DS9's IMDb rating - 7.8?!?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Seems unbelievably low for a series of the quality of DS9. Or are IMDb ratings just a worthless popularity contest?

2. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

In the minds of the general public, spin-offs are deserving of nothing more than scorn and disdain. Spin-offs of spin-offs even more so. And don't get them started on Star Trek.

Considering all of those handicaps, 7.8 isn't too bad.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty high rating for imdb.

4. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a series that often averaged around 2-5 poor episodes per season, 7.8 seems about right, perhaps even slightly high.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

IMDB ratings are essentially worthless and I pay no attention to them or Rotten Tomatoes scores. Star Wars fanboys will systematically downgrade anything with Star Trek in the title. And some people don't care for science fiction in any shape or form. The classic Forbidden Planet only rates 7.7, with more votes than DS9.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I've seen far more negativity from Star Trek fans than Star Wars fans concerning DS9 ala "it's not real Star Trek because it's on a space station". General point is correct. Public polls like the one at IMDB will always be slightly skewed by voters who haven't watched the show and basing their votes on perception rather than experience, but there is no way to tell whether it is at all significant. However, what does it matter as long as you personally get something out of the show?

7. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

as a previous poster said, with 26 episodes a season and 7 seasons, they can't all be winners, and that rightfully drags the average down. If we're just talking the Dominion War arc, it'd be much higher.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm actually surprised it's not lower. But does it really matter anyway? Isn't it enough to know you like the show?

9. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not surprised at all. What do surprises me however is that TNG has 8.6 (highest of all Trek shows) but I always thought that especially on the net, DS9 and TNG were equally popular.

10. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9's IMDb rating was actually 8.1 or 8.2 a few years ago. I think TNG's increased just last year with its anniversary and Blu-ray release.

With the obvious exception of films, DS9 had every sort of merchandise TNG had - novels, reference books, comics and video games and RPG games.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

7.8 is almost 8 out of 10, that's not bad at all, considering all the folks who tuned out and considering haters are going to be voting just to knock it down.

12. Nacluv

I don't know if DS9 would benefit from counting the episodes' votes instead, TOS sure didn't. It's average score became 7.5 instead of 8.3 with Season 1 at 7.8, Season 2 at 7.6 and Season 3 at 6.9.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my god! A number on the internet is going to make me change my mind about the series! Thinking for myself? Why would I do that when I can click and SEE which show is better?!

14. Nacluv

Did you know that there are people out there who refuses to see a movie if the rating is lower than 7 on IMDb?

As a movie buff, I am sincerely disgusted by that kind of attitudes!

15. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

Not in a world in which Stargate SG1 has an 8.3 rating. That show went on for like two decades and had countless episodes that were clunkers.

Truth is there are many more recent shows that , to me, are inferior than DS9 but have higher ratings. But, hey, that's the way it goes. It's all subjective anyway.

16. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

There are people out there who believe the Holocaust didn't happen too...

Put another way, there's an alarmingly large chunk of stupid people out there. I'm not surprised that people would let IMDb ratings color their movie choices...more sadly amused.

Frankly I'm kind of happy that DS9's rating is as high as it is.

17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The number is correct.
    Trek series' come complete with winners and stinkers. DS9 is like the others... Melora, Profit and Lace and Second Sight come to mind.
    Without them we wouldn't have had the rad Dominion war arc Trials and Tribble-ations, The Way of the Warrior, The Visitor, etc.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think the reason DS9 has a lower score than other scifi series is that it gets ratings from more people who don't like that kind of show.

There are more people who would give DS9 a super-high rating than Stargate SG1. Just the people who would give Stargate SG1 a lower rating just never watched the show.

The thing about ratings from sites like Rottentomatoes is that they're only useful for things you don't have a lot of information about. I do find, there's a higher probability I'll like something with a high rating than a low rating. But if I like the series, or like the director or the writer, I have no reason to check the rating.

19. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

That's exactly on the same level as Stargate Atlantis. Yeah, IMDb ratings are crap.

You know that IMDb is bullshit when you notice that Firefly is supposedly the best science fiction show ever made. With a rating of 9.2 it easily beats all incarnations of Star Trek (including TOS and TNG), the original Twilight Zone, the new Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, and Babylon 5... not to mention Twin Peaks, Six Feet Under, The Office, Mad Men,The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, The West Wing, and The Shield. Don't get me wrong, I like Firefly too, but 9.2 sounds ridiculous.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Firefly is another one of those shows that's polarizing, but most of the people who rate it are the ones who love it.

And by the way, if we're going to hold a few bad episodes against an entire series, 2-5 poor episodes per season is a pretty damn good average for a television show.