Should a new Star Trek TV show adapt plot points from Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Overlord, Sep 26, 2011.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If there was a new Star Trek TV show in the future, should it adapt plot points from Star Trek Online?

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Re: Should a new Star Trek TV show adapt plot points from Star Trek On

I think it should incorporate the Enterprise-F and the uniforms as being official designs, but if a new series is set circa 2460 or later, such things would probably be only featured in a flashback episode.

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First how do we know a new show would be set in 2460, instead of 2409?

Second, there is no reason why these plot points couldn't happen in 2460 instead of 2409, a new TV show doesn't have to a direct adaption of Star Trek Online, it could just loosely adapt some of the plot points from the game.

4. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Resoundng NO!!!!

STO is just some stupid star trek game that us desperate trek fans pay for as there's nothing else better to do, in reality STO has nothing to do with Star Trek other then title and resemblance to some Star Trek ships, game has corrupted meaning of the Star Trek and has angered many fans of star trek who stay away.

To even associate two angers many (including me) and honestly speaking its just a stupid game, not much else.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, which uniforms?

6. C.E. Evans

These
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/a/a1/Countdown_Online_comparison.jpg
    I was thinking they could be used as an interim uniform that was worn after Nemesis but prior to a new series. To be seen only when an episode looked back at that particular timeframe (very late 24th-Century/very early 25th-Century).

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Considering that the series never really cared about following what the books had, why should a game be any different?

8. Hartzilla2007

That uniform is not actually used in the game. There is one close to it though.

9. C.E. Evans

Did they change them recently?
    http://oyster.ignimgs.com/ve3d/images/04/25/42502_orig.jpg

http://www.syfy.com/startrekonline/images/wallpapers/1600x1200/StarTrekOnline_Wallpaper_01.jpg

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope.

STO's plot is a fanwank menagerie. "Oh noes, teh klingons attacked, but then teh romulans, then teh Remans, then the Breen, then the Devidians then the Borg then Species 8472, then the Iconians, who by the way aren't extinct and are also evil."

The writing of the individual missions didn't much impress me either. It's caught up in what I've come to refer to as the "Trek Mobius", creating a restricted vision of Trek that only uses pre-existing franchise material, and only makes stories that are homages to what the developers feel are the most popular Star Trek stories. The story and setting of STO is a big, regurgitated mess.

Also, one thing that ticked me off in the timeline was Garak making weenie Federation speeches. Sounded more like President Eden than Plain Simple Garak.

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

13. Hartzilla2007

Yeah the Foster pitch has been discussed and found to probably not happening. So not really a possible series there.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) If those plot points are good ones the writers might have adopted anyway, yet. Same goes for adopting plot points from Trek novels or the back of a cereal box for all I care. If it's a good plot point, go for it, who cares where it comes from.

2) If the motive isn't that the plot points are inherently good, then are they doing it for the publicity value? That seems dumb, since anyone bothering to play Star Trek online is going to also hear about and sample the TV series. If it's not to their tastes, then they may bail on it, but adopting plot points isn't going to change their mind if, say, they don't like the actor cast to play the captain or the fact that it's in the JJverse or what the starship looks like.

From a publicity standpoint, the bigger challenge is to convince the people who have never even heard of Star Trek online to sample a new Trek series.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I prefer the similar but divergent plotline of the novels in the Typhon Pact series and Destiny.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

No matter what, no matter when, no matter which universe, I hope the next series doesn't take place on the Enterprise-F. Think about it for a minute.

The Enterprise-F. If the series Failed or Flopped, critics would have a field day.

Go for the Gold. Skip to the Enterprise-G. It'll be Good.

17. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Online is a bit silly in that it's essentially just everyone in the Alpha Quadrant going. "COME ON! LET'S GET NUTS!"

Still, I think it was a fairly well-realized MMO and the "Needs of the Many" was very enjoyable to me.

I wouldn't mind if they mined it for material. I'd also like to see them mine "New Frontier."

I think the Expanded Universe of Star Trek is fun but Star Trek Destiny's ending didn't sit right with me.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Er, no.

19. C.E. Evans

I guess you didn't notice that I said "if"...
    ...and you also didn't notice that I was only referring to a particular ship design and uniform design being used in some capacity. Anything else, I'm not really interested in.
    :vulcan:

20. Re: Should a new Star Trek TV show adapt plot points from Star Trek On

You suggest a nice source in this post. Thanks for share this informaiton.