Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Joe Washington, Jan 22, 2010.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sci fi/mystical/whatever would work for me. It would be fun to see a Lynch series set in space. It would make Farscape look normal. :D

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I'd be happy to see Lynch do anything at this point. It's been five years since Inland Empire. I know he's been involved in other projects (music, some cameos here and there) but It would be great to see something substantial.

EDIT- On the bright side, It appears Eraserhead will be receiving a full blown Criterion Collection treatment this year.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. I always tell people to stop watching at that point and it's the greatest miniseries in TV history...after that it's the greatest disappointment.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Naah, even with some of the dumb subplots coming in later in season 2, it still has lots of terrific stuff happening. Geez, what may be my favorite romantic scene ever is in there, when Coop and Annie talk about Heisenberg in Norma's cafe. Right up there with THE AGE OF INNOCENCE and Sutherland/Adams in Kaufman's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS in terms of my favorite love stories.

6. Kirkman1987

I agree. The shows takes a dive, but I think there are enough bits here and there that it's worth watching (and that's putting aside the awesome Lynch directed finale and Fire Walk With Me). For instance, the return of Gordon Cole and his subsequent romancing of Shelly:lol:

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is not so much the drop in quality, but what happens, or doesn't, at the end of the season. If you stop watching where we suggest, the series has an end point. Otherwise....

8. Kirkman1987

Well, It's slightly less troublesome if you consider Fire Walk With Me the ending, with
    Cooper and Laura united in The Black Lodge. Cooper as guardian and guide for Laura is very beautiful and feels appropriate to me.

It's not as razorsharp perfect as stopping at episode 17, but it's not too bad. Of course I wish Lynch had been able to do another film or two as he originally wanted. (Killed by the fact that FWWM bombed. Kyle Maclachlan and Lynch also had a falling out)

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The show had such a strong central issue and sense of urgency, ideally it would always have been a limited-run series. The hook was "Who killed Laura Palmer?", not "The Adventures of Special Agent Cooper." There was really no way they were going to hold old viewers or snag new ones after that was resolved. Of course, US network TV didn't work that way. The show really lost its way immediately after the mystery was solved, and though it was starting to pick up in quality when it ended, the plot had lost the unified motivation that had been so strong before. Windom Earle, the Black Lodge, "gathering angels" or whatever, and did Maj. Briggs have something to do with aliens? It was unfocused and pretty much a letdown from the early part of the series.

It was still better than 90% of what was on TV, of course, but that's never been good enough.

Justin

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The thing is, Lynch never wanted to solve who killed Laura Palmer. I've read countless bits with him where it was all about process and drawing things out and going on story detours, that the Palmer killing was the invitation into TP, NOT what the show was actually about at all.

I think the dynamic between Lynch and Frost was a very good one, but that it got out of balance when Lynch was away shooting a movie. I think Frost's notion of the Black Lodge is a lot more interesting and textured than what we get from Lynch, which seems more B&W. Then again, the next time I watch the last ep, I'm sure I'll reverse that opinion (the series almost never plays the same way for me, which is how I manage to rewatch it every year or so.)

And based on stuff that was in WRAPPED IN PLASTIC magazine, the finale was a bit clearer as scripted, and Lynch definitely weirded it up a lot, which is good in a lot of ways, but still kind of pissed me off at the time (not as much as the killing of another character a couple shows before the Palmer wrapup, which practically had me kicking the TV in I was so enraged.)