The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

You could have a Robin who doesn't go out on the streets, who works behind the scenes as a computer hacker or the likes for Batman. Something a bit more like Oracle. But - do we really need him?

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Robin could be done as a 16 year old, who's a copycat who actually proves to be half-decent and Bruce takes him in to train him and stop him endangering himself so much.

same way you could introduce Batgirl, Batwoman or even Huntress or Nightwing.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easy there. I was just saying what I believe Nolan's reasons are for not using Robin. I wasn't presenting them as my own personal opinion.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You stated your opinion of why you think they won't use Robin, which doesn't jive with all the complaints about Robin prior to Batman Forever. You make it sound like Robin was universally loved before Chris O'Donnell changed all that, that's all.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I feel Bane from Batman and Robin shouldn't even count as an appearance, so he could also be open for a return.

BTW, I almost feel Dick Grayson could work, but Robin could not, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Never heard of Black Mask before, but he seems a great fit, to be honest. Maybe a story of him trying to destroy the reputation of Bruce Wayne. In the movie, as Batman redeems himself, Bruce Wayne's esteem falls. Plus, his gang of followers has a Quasi-organized crime feel to it.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Dick Grayson, and by extension Robin, could absolutely work in Nolan's naturalistic Batman universe. I was never really a Robin fan until I read Dark Victory and I felt like I understood what Robin meant not only to Batman but the entire mythology. I can understand why Nolan wouldn't want to include Robin, but I still feel like he's an important part of the mythology and I think there could be a way to make him work and not remind people of the Schumacher films.

For one, I always thought Dick Grayson needs to be a young adolescent if they ever adapted him in a new movie (and not as a young adult as they did for Batman Forever), around the age of Bruce Wayne when his parents were murdered but obviously a little older and more of a teenager. Robin always represented for me a validation of Batman's mission: he swore never to allow what happened to him happen to anyone ever again, and when Dick's parents are murdered, he takes it upon himself to take Dick under his wing to preserve that promise. Also, in the context of Dark Victory, it especially works because after Harvey Dent's downfall Bruce Wayne is feeling guilty that he didn't trust Dent and that moment where he confesses he was going to reveal to Dent his secret identity was a powerful moment in my opinion- it showed that Bruce, if anything, deep down wants people he can trust in his company. I know people like Batman as the whole loner, but Batman would not be Batman without the help and assistance of those all around him- including Alfred, Leslie Thompkins, Lucius Fox, and yes, Robin and the whole Batman family.

I think introducing Robin in The Dark Knight Rises would be an almost perfect opportunity especially after Nolan made The Dark Knight with The Long Halloween in mind and a third film could echo Dark Victory just wonderfully. However, I don't see that happening at all and I think Nolan will be going in a completely different direction, which is a little bit of a shame but okay. Then again, I was never really completely satisfied with Nolan's interpretation of Harvey Dent/Two-Face anyway- I didn't like that he was romantic rivals with Bruce Wayne (in the comics they are loose friends) and I didn't like how Nolan practically made Two-Face just a basic vigilante and sort of just forgot about the schizophrenic nature that drives Two-Face's personality. I still feel like The Animated Series version of Two-Face is so far besides the comics the definitive version of Two-Face.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ These are along the lines of how I would introduce therm and Christopher I apologize for getting hot headed, I wasn't meaning to direct it at you, I was attempting to direct it at the fandom. @Aragorn...I don't think Robin was universally loved prior to Forever but I do remember a lot of the backlash from Bat fans and Robin fans at the way he was presented and I think it was a mistake creatively to introduce the character as a near adult, why would Bruce see the need to adopt someone who was nearly an adult? I know it was explained in the film that Bruce didn't want him to rush off half cocked but still I didn't buy it.

Dark Victory is a great title and a fine example of how to handle the character. I even wrote out a one page proposal for an alternate Nolan trilogy a couple years ago here with how to include Robin. I believe that I introduced him at the end of "Dark Knight".

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

To avoid the superhero kid aspect. Bruce takes Dick under his wing at 10.

It takes 8 years roughly about the same time as Bruce trained for Dick to be prepared.

18 year old Dick then takes Bruce's first kevlar suit and modifies it.

For part 3 we'll just see 10 year old dick at the new mansion. The rest could be expanded in comics.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ 10 year-old dick? Is it Wayne Manor or Neverland?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There can be a lot of discomfort over depictions of child endangerment in film, TV, and video games. Batman: The Animated Series had to depict Robin as an 18-year-old in college because FOX wouldn't let him be any younger -- although in the later Batman shows on Kids' WB and Cartoon Network, they were able to get away with younger Robins because the censorship wasn't as strict there. Still, maybe the movie studio was more uneasy with the prospect. With a cartoon, it's easier to accept that it's fantasy, but in a live-action movie, there could be fears that it could inspire imitation and draw lawsuits to the studio.

11. Admiral_Young

Even the Animated series handled an older Robin better than the two movies with him. I had no problem with Chris O'Donnell, I just didn't buy that he was Dick Grayson. Kind of like how I don't buy Channing Tatum as Duke in "G.I. Joe".

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

All though she was hot...I didn't buy Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. :rofl:

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I didn't buy George Clooney as Batman

14. JacksonArcher

I bought Clooney as Bruce Wayne, though, and I think had he been given better material to work with, would have been a fantastic Bruce Wayne/Batman.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. If they made a serious movie and continued in the Burton mold I think George would have been fantastic, he was great as Bruce Wayne. I was a huge E.R. fan at the time and remember being very excited at the announcement of him being the new Batman. As for Alicia Silverstone...she was fine, but don't understand the need to change her backstory just to give Alfred a plot line.

16. JacksonArcher

Batman-News.Com has confirmed that The Dark Knight Rises will officially commence principal photography in New Orleans starting April 2011.

I'm assuming this means New Orleans will double as portions of Gotham, meaning we'll see yet another side of Gotham in the film.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Penguin would be perfect for this movie series. And I mean the real Penguin who has just a dapper, bit odd-looking, crime-boss. Given the organized crime undertones this movie series has already set-up the Penguin would be a perfect pick as a Mob Kingpin. None of that "mutated freak who lives in the sewer with actual penguins" bullshit Burton made up.

18. Admiral_Young

Yes I assumed that we'd be seeing a different part of Gotham with the additional location. Interesting.

19. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

Did anybody read my concept on Dick Grayson/Robin:confused:

Signed

Buck Rogers

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

^ I'm not a Robin fan, but that could work. I think Alfred would have to convince Bruce that he may need some help. We saw in TDK the helper vigilantes, he wasen't to keen on that. I think Batman needs to be in over his head and even Gordon and Fox can't help him because of his outlaw status. Robin could bring him out of his slump. I just hope that if they do give us Robin, they give him a nice costume. I think it should be the traditional red, green and yellow, but cool looking. The one he had in Batman Forever, the Red suit was ok, but it needs to be better. Also, lose the gayness. There needs to be a real reason why Robin is needed. How you introduce him is fine though.