Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lonemagpie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. There is a fan/production committte meeting every other tuesday at noon at Kurtzman's house. We tried to keep it a secret from you, but as long as cat is out of the bag, you may as well come.

It's done as a luncheon in order to get people to show up -- but it's a pot-luck thing, so bring a covered plate. Ocri usually makes the taco dip (it's really good). J.J. springs for the beverages, but if you want more than pepsi or bottled water, then it's BYOB.

The production team is pretty good about listening to the input from the fans on the committee. Just last week a couple of fans successfully lobbied to convince J.J. to change the Enterprises' nacelle cap color to red-orange.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Tuesdays at twelve? Damnit, that's when the Fannish Oversight Board for Superhero Movies meets. Any chance I can send a proxy to the Star Trek Acceptability Committee?

We really need to take a firm stand on the proper representation of Gorns . . . .

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Oi, you are right my friend. I'll refrain. Rest assured, fellow Trek fans, there is no confirmation of Kirk in this movie! :rommie:

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't see any reason that they should tell us anything they don't think helps them sell tickets.

5. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Right. The difference is the internet. Anyone not born yesterday should realize that.

In my best Obi Wan:

Your father's Starlog. This is the weapon of a true fan. Not as clumsy or random as a forum; an elegant publication for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the magazines were the guardians of information and marketing in the Old Days. Before the dark times... before the Internet.

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's not about selling tickets, it's about presenting the movie how they want to present it.

I believe it was Orci who made reference to Terminator 2. The movie plays out in a way that you're not supposed to know that Arnold is the good guy, but everybody knew that anyways. He'd imagined that the movie would have been so much better if that particular point hadn't been spoiled.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  7. Greg Cox

And given that we now live in an on-line world in which there is practically a cottage industry devoted to spreading spoilers about every high-profile movie in the works ("Top-Secret Toy Designs Reveal Major Plot Twist!"), is it any wonder that the studios have gotten a little more secretive than they used to be? They can't even put out a casting call ("Wanted: female actress to play sexy alien scientist") without setting off a firestorm of speculation and complaints about a movie that might not have even starting shooting yet.

Maybe they don't want the entire internet looking over their shoulders and passing judgement at every step of production? ("This movie is going to suck, big time. They haven't finished filming it yet, but I saw some preliminary costume designs on the internet so I know STAR TREK is dead!")

Lord knows I don't post the outlines for my upcoming novels on-line and let people have at them . . . .

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But…but you owe it to the fans, man. How else can we tell you your book will suck before it gets to the stores? Christ, man. How do they even let you work in this business? ;)

9. Greg Cox

You're right. I should probably post my first drafts as well, just so that everybody can get an early look at the rough versions.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

In TOS, it was represented as a ribbon around the galaxy. Doesn't matter what direction you leave the Galaxy, you'd still have to go awfully damned fast to do it in a week or two from Federation Space.

11. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, Kelinda from the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" is in this movie!!!
    Awesome!

12. Sindatur

Yes, absolutely, the internet has made it possible for everything to be spoiled in advance, they don't want that, and many of us fans don't want that. I want to see the trailers, when they determine the proper time to see them. I don't want to know the entire plot a year in advance, and feel like I've already watched the movie before when I show up in the theatre to see it. Another thing, with Plot twists, people will complain about how predictable the plot twists were, of course they're predictable, if you have a full year in advance knowing the entire plot.

13. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

It could, scientifically speaking. I was curious about the band myself while growing up watching the episodes. I haven't seen the upgraded episodes. What is it like there? In any case, if the distance is further to the edge of the galactic equator than it is perpendicularly "up" or "down" and out, then it could appear to be a band because you are looking through a thicker haze in that direction. Also, if the barrier were not omnidirectional, and there was clear space above and below the band, why the hell would someone choose to fly their ship through that instead of going above or below? By evidence of action, it was still not truly a band.

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But some do want that. By them not offering that choice they are potentially disheartening a portion of the fan base. No one has their arm twisted to view spoilers, they are avoidable if one so chooses. Either way, the importunity for all to choose for themselves should be considered. IMO

That's fine. These are your choices to make. However, again, the way Abrams does things causes a portion of the fan base to be denied the opportunity to choose for themselves.

Agreed, absolutely some will. And surely not just 'plot twists'. Every aspect of revealed information will be fair game for the Microscope Crew to examine and express their opinions of for better or worse. It would then become the individual burden to read those opinions or not.

It's interesting, though, how often people who claim desire to remain spoiler free are so often found browsing and posting in this forum, in threads which the very titles warn of spoiler potential inside. :rolleyes:

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Less than a year from release, I'd simply like a trailer.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, the T2 trailers pretty much spoiled that right out of the gate. Trailers these days give away too much plot detail.

17. Sindatur

Actually, no, you can't avoid spoilers, entirely, unless you lock yourself up in a cave, once information becomes available.

I have no problem with minor spoilers, such as who the villian is, or who the guest stars are. What I don't want to know is big things, like So and So dies, or Vulcan will be blown up, or Starfleet is decimated by a Borg attack. If that kind of information gets out, people will be shouting it from the rooftops, without spoiler warnings.

The movie makers have decided what information they want to let out, and what would be spoiled by certain things coming out. So, no, you don't have the right to choose that for yourself, since what information is known ahead of time, is part of the Creative Process.

There are some, who's appreciation for the movie will not be affected by having the read the script in advance, but, there are alot more who seek out that kind of information, and it does change their first time viewing experience, which is indeed bad for word of mouth advertizing/marketing

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Or post pictures of the behind the scenes progress: where you're typing, where typing you are, where some typing is going on...

All sounds terribly exciting, doesn't it?

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah...they're not entitled to that. Fuck 'em.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, this argument again. :rolleyes: It didn't work when Saquist was trying to use it to rewrite the geography of STXI, it's not going to work now. But I do expect to see it again after STXII comes out.