And Cumberbatch's Character Is? [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

They've already done that in Lost with the Man in Black. It frustrated people (including myself) to no end that he wasn't even given a first name.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Please don't presume to think for me, thank you.

3. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

How do you know? They have access to information at Paramount that we are not privy of. It could have been that Roddenberry had a backstory for Lt Harrison kept in the archives. Only Orci and Kurtzman would have knowledge of this.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Uh-huh. Why would they give a fuck about Roddenberry?

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

All that mystery for John Harrison? I don't know...I think it might be another diversion. Otherwise, JJ was being completely ridiculous by keeping the name hidden for so long.

6. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Unless it's not actually his real name and merely a pseudonym he goes by throughout the movie? (it's not like Darth Vader was ever directly addressed or billed as Anakin Skywalker in the original Star Wars trilogy)

Hell, he could even fill the Shinzon or Sybok profile, in that he has a particularly personal (initially unrevealed, presumably) connection to one of the characters or is connected to a well known character introduced in the prime verse.

7. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

The preview has me convinced that he's Garth. Cumberbatch was carrying himself with the regal madness of a great man who has fallen. To me that screams the Hero of Axanar more than Mitchell.

8. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will say it's possible it's a pseudonym, but I also think they've been playing on the fact that everyone assumes it's going to be a retread villain. They put obvious imagery in the teaser indicating BOTH Khan and Mitchell, the two most popular theories. I am actually MORE excited that it's a new character because now they're actually EXPANDING the Star Trek universe rather than continuing to play in the already established stuff. Why would you reboot a universe to tell a slightly different version of the same story?

9. Shilliam Watner

This was posted over at Trekmovie a few moments ago. It makes sense. Here it is:

[Trekkies, Pay attention to this post by:
    311. Jack Zymurgy – December 10, 2012

I didn’t see this posted above. Here is the Memory Alpha entry for Lt. Harrison, who looks like Benicio Del Toro:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison

Congratulations Jack, you found our villain.
    Oric said it was some one from TOS, and he didn’t lie.
    Fan boys started mulling over all the major villains, having conniptions as actors were announced to be in the running for the role.

Now we can understand why they were originally looking for specific ethic types: To better fit the role of the lowly Lt. Harrison, who in this new timeline becomes the most dreaded and feared man ever to live and brings the Federation down to it’s knee’s.
    Some one we know absolutely NOTHING ABOUT.

But was there in canon.

Would it have fit better if they found ome one that looked like the original actor who played Harrison, sure,
    but being such a minor unnoticed player, and running out of time to find the right actor, they simply found a solid actor who can portray this guy and hand in a grand performance….which is what really counts]

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must admit, the idea that a quiet, good but unspectacular officer becomes this awesome engine of destruction in another life is pretty cool.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Do you actually think Roddenberry created a backstory for a background character, played by an extra who barely had any lines? He barely created backstories for "regulars" like Uhura and Sulu!!!

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

No way they're releasing the real name of the villain in such a nonchallant manner. A caption on a still from the film? After all the secrecy? Way too anticlimatic.

13. Shilliam Watner

14. Bishop76

I figured Eve was going to be Carol Marcus - I actually kind of like the ridgeless Klingons. Makes it extra cool that they wear the ridged battle helmets. Maybe we'll get a good story explanation for it...

15. Shilliam Watner

Possibly. Chekov hardly ever had any lines of importance. It's possible Harrison's had lines but were deleted in scripts or edited out.

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

They have treated Enterprise as common back story for this and the prime universe. mostly they are Deformed Klingons who feel shame.

17. Bishop76

Yeah, but that wasn't a good story. I want a good story for why they're ridgeless.

18. Shilliam Watner

And don't forget that updated NX-01 looking starship out of control crashing into San Francisco Bay in the teaser.

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Hear that, Paramount? Bishop76 isn't happy with the canon! Better do something about it! Or else...

:rolleyes:

Huh? It's impossible to make out any of the distinctive features on that ship.

20. Bishop76

Do you honestly think that anyone at Paramount cares about what fans consider "canon"? They created an alternate universe Trek just so they wouldn't HAVE to worry about that. I hate to shatter your illusions, but if ignoring anything fans consider canon would make them $10 more on this film, they'd do it without a second thought.