Okay guys. *This* really IS a good idea for a new series.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dale Sams, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The Section 31 Protocols"

...bear with me...I hear your eyes rolling.

Setting: NuTrek universe
    Time: About the same as NuTrek
    Premise: My fanboy theory that Spock had to allow himself to be debriefed on future threats. The reasoning being that events as he knows them have been obliterated. Polluting the timeline? The timeline is a Legos Enterprise stuck in a barrel and sent over Niagra Falls. It would be incredibly irresponsible not to tell the Federation about the pancake creatures or that the Gorn have claimed Cestus III. And it's naive to subtly push the Enterprise towards any lingering threat and hope for the best.

No, Starfleet would need to create an entire division to deal with these threats. And that's where our heroes come in. One starship (among many) to deal with threats familiar to our audience.

...bear with me....

It doesn't just HAVE to be the USS Chekov's Gun boringly shoving a fusion bomb hidden in an asteroid down the Doomsday Machine's maw. No, the reasoning behind familiar threats is keep the audience grounded in the familiar and give them anticipation. Our heroes would also get into their own adventures.

Another running plot could be, "Can the Feds be trusted with this info?" It only took them two years to grab some augments, tap Khan's brain, try and start a war and render their entire fleet (including the brand new Enterprise) obsolete.

There's several ways this could go.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I stopped right here...

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it so much... that I suggested it a while back. ;) Except that I had Spock Prime putting together his own team and (Vulcan?) ship(s), rather than involving Section 31 or even Starfleet directly. What happened when he revealed Khan's location may even be why he decided to do it on his own. (On his own... with Guinan, and Data's head?)

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I was about to as well but read on until I got to:
    I think I'll pass thanks.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish that I had. :(

6. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish I stopped before even clicking on the thread. But since I didn't, after the events of Into Darkness, why would Starfleet even allow Section 31 to continue to exist?

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

As things are now, do they?

The Kelvin archive became their new main HQ and Vengeance seems to have been the flying backup, both where totalled, in public.

I think S31 is largely out of personnel and equipment at the very least, probably public knowledge and on the receiving end of court martials or penal sentences most likely.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

This would be expecting rather too much logic from the same Starfleet that just sort of watched while its own flagship fell burning out of the skies over Earth.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus Spock Prime already mentioned he isn't telling them anything about the future so as not to screw up the new timeline, with the exception of Khan likely due to the bastard nearly killing the whole Enterprise crew both times they ran into him.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Exactly, they found Khan by accident, they may have been exploring a lot after Nero, but I'll bet they largely retreated to Earth to work on the weapons projects under London the moment they realised what they could do with him.

Khan knew how to cripple S31 as part of his revenge plot. I'll bet he even suggested consolidating their forces their and in the Vengeance project so he'd have fewer targets to hit.

No I don't think we'll be seeing them again.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Scotty's interstellar transporter already did that.

Breen fleet approaching

(sigh) Okay, beam some antimatter bombs out of the warehouse in Omaha and into their ships and let me get back to sleep

:)

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And yet, Starfleet has begun the 5 year mission program, expanded the fleet and refitted the Enterprise at great expense.

Plus the technology is either lost or rendered rather useless without Scotty's cooperation to make it viable again.

So yeah, two years on, transwarp beaming is as obsolete as it was before.

13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect it has the same flaw as the transwarp beaming from TNG - use it a few times and it kills you. Not great for long term exploration, maybe okay to beam Kirk and Scotty once, and Khan was relatively unaffected because of his healing ability. Certainly doesn't obsolete the fleet.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

15. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Now that is an idea for a new series. Guinan stomps the cosmos, serving coffees and dishing out advice, with data's head hidden in her hat as the comic relief :techman:

16. BillJ

It wasn't done to offend the original poster, I just have zero interest in any series that features Section 31. To me, it was the absolute worst addition to the Trek universe and is now everyone's favorite bogey-man.

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I completely agree with you, sir - on both counts. Gene Roddbenberry seemed to be toying with a very similar idea in the 1st Season TNG episode "CONSPIRACY," actually. But seemed to not want to commit to it fully, and enshrouded it in one of the most incompetently fabricated puppets I have ever seen in a STAR TREK series, before. Their only saving grace was that they were better executed than the marionettes in the original series episode "CATSPAW" -- but just barely! But Section 31 is just as lame as either or both of these. I really wish this element hadn't been introduced. But ... it has. It is what it is ...

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If S31 is a competent organization then I suspect they never would have put all their eggs solely in London and upon the Vengeance.

Hell, the events of ID may be what lead it to become a covert organization in this timeline.

Or some "patriot" will establish a new organization and simply appropriate the name. Finding people who believe the ends always justify the means has never been a challenge.

That said, it's not a storyline I care to pursue.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

This is why we need a straight reboot. I mean, if this entire forum isn't proof that Trek fans need a serious continuity detox, I don't know what is.

20. BillJ

+1