What next for Mass Effect?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by HotRod, Mar 12, 2011.

1. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

But why look back? It's just my opinion, but I would much rather look foward and see what are the ramifications of Shepard's actions in Mass Effect 3. Besides, if they were to do the Turian war, where's the suspense? We already know the outcome.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And, as I'd already mentioned before, it was hardly a war. It was basically one minor skirmish at a mass relay and then a brief siege at Shanxi. I agree, I'd rather keep moving forward in the ME timeline.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^The trouble with that is that by all accounts, there's going to be a very wide variety of possible outcomes for ME3, making any sequel when you can import your old saves somewhat untenable. They'd be forced to choose a single 'canon' storyline and move from there, which would be a shame considering how personal the Shepard trilogy can be to the player.

I agree that the First Contact War isn't enough to sustain another trilogy of RPGs, but I think it's plenty for maybe just the one or a straight-up FPS, *if* they were so inclined.

In terms of prequels though, it's hardly the only option, even if the presence of humans is a pre-requisite. There's also the Skillian Blitz and the subsequent counter attack against the Batarians that can be part of the 'War Hero' & 'Ruthless' backgrounds.

4. HotRod

But it's not like Bioware having to choose a canon storyline would be anything new, considering Shepard can die at the end of ME2 and I highly doubt there will be the option to play without him/her in ME3.

5. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

That's even better...
    in that case events can transpire more easily around these short and loose events...

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is the same problem many games with multiple endings have like KOTOR 1 and 2, although KOTOR 2 made it a choice as to what happened in the first game. What can be done is have the player go through different points of view depending on the choices made, all of them converging into the climax as seen from the different points of view. Then you have your storyline intact and it's only a question of how the player saw it happen.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wasn't talking about the inability to import saves so much as the impracticality in writing around what's said to be a slew of drastically differing endpoints.

I'm not saying they can't just pick a canon ending, of course they can. They could pick one or as with DAII, present two or three archetypal variations for the player to choose from the onset. What I am saying is that it'd be a shame to abandon all the accumulated personal choices across the three games.

Of course it's all moot since we don't know yet how things can possibly end up. Sure we can make some educated guesses, but until the game is on the shelves, guessing is all we can do.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't talking about importing saves either :)

9. HotRod

I can't see how the endings for Mass Effect 3 would be that hard to write around. One can assume the Reapers will be defeated, it's likely that it's only a matter of how it's done. Say the whole galaxy works together to defeat the Reapers with Shepard leading the charge and are successful with the Commander managing to survive. Mass Effect 4 couuld simply show the races getting along better, giving eachother a well deserved pat on the back for a job well done with Shepard being the living hero of the galaxy. You could hear the odd news repart of a school being named after him/her. Or him running for public office, whatever. OR, Shepard could die at the end of ME3 and we could hear about memorials being put up for him or her. Hell, they could name a damn planet after him/her. If the other races don't come screaming to the rescue in ME3 and Shepard beats them more or less out of sheer luck, then you could simply have alot more tension between whats left of humanity and the other races. And if by chance there is the option of the Reapers winning......well I guess what's the point of making a 4th game.

10. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Mass Effect was designed to be a trilogy. So I doubt that the next game in the Mass Effect Universe would simply be Mass Effect 4.

11. HotRod

I'm aware of that, but really, until they come up with a name...it's Mass Effect 4. Tho I think you just hit on an awesome choice for a name. Mass Effect: Universe.

12. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

No....lets not reach into the failing Stargate Franchise for name ideas...

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

^Mass Effect: SR-2 ;)

14. HotRod

You raise a good point.

15. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I think what would serve the next game best would be to go the TNG route and skip the story ahead a couple hundred years. Introduce a new villain and conflict and just leave a few characters who can refer to shepard and the "last war" in passing. I.E. have Grunt still playable, and in his flavor dialogue he would constantly tell you about his last battlemaster and how youre nowhere near as good.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Couldn't most of the alien characters still be alive?

17. Skywalker

Liara and Grunt would be, barring early demises. Samara, probably not. Wrex, maybe. Everyone else would be long gone.

18. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

Depends how far ahead you skip it. We know asari and krogan both can live about 1000 years, humans about 100 and salarians about 40, but do we know about the other species, like turians and quarians?

19. Skywalker

Turian and (I think) quarian lifespans are about the same as a human's.

20. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Thane would be long gone from his disease. Mordin would be long gone from old age. I don't think there's any established lore about how long turians or quarians live.