Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am watching inside the writer's room. So far this has been the best documentary feature on the TNG season sets.

-Chris

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched it too. What a great panel discussion. I really liked how comprehensive it was, covering the overall series and not just the third season. I was wondering if them moving on to bigger projects, especially with Ron Moore and DS9 and Battlestar Galactica would hinder their opinions of TNG but it sounded like they genuinely loved working there, despite the turmoil in the early seasons. I especially liked what they said about Jeri Taylor. I hope Burnett and Ley, Jr get her for an interview for Season 4. I would love to know what she is up to these days.

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Agreed, it looked incredible. Pretty much my favourite episode, so I love seeing it refreshed like this.

Also looking forward very much to season five's Darmok getting the same treatment.

4. cbspock

It was also interesting to hear RDM's story about the episode Family, and how Gene basically trashed it. I thought it was a great episode. Also, by season 7 the writer's room was running short on people and short on ideas. It was also fun how RDM demonstrated on the white board how they used to break an episode, and later in the special they were saying how seeing the words on the board made it seems like the old days again..lol

They all took what they had learned on Trek to projects they did later. Just look at RDM. When he finally left during Voyager he couldn't stand the direction the show was going. BSG was a direct reflection of everything he felt was wrong with Voyager, and the Roddenberry Box.

-Chris

5. tomalak301

If there was a theme to the special features this season, it was the constant fighting with Gene Roddenberry on the smallest minutiae. From the Jeremy being too evolved debate, to the whole Spock thing, to Family, it sounded like Gene just had a ton of issues. I really do wonder how TNG would have turned out had he kept it in his grasp. I hate to say it because I thank Gene for Star Trek, but it sounds like he did Star Trek a favor by stepping back.

6. cbspock

Even on the original Star Trek, Gene was clashing with the writers. Gene Coon really was able to help shape the series and made a lot of it work. Same with Piller on TNG. He was in the middle of what the writers wanted to do, and what gene wanted, and then deciding what was best for the show. Also not being allowed to mention the old show was just a stupid decision. It would have helped connect the two shows.

I just find it interesting that Star Wars is now at where Trek was in the 87, and in 09 Star Wars fans want to deny it, but that franchise now needs to get beyond the "Lucas box" to survive.

-Chris

7. cbspock

The Assimilating the TNG documentary. I am up to the Pillar Memo. Ira really had to keep the team together after it came out. Pillar really failed leadership at that moment. He should have listened to Ira.

-Chris

8. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It probably didn't help that they were spread so thin with four different projects going at once.
    TNG season 7 in production
    DS9 Season 2 in production
    Voyager in pre-production
    Generations in pre-production

9. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

The text of the treaty with the Sheliak (shown on screen at 38:14) is worth a close read :lol:

Couldn't find any screenshot or transcription of it online, so I've typed it out here. I've probably not read the numbers right, and "colme" and "destance" are misspellings which appear in the episode.

EDIT: Just noticed this screenshot on Memory Alpha too: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Treaty_of_Armens_1.jpg (text is slightly different in this)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

That's pretty funny. :lol:

11. tomalak301

Nothing like ending Mother's Day by watching The Bonding. It's interesting watching the documentaries and then watching the episodes with a new mindset. I can see some of that Perfect human reaction in Jeremy coming through, even though there was still grief. It's going to be fun watching these episodes knowing how difficult it was in the writing room. It will really give the season a new perspective, which I'm looking forward to.

Another thing I noticed about this episode was even on episode 1, Ron Moore was the Klingon guy. I mean the scene at the end with the Bonding ceremony and the music was almost classic Ron Moore, even if this was his first episode. Later on when I'm done with the season, I might go back and listen to the commentary to see if he brings this up.

I will say though that I actually liked The Bonding a lot more than before. I still think Troi is annoying though, and I do question why everyone must deal with death the same way. It seemed like Troi was trying to get Jeremy to be angry at Worf, just like the whole Wes angry at Picard, yet I'm not sure if that's fair. It almost seemed like Troi was forcing that animosity. Why can't people grieve in their own way.

12. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On the commentary for "Sins of the Father" Moore says he became the Klingon guy after Michael Piller asked him to write a memo outlining Klingon history and culture. He still has the memo and reads it out during the commentary.

13. cbspock

That was really interesting when he read his Klingon Brief. it is also interesting he based a lot on the Final Reflection novel, I remember first reading that book way back in the 80s, while it is held up as a good book, I remember I wasn't all that thrilled with it at the time..lol

-Chris

14. cbspock

Watching BoBw -disc. The documentary on the disc, I saw a lot of this if not all of it at the movie theatre event. Watching the episodes with the commentary now.

-Chris

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeez, I know Troi was hard to write for, but you'd think they could come up with something better than "The Price." The fakest, smarmiest guy you can imagine steps foot on the ship, and she falls instantly under his spell for no apparent reason. And then they just... lie around in bed sweet talking each other for the rest of the episode.

And I had a really hard time caring about this bidding war over some random alien's wormhole as well (although I admit it was cool hearing these early references to the Gamma and Delta Quadrants).

I also had to laugh at Riker reading his little personal PADD in Ten-Forward. It may have been shot back in 1989, but it looked for all the world like someone today sitting at lunch and checking out their iphone. Lol :D

16. tomalak301

If there was one thing Star Trek got right it was the technology PADD things. Now we have Ipads, 23 years later. I credit Star Trek for predicting that spot on.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's a small thing, but watching everyone walking around with a PADD of some kind on TNG really does make it feel surprisingly modern. Even if they were depicting the 24th instead of 21st century, it's still about the only scifi show I can think of that actually got that part of our "future" right, and predicted just how omnipresent such technology would be in our culture.

In fact any time I watch BTTF2 or Robocop now, I can't help but wonder "Where are all the people walking around with smartphones??"

18. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Aren't Marlene and Marty McFly Jr. wearing "Google Glasses"? ;)

I'm patiently waiting for season 3 to show up on iTunes.

19. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

The are carrying them in their self-adjusting jackets :)

20. tomalak301

I still wonder about the whole flying car thing once the clock hit's midnight in a new year.