When Geordi cries, do his tears and the VISOR electrocute him?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by doubleohfive, Feb 16, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Title says it all. Do they?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"No."

Answer says it all.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We have (iirc) seen Geordi wearing the VISOR in the rain, he wasn't harmed from that, and the VISOR wasn't damaged just from getting wet.

Nor is there any indication that the VISOR requires an unusually amount of power to function. It might event be powered by Geordi himself through the terminals at his temples, feeding off of Geordi's nervous system.

:)

4. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trying to hard to be funny...

5. Lost Astronaut

Lost Astronaut Cadet Newbie

Geordi doesn't cry because he's John Wayne like that.

6. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We never saw Geordi cry with the VISOR on. If he had, it would have been, well, shocking.

:devil:

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

How do you know?

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

How can u just leave me standing?
    Alone in on a ship that's so cold? (So cold)
    Maybe I'm just 2 demanding
    Maybe I'm just like my father 2 bold
    Maybe you're just like my mother
    She's missing in action (She's missing in action)
    Why do we scream at each other
    This is what it sounds like
    When Geordi cries...

(oh come on, I can't be the only one who thought of it on reading the title? :D)

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, nothing in the Trek universe "uses electricity" but some other advanced power source. Geordi's VISOR also is likely powered by the temporal nodes which likely generate power from his own body's burning of calories for energy. So, no, I don't think him crying would cause him to be electrocuted since the power in the thing is not that great and I also suspect that the designers of the thing would have thought of that.

00? You feeling okay? This is an oddly spammy/pointless thread for you.

10. doubleohfive

I'm fine, thanks. :)

Honestly, I watched "Measure of a Man" last night and my roommate and I were crackin' wise throughout, and during the party scene early in the episode, Geordi is (understandably) bummed. We joked that he couldn't cry because the VISOR would electrocute him, and then laughed even harder when he suggested I post the question as a thread here.

"Can you imagine how many people would answer it seriously?"

Which sounds really asshole-y when I read that back, but it was more just a matter of posting the most inane thing we could think of. And I think we can all agree - of all the pointless discussions that go on here on this BBS, this is pretty damn inane :lol:

11. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

If so, I'd hate to see what happens when Data gets wet.

12. doubleohfive

^ Well, Tasha did die...

13. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because I am a Serial TNG Watcher. I've seen every episode more times than I can count. I do not recall a single instance where Burton mustered a tear in TNG, with the exception of Insurrection when Geordi witnessed his first sunrise with his regenerated eyes. It's possible I could have missed an instance, but I don't think so.

14. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, him and Tasha... [nudge nudge, wink wink]

15. mclea1mm

mclea1mm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just speculating, but it seems to me that Geordi may have simply removed the VISOR if he really felt a good cry coming on, much in the way someone wearing glasses would. It'd be the same if he shed only a single tear, or even if his eyes just felt tired/fatigued.

I imagine if there was some kind of fluid reservoir built in the VISOR it would have to be small, and therefore emptied frequently... sounds like a pain if you can just take it off.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Because we never saw it. Even if it did happen.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Geordi was clearly very upset and distraught as he suffered from the Psi 2000 Virus Variant in "The Naked Now." I'd say that -story wise- he was "crying" in those scenes even if we never saw tears (which can be chalked up to a simple production or acting limitation.)

18. Hedbergian

Hedbergian Commodore Commodore

Yea, it would electrocute him. And I bet he'd be like one of those dramatic types, like "Oh God I wanna die" or "Boo hoo, my face is melting".

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That was pretty much my point though. How do you know he never cried while wearing the VISOR? (And also Alrik; Geordi cries in Nemesis too, so you're not infallible. ;) )

And see what's happened now? We're discussing a portion of the topic seriously, so we technically we all lose. :cardie:

20. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I could have sworn he was crying during in "The Naked Now", during both talking to Tasha, and when Bev was testing the cure from Kirk's time to see if it works.

And I doubt he'd be electrocuted, the guys who designed the VISOR would have to realize that the wearer of these might cry on occasion, be it emotional or something got in the eyes. Would be bad designing otherwise. I think the VISOR draws energy from the person, like the travel machines the Daleks use, since in "Death to the Daleks", they were able to move, despite the energy siphoning of the Exxilon City.