Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poochie and I have problems.

He anally raped my grandmother while pouring sugar into my gastank.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm confused. Arnie's movie WAS the first Conan to hit the movie screens...

3. Guy Gardener

When I was your age, movies were called Books.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I almost brought the Conan thread back as well but didn't recall enough interest in the film. I also enjoyed the film. It was about 15min too long but it wasn't an entertainment turkey like GL imo.

Same here. It was $10 at Wal-Mart and I passed. At $5 maybe, I mean I even got Jonah Hex at $6 so maybe then.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got the disc from Netflix and watched it earlier today. It actually wasn't as bad as I expected, but it wasn't anything amazing either. Didn't like it as much as much any of the Marvel movies or Nolan's Batman films. If the poll were still open I would have gone with a B-.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed it a lot. The film was dark, visually not thematically, and I wish some scenes were a little brighter. All in all I liked it. I would like to see a sequel but I am not holding my breath.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think there are some really good ideas there that could lead to some really interesting stuff in a sequel.

8. The_Emperor

The_Emperor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, I'm pretty sure they were still called movies.

And his last name is spelled "Gardner."

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Was this a hack or a real post?

Nevertheless, this is difficult. For thread necromancy that involves Green Lanterns, I can make a snarky comment involving Driq of Criq or I can make one on "Blackest Night." Can't decide which. Help!

11. Guy Gardener

In my spare time, I built a timemachine into a dildo, so how about I let you use it, so that you can go tell me how to spell my own name back in 1999 when it mattered.

The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a sex toy, why not do it with some style?

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that was actually a pretty good analysis in that Honest Trailer-- "Too nerdy for the mainstream, and too mainstream for the nerds."

Still though, I don't think GL was really any worse than a lot of other generic superhero movies out there. It was certainly more fun and entertaining than the last couple dreary Spider-Man movies, and the story isn't any less of a mess than IM2's or X3's.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, hell no - on the Blake Lively vs. Emma Stone count alone, not to mention the Reynolds vs. Garfield one. :rommie:

Please - IM2 successfully introduced Nick Fury (to general audiences that missed him in the first post-credits scene), the concept of SHIELD as a decades-old organization (a soft retcon at least of the IM1 organization that apparently didn't have an established acronym), Black Widow, and Tony and Pepper's couple-dom.

Green Lantern established the GL Corps as a bunch of dicks who decide not to do their jobs, and then let a fresh recruit who's just quit take his Power Rangers ring with him, even though he just quit. And then Evil Pink Dude puts on an evil Power Rangers ring for no reason.

All-around winner: IM2, not even close. :cool:

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

IM2 also had characters you could care about. Technically, the story may have been less than it could have been but I didn't find myself caring that much. I loved the portrayal of Iron Man, War Machine, Fury, Black Widow, and Pepper.

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's also more difficult because we now have an outer-space/super-hero movie done right that makes Green Lantern look even worse by comparison.

16. davejames

Well no doubt there's a huge difference in the quality of actors, but that doesn't change the fact I found the Spidey movies painfully generic and uninspired.

GL may have been a bit cheesy, but at least we got to see some new superpowers we hadn't really seen before, and used in a pretty fun way.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Somebody open the windows, it smells like 2011 in here....

18. davejames

And IM2 may have introduced a lot of new characters, but it was all in service of a story that didn't really work, and revolved around a couple of pretty lame villains.

The racetrack sequence was awesome, and it was fun watching Scarlett kick ass at the end, but other than that the movie just never really worked for me at all.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm less worried about whether the movie was any good than the fact that a 2½-year dead thread is now shambling around.

Let me rephrase the question. What smells worse: Driq of Criq, a Black Lantern, or this thread?

20. davejames

Well hey, if we can have a million threads debating the SW prequels or Spidey 3, then we can have at least one neverending Green Lantern thread. :D