Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dale Sams, May 1, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not only do you not see it as a guilty pleasure, not only do you feel able to explain it's good qualities...but you can't UNDERSTAND the level of hate it engenders.

For me it's GENERATIONS. This isn't an invitation for people to explain what's wrong with it...I've heard it before. I'm more interested in finding out if other people have a particular episode/movie that they not only really like...but 'just don't get the hate'.

I'll give one example: I've seen people bag on Stewart's performance when he finds out about his nephew and brother....??????...I thought Stewart was excellent in that scene.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

And what's that DS9 episode that everyone hates? Move Along Home? The game one anyway. I like it.

Also, A Night In Sickbay.

3. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I agree with you on Generations.

Mine would have to be 11:59. I thought it was a nice break from the usual.

And if I could apply this concept to a character, it would be Dr. Pulaski. She was the most interesting person on the Enterprise during her brief stint.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Nemesis. It's the film that got me loving Star Trek again. I thought it was a lot of fun. Then I came online and found fans treating it like cancer:wtf:

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If applied to a person...well, I can understand people's aversion to Wesley, but HOLY CRAP was it taken out of proportion. Poor Wheaton. Everyone else on that frigging show has a role, and a valid emotional connection to at least one other cast mate.

Wesley might as well not even be related to Dr. Crusher for all they did with that. So what else is there for him? Young, inexperienced Ensign? At the very end they touched on that, but way too late.

I can't even imagine what that must have been like for him. Coming off "Stand By Me", and suddenly the world hates him, there's no real connection between him and the others...Roddenberry or Berman or whoever isn't letting him do movies (until they finally let him go).

At least Jake had a realistic relationship with his dad and a friend in Nog.

:scream: Not sure where that rant came from.

I thought it was dumb just for the tired 'evil twin' trope and accepted all the criticism at face value....until I actually sat down and watched the whole thing, then I was like...that..uhh...that was actually fairly good. I enjoyed that.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Episode: Spock's Brain.
    Movie: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I don't have 'the hate on' for either of these guilty pleasures.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

11:59 is hated? I had no idea.

I actually worked Shannon O'Donnell into one of my EUGENICS WARS novel . . ..

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mine is The Way to Eden. :)

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original motion picture. It's not the best outing, but it certainly doesn't deserve heat it gets

Darmok. It amazes me how many people get hung up on the minutia, and overlook the creativity and spirit of the Trek concept involved. Great Star Trek it is.

10. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Every Ferengi episode of DS9.

They're so much fun but I often feel like I'm the only one who realizes that.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with you on that one, I always liked those.. except maybe Profit and Lace. ;)

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one of the few people who really like Nemesis. I like every Mirror Universe episode except for Resurrection. I like Dr. Pulaski a lot. Unlike most other TNG characters she wasn't bland. I always hoped they'd bring her back.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There are always things I don't like in nearly every episode or film, but none that I particularly hate (except perhaps "Shades of Gray" for being a clip show).

What I do despise is the current trend in television to "reality" shows. They always have some sort of writing staff comprised of people with no previous credentials. Legitimate actors, directors, and other professionals don't get work. The only reason these shows exist is because it's cheaper for the networks and studios producing them.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Star Trek V, Generations, and ST:Nemesis

15. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I love almost all the Ferengi episodes, except "Profit and Lace". Just thinking about Quark as a woman makes my flesh crawl. :barf:

I wasn't aware that there was any hatred for "Darmok". I thought the whole concept of it was very original. And I like to say "Shaka when the walls fell" as an alternative metaphor for "Epic fail". :)

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, though there's certainly been some criticism of its premise, I haven't noticed any mass dislike for Darmok, either. Certainly nowhere near the scale of Spock's Brain, STV, Nemesis, or even Insurrection, not to mention my guilty pleasure.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My mileage varies on the Ferengi eps. In general, I like the ones, such as "House of Quark" or "Little Green Men," where the humor comes from the Ferengi interacting with other cultures, but the all-Ferengi eps, involving the Grand Nagus or Quark's family troubles, tend to be more exhausting than amusing.

The Ferengi are like spice; they add color and flavor, but a little goes a long way.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both of these for me. Well, ok, I can sorta understand the hate for the Ferengi. Not everyone appreciates comic relief to the same extent. Heck, I don't even appreciate it to the same extent week to week myself.

19. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I love Profit and Lace.

:/

20. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Really? Oops. Sorry, I was just expressing my own personal opinion. I realize not everyone feels the way I do. And I apologize for my use of the barfing emoticon. :)