Those with LEGIT Voyager DVDs, please help

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by msdossys, Nov 28, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It took me ten years to buy all of Star Trek. This is why I am not falling over myself about Blu-rays.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm certainly not going to buy TOS or TNG on blu-ray. Can't think of anything worse than those ghastly dated uniforms and sets in high def (TNG, I'm looking at you :lol:). Though am curious about sfx so wouldn't mind borrowing a boxset sometime. Also my player tends to make bog-standard DVDs look sharper/better anyway. PS: love your Borg cube, teacake:)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Both shows look incredible in HD, uniforms included.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My DVD's have hand written labels in my hand writing, are they legit?

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I guess I just don't "get" the excitement over bluray. I didn't get it over HD channels either. Sure it's a bit better, but is it worth spending a few hundred more dollars to get a set of DVDs that are slightly better than the ones I already have? I don't think so.

6. BillJ

I do.

It's a night and day difference when watching TNG seasons one and two. I've spent roughly the same for seasons one and two on Blu-ray that I spent for a single season on DVD. And my dedicated player that I bought in 2009 was about a hundred dollars cheaper than what I paid for my first DVD player back in 2001.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey spend your money how you want. Being able to see the zippers clearly just doesn't enhance my Trek experience. If it does for you, enjoy it. :p

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I spent ten years acquiring all of Star Trek on dvd (we'll skip the video era, don't even want to think about that outlay) and since my television is an enormous box that would kill you if it fell on you that I got off the hard rubbish ten years ago and since I haven't got a blu ray player I've always been utterly meh about bluray.

But this week something heartbreaking happened. I was in a great big shop and they had a great big flat screen and they had The Empires Strikes Back playing on BLURAY and I actually almost cried. It was crisper than real life. I had to tear myself away from it.

I was completely overcome by tech envy.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Since I upgraded to BR I only tend to buy BR, and I haven't really double-dipped and upgraded DVD's to BR if I already have them.

10. BillJ

I rarely double-dip. But there are certain things I will pay the cash for when they are upgraded. I own all the available Star Trek Blu-rays, the original Star Wars trilogy and upgraded some of my sons favorite movies.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Stating it's merely "a bit better" is MASSIVELY underselling the difference in quality IMHO. Take the TNG Blu-ray's for example, the increase in sharpness, clarity, contrast, colour rendition etc is colossal - a bit better is not even close. The DVD's are pitiful in comparison.

I fully understand some people don't wish to invest in new technology - fair enough. But Blu-ray has been plagued by this ridiculous "it's not much better" nonsense since inception - often by those (not suggesting you here, Star Grinch) who haven't really observed the format properly, or worse, not at all - and are merely parroting the bullshit.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So in season one the cast is much hotter and you can make out all curves and bulges under those smocks with deeper clarity, but in season seven they're all much more haggard, droopy and drawn?

That doesn't sound like an apt reward for stickitudity,