So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

He was a teen writing fanfic (nothing wrong with that) whose parents bought a publisher in order to publish it for him...

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ To be fair, I guess they made back that money.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished Raise the Dawn.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking about reading Dune next. Is it really as good as everything I've read about it says?

5. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ IMHO no. I find Herbert's writing incredibly dull.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried reading Dune. It bored me to tears. I put it down and never tried again. That was nearly 30 years ago. I've thought about tryng it again but I never seem to have the time. I barely have time for Trek and my other reading. i guess I really don't have a desire to read it otherwise I would've made the time during those three decades.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've read Dune. All the way through.

Yep, it's dull. Very, very dull.

Duller than that in fact...

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Almost all of what I wanted to read about in Dune, learning the complexities of the worldbuilding, happened in a gap in the story that was skipped over. The appendices at the end had what I wanted, but I wanted to read about the characters learning that stuff. Pissed me off.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I might go with something else then. The other three books I'm debating reading are Somewhere Inside but Laura and Lisa Ling, Sandstorm by James Rollings, or Heat Wave by "Richard Castle" (has anyone ever said anything about who's really writing the "Richard Castle" books?).

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Judging from the thanks they give in the acknowledgments, it's almost certainly the show's creator/showrunner Andrew Marlowe and screenwriter/novelist Tom Straw. Which makes sense to me. I doubt they could coordinate the show and the books as well as they do without the direct participation of a showrunner, and only the showrunner could capture Nathan Fillion's voice as perfectly as the novels do with the "Jameson Rook" character.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok. I was wondering if maybe it was one of the members of Castle's Poker group.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's Tom Straw - I saw an article/interview about that a couple of years ago, though I forget where and wouldn't have the link any more.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently in a reading dry-spell. Working through Unworthy by Beyer again, since I read it a bit to fast the first time, and Abyss, the DS9 Section 31 novel. Always liked that one a lot.

I really need to start reading some more literature though, have been reading mostly Trek and a little Pratchett lately. Which is fantastic, but I need something more now.

14. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

15. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not sure why my last post went nuts... but I have removed it now

Anyway, Just finished Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru and if anyone is interested they can see my review Here

I just finished Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson as well which I enjoyed hugely.

I think it is going to be a fantasy book next though, maybe Broken Sword by Poul Anderson.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I think that happens when you copy&paste from somewhere (for example if you compose your post in Word and copy it over to post).

17. Christopher

But I'm certain Marlowe is participating too, at least contributing to the outline and doing revisions on Straw's work. As I said, the character voices are so perfectly captured that it most likely comes from the same hand that does the final draft of all the show's scripts. And the acknowledgments do thank Marlowe's family, something Straw alone would have no reason to do. I imagine something similar to how Shatner collaborates with his various co-authors -- they do the bulk of the day-to-day writing, but he shapes the plot, handles the main character's dialogue, and has the final revision and approval for everything.

I gather that the authors won't publicly acknowledge their authorship until after the TV series ends, so as to maintain the illusion.

18. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Considering how busy June was (Pride Weekend, a weekend in Portland, fighting my way back to a regular workout schedule) I got some good reading in, mostly in the second half of the month.

06/01/2012 Devil May Care (audiobook) by Sebastian Faulks
    06/10/2012 Redshirts by John Scalzi
    06/11/2012 Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (na) by Christopher L. Bennett
    06/14/2012 Fleet of Worlds (audiobook) by Larry Niven & Edward M. Lerner
    06/18/2012 The Minikins of Yam by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/19/2012 The Murex (nv) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/21/2012 Juggler of Worlds (audiobook) by Larry Niven & Edward M. Lerner
    06/21/2012 Winged Victory (ss) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/21/2012 Night of the Unicorn (ss) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/23/2012 Moondust by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/24/2012 Queens Walk in the Dusk by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/26/2012 The Dryad-Tree (ss) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/26/2012 The Painter (ss) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/26/2012 The Sudden Wings (nv) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    06/28/2012 Destroyer of Worlds (audiobook) by Larry Niven & Edward M. Lerner
    06/30/2012 Green Phoenix by Thomas Burnett Swann

Scalzi. Sigh. I know he's beloved of the geekarati, but he's just not to my taste. His snarky smart-ass protagonists don't appeal to me. It's like those profiles you see on Certain Websites where the dude thinks sneering and flipping you the bird is somehow attractive. No, just tiresome. Thus with Scalzi's characters. It's too bad, because the idea behind Redshirts is kind of cool. Frankly, I enjoy his blog a lot more than his novels.

Read Christopher Bennett's Star Trek: Typhon Pact e-novella The Struggle Within. That's a terribly generic title; the story was better. I was intending to start David R. George III's new Typhon Pact duology (Plagues of Night & Raise the Dawn) right after, but got sidetracked.

Thomas Burnett Swann wrote short lyrical fantasy stories and novels (most were really novellas, by current SFWA definition) about the interactions between humans and the prehumans who populated ancient Earth. Some remembrance of these interactions have come down to us in the form of myths and legends. Swann's stories are truly wonderful. And so very, very gay - in the best possible way. Swann is one of those lost & forgotten writers who certainly deserves to be remembered and read today. He died in 1976; the last time any of his work was in print in English was in 1996. Why doesn't the estate make it available in ebooks, at the very least? My old DAW and Ace and Ballantine paperbacks are getting pretty tattered.

The Niven/Lerner Fleet of Worlds series remind me a bit of those late-career novels by Asimov where he tried to stitch his three independent series into a single future history -- with mixed results. Niven seems to be attempting something similar here, adding context around stories such as "Neutron Star" and "The Soft Weapon". They're enjoyable listening while at the gym or driving back and forth to work, but when the Significant Other gets in the car with me I just shut off the sound system. It's too much work trying to explain how the current narrative fits together with Niven stories he read 3 or 4 decades ago.

19. Christopher

Thanks! My preferred title was The Courage of Conscience, but apparently that wasn't exciting enough or something.

20. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

And what I meant was "The story deserves a better title." It was a great story. That one, and your two DTI books have been excellent. Do you have any new Trek in the pipeline that's been announced yet?