Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool, what's your handle ingame?

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

found you, but @JScout33 for future reference

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Yep, I almost wish I could script my input and just let it run while I make a sandwich.

I was also disappointed on the low number of accolades available compared to previous episodes. I ran around doing some things that probably should have earned accolades but didn't.

It was good to hear Worf, but I feel that Cryptic was banking on his star power too much. They just didn't put much love or attention into the episode. I ran my engineer through and his drones took out the defenses. That never happened before... :vulcan:

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yeah, SOI is so simple and mind numbingly dumb that it almost felt like it was designed for young kids.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Or the writers of SG:U ;)

6. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Am I the only one that liked it? It was a table setting mission with a lot of dialogue, and I thought they put a lot of effort into the details.

Needed to be way harder.

7. intrinsical

The basic story was good. The problem is, what should have been a heart pounding escape from enemy territory with important intel (while saving New Romulus). Yet, there's no sense of danger while playing the mission and instead, it somehow got turned into a yawnfest.

They did a terrible job with pacing the mission by adding unnecessary and boring tasks like "checking the numbers" and scanning cargo boxes. As a result the tension in the story is totally lost.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

The bridges between worlds were really impressive, but the stuff before that was only okay.

I like my new engine!

9. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It also needed to be way creepier; yet another episode released around Halloween that still isn't as "scary" as "What Lies Beneath".

It had some of the ingredients needed; the solanogen-based lifeforms; the active spying on various worlds around the galaxy, but stuff like the lighting was too bright and flat, it would have been nice to have needed to use flashlights for the initial part.

The Solanae needed a bigger presence as well, not necessarily seen, though catching glimpses of their shadows in the distance would help, but having their influence around you be felt; such as having members of your group slowly disappearing (somehow) as you wandered around one by one in the dark, and more effective use of the clicking sound they make.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Greetings!
    I'm new to this thread.

Presumably, the Solanae are the solanogen-based lifeforms?

11. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What are everyone's thoughts on the obelisk carrier?

Being "free" I thought it was going to be poor, but I'm actually really enjoying it.

I am still new to the game so I don't fully understand everything, but this ship is way more powerful than my sovereign was, and missions that I was struggling on are just easy now (maybe too easy tbh)

12. intrinsical

Actually, the Obelisk is considered a poor ship amongst the top-end players.

But for many f2p players, it is probably their first carrier. For the first time, all they have to do is drop fighters into the hanger box and they get an instant and large boost in damage capability. There's nothing to configure, no power levels to adjust, no boff ability to trigger.

This is unlike most ships where you have to carefully configure and build your ship, equip it with lots of top end gear before you see a dramatic double or triple increase their basic damage capability. It is especially difficult to build a high damage cruiser or science vessel.

And most players don't know how to do this. Even for myself, while I've figured out a few tricks but I still cannot claim to be good at configuring ships.

13. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

To me this felt like a short version of a typical "action" episode of TNG - a bunch of scanning stuff, talking about stuff, walking around stuff, figuring stuff out, sometimes shooting stuff, and then a not-particularly-exciting space battle at the end. It was nice that they were trying to move away from the nearly pure fighting stuff of the past, but it was like they were trying to force gameplay into something that was written to be watched, and it didn't work as well as it could.

14. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I just downloaded the game today.
    Someone elsewhere on the forums recommended I wait a few days to start playing due to some kind of new upgrade.
    Is there anywhere I can go for a primer of FAQ for the game? I didn't see one on the offical site.
    Some of my basic questions you guys can probably help me with. I'm pretty ignorant about how this game worked as I've never played a massive online game before.
    Do I start at the begining of the game and work my way thru the storyline or do I get thrown into the current episode? I'd like to be able to play all the episodes if I can.
    Do I have to make just one crew, or can I have a Federation crew and a Romulan crew?
    Is there any guidelines to follow on how to build my crew? I'm pretty excited about being able to create my own captain and crew, that seems like a lot of fun.
    I'm also not sure how the store works. I have a general idea that I get basics and have to pay for extras. I got the impression somewhere that I have to pay to get a released Borg crew member, which seems pretty cool. I am a bit wary of paying for stuff like that. I'd be fine with buying an actual physical game that I can hold in my hands and play whenever I want forever, but paying for digital content that I don't feel confident I can keep "forever" seems a little wonky to me.
    Thanks for any help!

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You start at the beginning. If you wait a few days you can Do the new upgraded tutorial for the Federation or you start with a Romulan Crew if you want to sample both... Or Klingon, for that matter.
    You can pretty much build your crew like you want, their importance on the ship will mostly be defined by your ship choices, though.
    You can play the whole game with basic/free ships and gear.and if you are Patient, you can earn a hidden accolade at endgame that rewards a free Borg science officer, which you can't customize, though, just rename.

16. borgboy

Oh thanks! That does help. Sounds like waiting a couple of days will be worth it then. I'm glad to be able to start at the beginning, I want to play the whole story.
    Now I'm worried about picking the right ship lol
    That's awesome that I can get a free Borg science officer. That was the one "extra" I really wanted, my own Borg for the crew. Is there any trick to getting this hidden accolade? Since it's hidden it sounds like I might not find it.
    If you don't mind me asking more questions, what actors from Trek do the voices? I know Worf and Sela both show up at some point to do the voices, but I don't know of anyone else.
    I get the impression I can make different crews for Romulan, Klingon and Federation. I'd enjoy trying them all, but I mostly want a Federation crew. I just don't want to play as Romulan and then have trouble switching to a Federation crew later.

17. Timelord Victorious

You get a free character slot for each faction. They have each their own story up to a certain point, so you might want t play them all through at least up to the end of their respective unique missions.
    Compare their mission journals to find out which ones those are.
    Finding the accolade is not hard, it's pretty much common knowledge, but I won't spoil it at this point.
    Besides Dorn and Crosby there are Voice Overs by Leonard Nimoy, Zachary Quinto and Chase Masterson in the game.

18. borgboy

Neat. I'm glad to know there are more voice overs from the actors.
    Now I'm curious who Quinto is voicing, but I may not want to know if that's a spoiler.

19. Timelord Victorious

It's not Spock... And Quinto is more or less the only reason to play the original Federation tutorial after all. The update will change and reduce his role a bit.

20. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have a fairly good basic grasp of the game (Federation side!) at this stage, borgboy. I'm spring@robatorai. You can add me from the menu accessed from the bottom-right of the chat box. If you want, I can show you around Earth Spacedock and Starfleet Academy (and how to get some free dilithium and also three free duty officers, DOffs, every two days).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.