The Infinite Debate...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Jul 14, 2010.

?

What do you think the Tardis is in its own Dimension?

1. A hypercube, rooms dimensionally linked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. a central sceptre surrounded by rings and orbs dimensionally linked, with a swirling vortex below

4.8%
  3. It is just bigger on the inside, the outside is the police box

42.9%
  4. A series of floating rooms held together by dimensionally linked doorways

4.8%
  5. A massive modular spaceship with corridors, engines, able to create a vortex pathway

47.6%
  1. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Nobody here disputes that the TARDIS in real life is just a bunch of physical and computer generated models and life-sized sets.

The OP here wants to discuss the tech-aspect of Doctor Who and the TARDIS as if it were real. For doing so on Star Trek, there is an entire subforum on this board. Since such does not exist for Doctor Who, such discussions need to take place in this forum.

You are absolutely welcome to not be interested in this aspect of the show, but please allow those, that are, the courtesy to do so in peace.

2. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Well said Sean..

3. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Wow! :techman: You are sooooo right!

You guys are sooo awesome! :techman:

Also to add a bit of contradiction to the Castrovalva episode..

if the Tardis were just rooms that are created by the tardis, and then deleted.. and the only thing that controls that is the console, and the tardis is not an actual space ship..

then I provide proof that the ship is an actual ship.. which can make new rooms, and delete them, but is also a solid spaceship structure..

My proof..

the roundels in the episode the Attack of the cybermen!
    Colin Baker's ultra cool doctor (who despite the awful outfit he was made to wear) had some awesome adventures in the Tardis!

at exactly 2:15 seconds into the show, we see actual circuitry within the roundels (a return to the original idea from the Hartnell days IMHO) and the Chameleon circuit itself..

what we learn in this episode, is that there are 3 service access panels which are the Chameleon Circuit Relays, and the actual Circuit itself is the little box Colin Baker takes with him from the Chameleon Circuit calibration machine, to plug into a cavity on the Tardis Console..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa7rnl_attack-of-the-cybermen-part1_shortfilms

Now why would there be specific systems which are dedicated to Tardis function if it was just a construct of rooms? There follows that the Tardis has engines, specific circuitry which governs specific vital Tardis Functions.. so if this is the case, then those specific vital core rooms and structures, and engines must be in place so that the ship can operate, and that rooms can be added and removed but the overall basic structure must remain, otherwise it could not function.. if the ship were just dimensions, and rooms added and destroyed, then how could it possibly traverse time and space, what if you jettisoned the engines, and where do they come from? the console just whips them up out of thin air? then why couldn't it just add more engines to make itself escape bad places?

No.. I believe that the Core Structure of the Tardis is an actual ship, which creates a vortex, and can add rooms, and convert the interiors via a matter restructuring system, but that overall system is linked to specific "Fixed" structures..

examples:

Chameleon Circuit Relay 1:
    [​IMG]

Chameleon Circuit Relay 2:
    [​IMG]

Chameleon Circuit Relay 3:
    [​IMG]

Chameleon Circuit itself:
    [​IMG]

(the lit up little cartridge in front of Colin Baker, seen still attached to it's calibration machine, which is then taken and plugged into a cavity on the Tardis console, and activated the Chameleon Circuit)...each relay probably also carried images of the ship's various forms to the Tardis chameleon room. Each Relay probably also controlled the plasmid form, which is the outer shell of the ship..

By the way..

These examples are references for the tech drawings that will be in my Tardis Manual, coming soon..:)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

The (interior of the) TARDIS exists in it's OWN dimension, and therefore is infinitely large as it has it's own universe. It moves in time and space by manipulating the vortex.

5. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always regarded it as finite in size, albeit very large. There are inferences over the years to this being the case during the run of the classic series. Chris Bidmead also re-iterates this notion on the Logopolis commentary.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not familar with the meme I take it?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAYk5VWkTw[/yt]

"Doctor Who" serious business.

7. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

You were just the second guy in a very short time to come into this thread and gives a really short remark, that could be reading as "talking down to the stupid geeks, that don't understand that it is just a TV show".

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No offense intended, I thought it was a well known meme and everyone would get the joke. :shrug:

Trust me, my geek flag flies high, loud and proud.

9. starsuperion

You sir...

Are a true Patriot! Long Live the Geekhood!:techman:

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All of the above.

11. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went for the massive, modular space ship option, though the options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Massive, modular, vortex traversing space ships could be tesseracts or central spires or disjoint rooms linked dimensionally.

I hadn't really considered what the TARDIS "looks like" - not sure the question means anything, given the "inside is bigger than the outside" thing.

So, does the TARDIS actually "go anywhere", or just the blue box?

12. starsuperion

the blue box is moved, which then moves the ship (it's 4th dimensional form) about the universe.. because the ship's interior is outside of our dimension of space/time, it can open a doorway at any point in space and time to itself..