"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know we see the logo during the ransom scene in IM1, where Tony is bound, head covered. It's the backdrop of the scene on a red canvas or curtain material. Can't recall if it's anywhere else. A logical place might be in the tents when Stane comes to visit, to steal the Mark 1, but I can't say I recall with certainty.

One would assume that their logo is known(within the MCU prior to IM showing up), has been known, which leads to the theory Killian co-opted it. Gave it a face as he noted.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that's plausible.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I was wondering about that myself, along with what the relationship was between Killian and Hansen. Rebecca Hall is a good actress and it's a shame she barely gets to do much of anything. I don't think the movie was terrible, as sequels go, but it felt like there were a lot of promising plot threads that were never tied together properly into a cohesive story.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Killian's motivation was to control both sides of the War on Terror - supply terror, then supply weapons to fight the terrorists. Extremis was able to do both. Subjects that couldn't regulate blew up. "The Mandarin" claims it as a terrorist act deliberately conducted to "teach America". Killian supplies Extremis subjects that can regulate to the U.S. military, either as soldiers or as mercenaries. Either way, he wins, and proves to himself that he didn't actually need Stark in 1999.

5. Unicron

That was one of the other threads I perceived as dangling. I get that most of Killian minions we see are former soldiers who were "cured" with Extremis, and I can see where they would feel indebted or loyal to him and/or AIM for that, but that all of them would seemingly betray their duty as soldiers to the U.S. for it? Harm innocent people and support terrorism in the process? I'm a bit skeptical of that. It just seemed to me like Extremis was still too potentially unstable for it to viable that way, even though Killian and Hansen had improved it.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, if they stopped serving him, they would run out and blow up, if I'm not mistaken.

7. Unicron

Maybe so, but I still don't buy that as being reason enough to let go of your ethics. Besides, that means they could blow up Killian if he disagreed! :p It would probably take several of them to actually kill him, but still... :D Who's to say someone like Stark couldn't have copied the regulating agent?

8. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

It seemed as though Extremis may also be responsible for personality shifts, especially promoting violent tendencies. Pepper was quite surprised at what she was capable of under the influence of Extremis. Just imagine what someone who was already conditioned and trained to use violence would be capable of - in fact, you don't have to imagine. The Extremis subjects demonstrated it. Why would they betray their ideals and assist in attacking the US? Maybe they already felt betrayed by it? Who knows what circumstances they were in prior to finding themselves under AIM's care.

9. Unicron

That's certainly a possibility, but I'd say the movie is very unclear (at best) on whether that actually occurs as a side effect or not. I think Pepper was surprised that she survived thanks to Extremis and that she actually had some fun using part of the Mk 42, but I didn't see anything that was a specific personality change. I have no clue if the substance ever appeared in the comics, so perhaps someone with more experience can answer that.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe AIM gave Extremis only to wounded soldiers they could turn or already had turned?

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That was pretty much it, I'm afraid....

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The VP was his man, so Killian wanted to take over the US. But, yeah, he was like Syndrome Redux.

13. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyiiKzuz7W8&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Killian using the Ten Rings logo in his messages doesn't mean anything. Hell, I COULD send a message to someone I know with Ten Rings logo, and that doesn't make me the Mandarin.

The stinger is that the Ten Rings held Stark prisoner in a cave for several months, and Killian did nothing. Didn't kill Stark out vengeance or even ask for help to deal with the Extremis problem. The entire Mandarin is a fake feels like something that was created very recently.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...n-dollars-box-office-20130514,0,6812361.story

16. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someday I have to watch the actual Hitler movie. After all of the parodies I've seen, it will feel like a satire.

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I'm of two minds on the whole 10 Rings - Mandarin thing

1. There WAS a "Mandarin" leading the 10 Rings originally - but AIM somehow killed him and basically replaced him with their own man and just co-opted the original 10 Rings

2. 10 Rings was always meant to keep Stark - it was the guys in the field, like Raza (Robau!!!!) who sorta fucked things up and got too greedy in their own fight - like 10 Rings was Killian's invention but others that joined it and created cells sorta were on their own - but as I was saying, they were always meant to hang onto Stark once he gave them the Jericho missile - since THAT particular cell wanted it. The terrorists that captured Stark were surprised that it was actually Stark and wanted more money remember? It was Stane that sicced them on Tony. Which is how I'm sure the whole Afghani group that Raza was with got to California pretty quick - if they were part of Killian's 10 Ring.

3. The 10 Rings IS a real terror group in the MCU that Killian was using for his own end and figured if anyone from them went after him, he'd sic Extremis guys on 'em. Like say, someone using one of the other known terror groups and doing things in their name, the group thinks 'uhm okay hey you're doing alright... welcome aboard' but it's all a ruse.

4. Killian didn't care of Tony lived or died, he wanted Stane in charge so that he could ramrod Extremis through SI saying 'okay we took care of your problem Stane, now take care of mine.'. After all, he waited a little while for Pepper to be fully integrated into SI before approaching her.

18. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The only way I can swallow what happened is by assuming that it was some kind of double bluff, and Ben Kingsley really was the Mandarin. I know it's flawed, but it's the only way I can stomach what happened.

Honestly, the only good things about these movies have been Robert Downey Jr. and the design of the original Iron Man armor. The actual stories and storytelling have truly and utterly sucked. But Downey was just so perfect for the role and he is so charismatic that they're still watchable.

I'd love to see what we'd get with a decent script and talented director.

But even more, I"d love to see more faithful adaptations of all these characters. I hate this insistence on "having" to reinvent every little detail just because some college professor told some film students that so-and-so doesn't work on the big screen. So no one ever even bothers to try. It's ridiculous.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. The Iron Man movies are quite faithful to the source material, much more faithful than anyone expected them to be. It must be noted, however, that the original material is not very good and that you'd be hard pressed to name more than two Iron Man storylines which are considered to be bona fide classics of the superhero genre. Iron Man is much more successful as a movie character than he's ever been as a comic book character, which should tell you something about the perceived quality of the scripts and direction.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    I would disagree. I'm guessing your asking for someone to name story lines that aren't Demon in a Bottle or Armor Wars? Not sure that alone proves anything.

Iron Man has been a top tier comic character, in general for decades. It's not like he only had some 12-ish mini series. His movie success only showed to a general, wider audience why he's been published non-stop for over 40 decades and the success in that medium that he's had.