Instead of Windows Piracy - Use Linux!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by USS KG5, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Once again you've demonstrated your ignorance. Plesae stop posting

Instead go and an read about everything that runs on Linux from the smalled netbook to the world's faster supercomputer.

Read up on much of the net run on Linux.

Read up on VOIP telephone systems.

Read up on big iron servers running.

Hell it wouldn't suprise me if the Trekbbs was running on a Linux server.

And there is no way in hell you could be running a combination of Windows 2000 and Windows 98. Their core design was totally different. Win2K was derived from Windows NT which had alwasy been pure 32bit. Windows 98 evolved from the 16bit line (Windows 3.x) and while predominately a 32bit operating system still had a large amount of 16bit code.

Because of it's NT origins Windows 2000 had a level of security that 98 could only dream about.

2. noknowes

noknowes Lieutenant Commander

I AM NOT DISPUTING LINUX BASED SERVERS,ETC AS YOU SAY.

I am talking about desktops and real people like everyday joe who need to work and get something accomplished without mastering an infinite number of linux distros.

Bill Gates invented windows so AVERAGE JOE people could do work with it.

i have never seen an office with linux based desk tops in it.

my os was designed by me installing win 98 then installing win2000 on top of it.

i found most of my 1232 win98 programs still worked on it!

3. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    You're running Windows 2000, then. When you upgraded, Window 98 was essentially overwritten. The programs still work because of Microsoft's standardization and backward-compatibility. Most programs work on multiple versions of Windows, typically at least three of them.

I agree that Linux is currently not as user-friendly as Windows, but it has usefulness to some user groups now, and it has potential to be better in the future.

4. Marc

No Bill Gates did not invent Windows.

The original Windows concept was created by Xerox at their Palo Alto Research Centre (Xerox PARC) around 1972. Steve Jobs was exposed to the idea of a GUI during a tour in the 1970s.

In 1982/3 Apple released the Lisa - the first GUI based system available for commerical sale.

The LISA flopped due to Job's mindset but it gave Birth to the Apple MacIntosh which came out in 1984.

At the time of LISA Microsoft had no Windows system. Version 1 of windows was developed and completed in 1985 but severly limited. Version 2 was out in 1987. It wasn't until the 80386 systems beceme prevelent in the late 1980s/early 90s that we saw Windows begin to take off both with the release of more Windows based apps and the advent of Windows 3.0 in 1990

Microsoft then introduced network in what became Windows for Workgroups.

You line about having never seen and office desktop with Linux on reeks of ignorance. Perhaps I shold say I've never seen you there for you do not exist.

A trust me you have no fucking idea how to design an operating system.

Operating systems to do not, I repeat do not merge - they replace.

Having worked in IT since 1989 I've done my fair share of upgrades on both Desktops and Servers so unlike you, I think I know what I'm talking about.

5. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

^^ You are absolutely right. However, it does feel like you're talking to a door -- I doubt noknowes will pick up any information. :D

6. DiSiLLUSiON

That's so recognizable, it's uncanny. :D

7. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your whole post is a bit odd - but surely this is hardly fair on the community, especially your fellow posters?

Apart from anything else the Open Source community as a whole has produced products like OpenOffice which I sam actually planning to use to help the business I work for save money!

Hardly an idle waste!

8. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

This cracks me up. Bill Gates invented NOTHING. Bill Gates at best positioned Microsoft just right back in the day. In fact wasn't Microsoft DOS purchased from someone else? Or am I thinking of another progra?

I LOVE how people blame him for all the little faults and quirks and problems with Microsoft products as if he had a hand in any of the actual coding.

Well back to work at my office on my Linux desktop. :)

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but none of those things indicate that Linux is unreliable, all of the things point to user error if you ask me.

1) The command line interface has existed since before GUIs came along, it is not unreliable.

2) "Weird" symbols are not an indication of unreliability, they're just different from what you're used to.

3) Were you running the OS directly from the CD? If so then you shouldn't be surprised that it was slow, the OS is designed to run from your HDD, and on my PCs Ubuntu runs faster than Windows.

4) Depending on which GUI your Linux distro was running you should be able to change the fonts to your requirements, you not knowing how to do that is not an indication of unreliability.

5) Some AOL modems can be a nightmare to install even on a Windows OS and sometimes they tie in the connection phase with their browser. I would suggest that that problem had more to do with AOL's crappy software and drivers rather than Linux itself.

6) The loss of broadband connection is potentially a reliability issue, but much like my problem with the sound-card it is just as likely to be a driver problem with the hardware manufacturer.

7) No intuitive messages is not an indication of unreliability, even the simplest of linux distros requires the user to know what they are doing. It is not designed on the same principles that it should be user-friendly as Windows and OSX are, it is designed so that you can easily get stuff done when you know how things work.

For example, in XP Microsoft changed the control panel so that it is easier to navigate if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. I don't like that because I know my way around the basic control panel and I don't want to have to click my way through three menus to open the application I want when I can just do it in one. That's why in XP, Vista and 7 I have it set to show all control panel items. It seems to me that Linux is like that; if you know what you are doing it is faster and more powerful than Windows, if you don't know what you are doing you're likely to get confused.

That's irregardless anyway, it is not a reliability issue.

I don't think that Linux is for everybody, I admire it and enjoy using it from time to time, but I'm too used to Windows and that's where all my software works anyway. Linux will never take off with the average computer user, and it certainly wont take off with the stupid computer users, but it is not because Linux is unreliable it is purely because linux is not designed for them. Nor should it be.

Windows ME?!! :eek:

10. USS KG5

I believe it was partly based on an OS called QUDOS that was bought, I think.

I think in the early days Bill did do a fair bit of coding.

11. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Maybe so but now he's many many steps removed from the actual coding and testing phases, as are the heads of nearly all major billion-dollar operations.

12. DiSiLLUSiON

Yes, but current-day Windows has as much in common with Windows 2.0 as oranges have to toads.

13. Marc

yes it was a program call QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System). Cost Gates at total of $75,000.

and yes Gates was a programmer in his early days. There's no doubt is he's smart cooking (in the brains sense as well as business sense).

IBM went looking for a operating system for their new computer and first approached Digital Research but that didn't work out (the story goes IBM had pretty viscious NDA combined with Gary Kildall not being there and never knew they came calling).

Gates bought QDOS, relelablled and did a successful sales job to IBM and the rest is history.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Gates convinced IBM that MS should be allowed to keep the rights to MS-DOS and IBM agreed because they didn't think there was any money in software. Probably one of the worst business decisions any company ever made, unless you're Gates in which case it was the business decision that made you the richest man in the world for a time.

15. USS KG5

What has that got to do with anything I said? The discussion was about where Windows originally came from not where it is right now.

16. DiSiLLUSiON

My bad; I read it wrong.

17. USS KG5

No prob dude. :)

18. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I use Linux (the latest Ubuntu) only for programming and running simulations. I write all the simulations I need for my research on C since I need very long runs and C+Linux combination is the only sane option ... Other than that, I can't find any use for Linux, especially when I can download a perfectly legal copy on Windows from MSDNAA. I absolutely despise Open Office, don't have enough patience to write in LyX/LaTEX and don't care for all the Linux "versions" of familiar Windows progs. And don't forget the games ...

19. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

ReactOS looks interesting to me. I'm planning on watching to see how it comes along.

20. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

What's wrong with Open Office? Just curious, i've been using it for four years now and don't understand the hate some folks assign to it. :confused: