iPhone app to make calls from Mexcio back to US with wifi

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm tavelling to Mexcio next month and staying at a hotel that has wi-fi. Is there a good iPhone app that is free that you can download and while in Mexico make calls over wifi back here to the US. Ideally one that is free - and where you don't have to pay to make the calls even though the app is free?

I thought Google Voice would work but apparently it only works over wi-fi in US. And Talk-A-Tone requires a $8.95/month fee to make any regular telephone call.

Thanks!

2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

3. DarthTom

I've never really used Skype. Can you dial a land line without using the video feature?

Edited to add: signed up and yes you can. Thank you! So you think that will work with wi-fi connection in Mexico?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

You're welcome!

EDIT: yes, I think it'll do fine. My sister and I often chat via Skype and there's several oceans between us...

5. DarthTom

Thanks again. I don't know how phone companies or for that matter cell companies make any $$ charging for international phone calls any longer unless you're standing in the middle of a 3rd world country and not able to access wifi.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have an iPhone, and I have limited experience using Skype on my Android, only for IMs... but you might want to make sure that Skype is only using WiFi and not any ridiculous expensive roaming data.

Also at some point I was under the impression that Skype and/or similar services use phone minutes if you are calling another phone, and data if you are calling a Skype account. I think it's enforced by the terms of service for the APIs needed to develop software on the smartphone platforms.

If I were you I would do my research and make sure I understand what my phone is up to. Wouldn't want to rack up ridiculous charges while thinking you were connected for free!

Edit:

After looking at this it seems like you just have to make sure you are on WiFi and that it's not using 3G for data.

7. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Just turn off the switch for roaming data. I have mine off all the time.