AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demiurge

Demiurge Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Not another source, the same source - it reiterates the information and sites the 1st source.

Personally that plot sounds pretty dubious to me. It's far to convoluted for such a film to be successful with a mainstream audience, and Marvel isn't going to risk their franchise piece.

Indeed, with as many cast members in the Avengers, I'd have a hard time seeing large elements of screen time devoted to the badies.

But I guess we'll see.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I think everything we've heard so far makes a certain amount of sense given what we've seen in the movies so far. Considering where Loki and the Skull end up at the end of their last appearances, it makes sense for them to meet on some other plane. We've already seen the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor, and I can't imagine Thanos getting a Hell of a lot of screen time. His appearance (if any) will more than likely be brief plot device that will establish his character for the audience (ala Nick Fury in Iron Man and Hawkeye in Thor) to set up some future movie--probably Thor 2 or the proposed Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I doubt the accuracy of at least some of that "leak". We already know per the end of Thor that the Macguffin for Avengers is the Cosmic Cube, not the Infinity Gauntlet.

The bit about Red Skull could be true though, he has a history with the Cube after all.

BTW: I totally geeked out at RDJ's line in the trailer: "If we can't save the world, we d*** sure are gonna avenge it!"

Way to go RDJ! Hope that line stays in.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abomination is in The Avengers? Thanks for spoiling that for me. :mad:

:p

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As has been mentioned though we've also seen the Infinity Gauntlet and the Thanos rumours have been constant since "Thor". I don't like the fact that the source are the same guys with the Bradley Cooper as Luthor rumour for "Man of Steel" That kind of puts me off.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Thanos' appearance will be the post-credits scene. I'm not familiar with the character yet, but it seems like the kind of thing that Marvel might do to up the excitement for future movies. And I find it hard to believe that they'd put a possible third (or fourth) villain in a movie that already has at least one, maybe two or even three villains (depending on what exactly happens with Hulk), and between six or eight major heroes (depending on how big a role Nick Fury and Maria Hill play). IMO that would just make it way to cluttered for a two to two and a half hour movie.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanos is a major player in the Marvel Universe on a cosmic scale. It would be great to see him but it'd be a shame to not have the Silver Surfer.
    If he appears it would likely be as a result of the aftermath. Loki has perhaps made it easier for Thanos to now collect the gems. He wouldn't just mess with Earth, not a normal MO for him. His target would be a galaxy or universe itself.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually, Thanos' primary motivation has always been love. Unfortunately, the object of his affection is the the embodiment of Death, so he tries not to conquer all life, but rather deliver it all to "her". Creepy shit...

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. It's an obsessive love as well, of which I believe Death has not really returned or shared Thanos' love.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe he should universe hop and try the DC Death. She's more of a fun girl.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well, if you like Goth Chicks. ;)

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Who doesn't?

13. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, in the period leading up to the Annihilation event, Marvel began depicting Death and a young teenage girl with gothy attributes... not unlike DC's depiction.

Course, since the Decimation event, they went back to depicting her much less young and gothy.

14. Captain Craig

Paul Lacovara is Tom Hiddelston's stunt double as Loki in the film and has conducted an interview. Along with shots of him in action as Loki vs Captain America!!
    And yes he's heard some news about Thor 2 but can't reveal any of what's been discussed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if this movie bombs?

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Yeah, right.

17. Captain Craig

Bombs, no way.
    I'm sure everyone will claim what expectations are and some might try to say disappointment or underwhelming. Depending on what it's final take is but bomb it will not do.
    The fan base is built in enough to guarantee a $100m+ OW and I'm wagering $20-30m in midnight showings. It's initial days ensures it will not bomb.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, I'm guessing it will look like Cap is able to fight Loki before Loki wipes the floor with him.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it could bomb or at least do very disappointing box-office numbers

It's the most top-heavy superhero film ever made. It's directed by someone who is not well-liked by the people I've talked to - those people who aren't Whedon-heads, or Red Coats. It's written and directed by someone who hasn't exactly ever set the box office afire. It's also someone who if not nearly as clever or as witty as he thinks he is, and I doubt he can table his own own ego long enough to tell a story worth telling. Let me ask; is there really a story here at all? I''ve been critical of the Dark Knight as of late, but the reason it was successful is that it had a story, something that you can really sink your teeth into. The most this film has is bickering superhero's somehow crammed together for an over-stuffed picture.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, at this point there been so much build up with the other movies that I find it very hard to accept that this could actually do bad at the box office.
    Is there really that much dislike for Joss Whedon? I know he might not be a big enough name to draw people to the theater on his name alone, but I didn't think he was actually going to be driving people away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.