Any old timers still around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kgibsonuk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

the current Captains Lounge is pretty good, too. I really felt sorry when I got promoted.

Reza! Thanks for reminding me. I had completely forgotten about him. We didn't have much direct interaction but the name was omnipresent in some sections of the board.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Admirals' Lounge used to be a hive of frenetic activity just a few years ago. We had several pages of current threads that were being posted in at any given time and the traffic in and out of the AL was constant. It was a happenin' spot on the boards, that's for sure.

Things have slowed down a whole lot since then. I believe that right now there's just one page of threads in the AL menu and it's not even three-quarters or even two-thirds full. Activity over there has really trailed off in the last couple of years and I don't think there are more than just a few active threads at any given moment. Still, it's a place with a whole lot of fond memories.

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I like the lounges in small doses. Pretty much only like the check-in thread to see what people are up to. I like interacting with posters on a smaller level like that, but I can't stand game threads and such. The lounge has been a very supportive place for me and I'm sure many others could say the same, so it's definitely appreciated.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way, and it's one of the reasons why whenever I say I would post more in the lounge, that ends up not being the case. I like the idea of the lounges being a more intimate misc forum to get to know people who are the same level as you and feel comfortable with the place as a whole. Then when you get up to the Admiral Lounge and there are no more lounges after that, it almost becomes unnecessary because it's pretty much game threads. I don't even post in the check in threads anymore.

5. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I use to participate a lot in the lounges but lately I rarely post at all. I'm most active when I'm on vacation, that's because the wife won't let me do anything but relax.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Ditto!

But I like the inspirational thread titled "What are you Watching?"

7. rhubarbodendron

hmm, there are two possible solutions: either you wait another decade or two till I have made it to Admiral and bring some fresh air into the lounge, or you all ask Bonzie to demote you so that you can get back to the lower lounges and make new friends and have new fun. Just going through option #2 myself in some manner, I can honestly recommend it. There are a lot of awfully nice people among the lower ranks who are well worth getting to known better.

8. trekkiedane

Re. Option #2:
    Being a newbie on their first rise through the lounges is made tremendously more interesting when there is an 'oldbie' passing by on their second tour!
    When I was on my first (and, so far; only) tour we had Tristian (now: StarMan) to help make the lounges an interesting place :)

ETA: Thanks SM - I don't think I've ever said that to you, but your presence in the lounges at that time was something I treasure even today [​IMG]

9. rhubarbodendron

let's not forget another advantage of the lounges: they always have the nicest mods :)
    On my first round it was Stastny and Darkening and now Trampledamage and Orac Zen hold up that fine tradition. I daresay the lighthanded moderation is no minor factor in making the Lounges such a comfortable place.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I love those two.

11. cooleddie74

I've always enjoyed trampledamage's pink elephant avatars. The one with Tony Stark was great.

12. trekkiedane

Not to mention Spider :)

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Well well, look at all the fine folk assembled here. Tremendous seeing so many familiar names. :)

I can't believe I have been a member for over 8 1/2 years now. Although, I was absent long enough I probably shouldn't count one at least.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The lounges were a busy place back when I modded them (:p), and I enjoyed sharing the duty with Captain Ice. Lots of fun. :D

15. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kept thinking about you, so you weren't forgotten. :)

Also, I've been a member longer than you have? I didn't know that.

16. cooleddie74

Yeah, I thought Praetor had been around at least 10 years. It seems like he's been a part of the big family here for a good decade or so.

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Another good lounge moderator was Huntingdon. A great bloke and good friend. I liked when he was the mod there, or one of them.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

It was easier to spam when he was drunk... :whistle: Hunt's a good starfish.

19. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    And I with you, bub. How long's it been now?

This is true. He definitely influenced the mood in the lounges. Remember when he was the only lounge mod?

20. cooleddie74

After Enterpriser was banned I think that Huntingdon was the board's most prolific poster for a good while. I recall him having more posts than anyone else in the BBS for a stretch of time during the early-to-mid part of the last decade. Good guy.