You're the Worst is not the Worst.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3228420/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

New sitcom from FX about the spiralling concerns after a cursed wedding assault meetcute resulting in a dysfunctional love affair between tragic broken people. One is a sarcastic self concerned Englishman in LA, while the other is a self-sabotaging ginger with a dark sense of irony and no reservations. They are crass and awful and discompliment each other perfectly.

I also saw the pilot for Married today and it might be the worst. Almost funny in places but the male lead has been responsible for so many abortions that I have completely no faith in him.

2. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed You're the Worst as well. The two leads have pretty great chemistry and the writing is sharp. I hope the series maintains the quality established in the pilot.

Unfortunately, I also agree about Married. Not crazy about the concept, the male lead (that guy), or the writing. Jenny Slate has more lines and screen time than Judy Greer? What an absolute waste. Greer deserves a better role on a better show.

3. Guy Gardener

I think God needed a three day weekend after he made Judy Greer.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn it, I decided to DVR Married (mostly because of Judy Greer and John Hodgman's involvement) and not You're the Worst. Looks like I backed the wrong horse.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, You're the Worst was a lot of fun. And I can see it going to some really interesting places.

Married... boy, I really wanted to like it. But. It's not funny. It's. Boring. Poor Jenny Greer.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd feel more sorry for Judy Greer being in those stupid Sprint commercials where she's married to a talking gerbil.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I finally watched it off the DVR today, I thought it was okay. Kinda like a member of the In-Betweeners grew up, became a writer and moved to California. I agree that the two leads have some good chemistry. I'll continue to watch, I guess.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Married: Judy Greer is always good, as is Jenny Slate, and the husband makes me laugh a bit because he seems to have a permanent pained look on his face. I liked the show actually, mainly because of how it can make light of some big issues in marriage like one partner having to look elsewhere for sex. In the end, it pulled it's punches but maybe it was for the best.

You're the Worst: I loved the two leads. Messed up? More like unrestrained, unapologetic and full of raw sexuality. Just the right amount of good looks helps too. I was entertained. Are they going to mishandle their attempt to make them better people? That remains to be seen but the hook doesn't inspire confidence because it didn't have an air of cleverness to it.

Now to check out our third relationship show, Satisfaction.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just read that Jenny Slate's character's older husband will be played by Paul Reiser.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I watched both premieres (since we seem to be talking about both shows here).

Married was okay. A bit scattershot, but some funny stuff.

You're the Worst was much better, IMHO. Very funny. "Did you just spit on my vagina?"

:lol:

"It's pronounced Gor -DON"

For some reason that cracks me up every time.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love those commercials--except for the little fraulein.

Too much like something out of THE TIN DRUM for me.

Makes GorDON look like a straight up dude.

12. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, you're the one.

;)

13. 1001001

I thought the second episode was even funnier than the first. And as an added bonus, we have Flo as the Book Seller!

PS: I've already given up on Married. That second episode was excruciating.

14. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I also thought the second episode was better then the first. I was trying to figure out who the Book Store manager was, thank you 1001001. I loved when she ditched him at the restaurant.

I actually just watched episode 1 & 2 or Married just a few moments ago. The problem is, all the supporting characters are better then the two main characters. Judy Greer is okay but Nat Faxon is awful and they have terrible chemistry together and I'm not talking about their marriage. If they got rid of those two and have the supporting characters as the main characters, thats something I would watch.

15. Guy Gardener

I thought Married got better.

Well, I had this fear that every episode was going to be about him trying to have an affair that went horribly wrong.

So because they didn't do that, it was better than I expected.

16. shivkala

Married is one of those shows that, on paper, seems like it should be better than it is. Judy Greer and Jenny Slate, obviously, should get some attention, but man, I love me some Brett Gelman. Nat Faxon does drag the show down.

I saw the second episode of You're the Worst and it was just okay. It seemed more a string of quick bits strung together with very little explanation. I have fallen in love with Kether Donohue, though, from her little bit.

17. Guy Gardener

I liked in the middle after the boy was made uncomfortable about how serious their relationship was getting too quickly, far two quickly, and his jokes came out wrong... WTF? That's a very brave choice, to tell inferior jokes poorly just to make a broader point about doubt, paranoia and confidence.

18. shivkala

Enjoyed the third episode. While the cliche of terrible people being slowly dragged to decency is getting tired, it seems to work for this show. Loved the end of the episode.

Married continues to be mediocre. In some ways, it hits too close to home. Speaking of terrible people, did Jenny Slate and Paul Resier just leave the girls who they are spars to be babysitting alone while they went to the bar?

19. Guy Gardener

That happened to me!

When I was 4, the person who was supposed to be baby sitting me (it was more of a sleep over with her son.) was yelled at by my mother when they crossed paths in a bar, but it was explained to my mammy: "It's cool, it's cool, I stayed until they fell asleep."

20. 1001001

Still going strong, IMHO. Them passed out naked in the driveway...what a way to start!

And my hometown got a shout-out... "a winery in La Canada"

:techman: