sound really interesting to me.

19. Temis the Vorta

At first I liked the idea behind Cult, and the fact that O'Bannon is involved, and then I remembered that it's for the CW. :D

20. stonester1

Again, its not about the concept...I just dont have a good vibe with the showrunners.

Id love another spaceship show. But depending on who is running it, Im not going to automatically believe it is worth my time. This show does sound a bit too much like warmed over Caprica and Blade Runner. They may surprise me...we shall see. Again, it will all depend on the storytelling skills of the showrunners.

I wish it the best, Temis. But I only wish it success if it is GOOD science fiction. Thats all I have time for.