The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainBearclaw, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Pineapples101

Pineapples101 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Im 99% sure that pic was posted here.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Maybe the Sarek/Chapel pic was part of a clip from 'Entertainment Tonight' - not from the film itself, but from the show filming the production-in-progress. I seem to recall they did some behind-the-scenes bits on the making of TVH in early-mid '86.

3. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I found this one:
    Entertainment Tonight on "Star Trek IV, the Voyage Home" - 1986!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBHDU1cEnjI

But no sign of Sarek/Chapel scene.
    However you are absolutely right. The screengrab could come from a special or similar.

By the way, has anybody seen this:
    ET Flashback Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8GzhjnPV58

Am I wrong or this is the first and only behind the scenes footage ever released on Star Trek II?

Maab

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

As I've mentioned here before, I've seen the workprint from ST IV and that Chapel & Spock scene was definitely not in it. The major difference was a series SPFX scenes that were "scene missing" cards, or unfinished, such as the Probe being tracked by a moving rectangle, and the Klingon vessel doing its slingshot in a box shape - and a guy sitting under the model puffing smoke out of a pair of bellows. Oh, and closing credits featuring captioned photos of each cast member.

Correct, but that slingshot effect was hilarious!

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I miss this thread.

People were pulling very rare and very cool stuff from all over the place and then it just ended.

So was that it? Was all the rare and deleted stuff found?

Anyway, if you're new, there are tons of great photos, links and descriptions of deleted and alternate scenes.

6. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I miss it too.

Here is a rarely seen picture from the deleted Sulu ancestor kid from Star Trek IV.

[​IMG]

I've often seen the two below pictures, but never (until recently) this one above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also found this variation.

[​IMG]

Best,
    Maab

7. Grant

^ I assume that's "crazy stereo-type stage mother" in picture #2. LOL

Who knows he does the part and keeps getting bigger and bigger roles and by now he's a mid-thirties Academy Award winning actor.

Great find!!

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

He was a cute little kid. :)

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One Papa John's commercial, and he thinks he's Christian Bale.

10. P Tom

P Tom Commander Red Shirt

The second picture comes from the "Star Trek Omnipedia" CD-ROM, it is displayed when you view the entry for the "Genesis Device". Newer versions of the CD-ROM (later renamed "The Star Trek Encyclopedia") also has that picture included.

11. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Maybe we should have this thread pinned. I forgot about this until it surfaced. Lots of good stuff!

12. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

That's interesting! I do have the Omnipidia CD Rom somewhere, but I'm downloading it again to see if the picture can be extracted with better quality.

As I said before, a Forum's thread is not the best way to preserve something. To read everything can be long and confusing, and (as it always happens) there are many redundant or unuseful posts (including mines). The subject would deserve something like a website, with all the pictures, script excerpts, and so on. Beside I had to remove some of the pictures I originally posted to clean the mess on my FTP, so some pictures are not visible anymore.

Anyway the most intriguing picture is still a mystery:

[​IMG]

Where is the VHS with this deleted scene from STIV?

Best,
    Maab

13. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Nope. This is it. This is the original file of the Omnipedia, and it's 240x160 pixel (the original extension was PIC). Well, after all, it was 1995 and it was good for the time.

[​IMG]

I guess an high quality version is only in Paramount archives. Along with the full workprint, of course.

I gave a look to the printed version of the Encyclopedia but it doesn't have any picture for the Genesis Device. The digital version had a lot more pictures (and some videos), the MEDIA folder contains 1809 files. I found also this unusual costume test for Ilia, but that's all.

[​IMG]

Best,
    Maab

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  14. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I feel bad for letting this thing disappear. Things have just happened, I suppose.

15. KarmicCurse

KarmicCurse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps the Chapel/Sarek image is from a publicity interview. Did they actually have a scripted interaction?

16. Grant

Yes they did.

Just before Sarek's entrance into the council chamber he meets up with Chapel and asks how the hearing is going. She says, "Not well."

It was cut because they wanted the surprise of Sarek interjecting "Klingon justice is a unique point of view!!"

and stepping into the chamber.

Link to the script---scenes 10 and 16

http://movies.trekcore.com/voyagehome/voyagehome.txt

Sarek also had a couple of cut lines with the Fed Pres. after the Klingon ambassador storms out.

Those are some of the very few lines cut from ST:TVH--about 110 lines---less than 6 minutes.

Compared to 300+ lines of dialogue cut from 2,3 and 6

17. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^And if one looks carefully, he can see Chapel standing at the other end of the auditorium as Sarek enters.

--Sran

Green likes this.
  18. Grant

Yep, I had forgot that she was in an existing shot!

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I don't remember if I asked this before, but I seem to have this memory of Enterprises phasers hitting Reliant's torpedo bay before being blown apart by Enterprises own torps.

I think I might have tricked myself into remembering that, in that ILM had two arti pieces showing both that strike, the Enterprise's dorsal getting hit, and Reliant trailing blood-like plasma from the missing nacelle, where the movie shown only sparks

20. Grant

That shot was never in the movie, but was in tons of publicity material and posters, magazines, etc.