Can USS VOYAGER separate from saucer section?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Keith1701, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A friend of mine and I were discussing the new "STAR TREK INTO THE DARKNESS" movie and we started talking about how both Kirk's ship, Enterprise NCC-1701 (it was mention in episode 209, "The Apple" from TOS {"Kirk ordered Scotty to separate with saucer section and get off there if you have too"} and Picard's Enterprise NCC-1701-E could separate during an emergency if needed.

So he asked me can Voyager do the same?:confused::confused: Please advise??....We all know that USS Voyager can land on a planet, but it was never mention about separation from the primary hull.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm inclined to think no, simply because there are no separate impulse engines on the saucer part of Voyager along with the fact we never saw it when it could have proven useful.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saucer separation was never mentioned in the show, nor in any of the writeups. There's nothing to say that it CAN'T do so, however if it could it would more likely be a case of separating but being unable to re-attach. This was supposedly the case with other starships, as the Galaxy class was meant to be the first ship capable of separation, independent flight of both sections, and docking again without external assistance.

Mark

4. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the main reason that we didn't see in the TOS episode "The Apple" was do to high cost involve, and it really wasn't required for the story anyway.:confused:

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    No. But there's a shuttleshipthingamabob under the 'saucer' section that was never used.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Saucer' is a poor term given the dimensions of the Interpid class hull. Any suggestions? 'Oblong trapezoid' doesn't roll well off the tongue.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trowel or shovel?

I could totally see a giant space baby using voyager as a spade at the sea side digging a moat around a sand castle.

You'd think that if the saucer could flip of that it would have flipped off in Timeless when she struck that ice planet.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't think I've ever seen it stated the ship could separate. I don't think the original studio miniature could, and don't remember any mention of it with the cgi versions.

9. Guy Gardener

Well the saucer separation was primarily advertised so that the civilians could run away when the Enterprise had to go into battle.

As the years went on, Picard began to think, fuck it, if the civilians and children didn't want to be on my ship, they wouldn't be on my ship.

Was the Enterprise more or less powerful without the Saucer?

Less surface area meant the shields would be much stronger if the powersupply remained constant.

Less mass meant it was faster.

Smaller target.

The saucer section just seems like a burden in times of war.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

TNG probably dropped the saucer separation for 1) cost of editing in the same damn clip every time, and 2) not wasting 30 seconds showing the separate/dock sequences.

11. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Voyager can not separate because all the bio-neural gel would leak out.

12. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

13. Guy Gardener

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rick Sternbach put RCS thrusters on the bridge superstructure to imply that the whole thing could be detached like some giant lifepod, but that's about it.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager separates in The Eternal Tide - but that's after a substantial refit in Full Circle, equipping the ship with a slipstream dive and all the latest novelverse gizmos.

As for series-Voyager, there IS a battle bridge on the MSD diagram, but the writers never paid any heed to it (it has two warp cores, two computer cores and two navigational deflectors, but episodes of the show make it explicitly clear there is only one of each)

See huge, detailed MSD diagram here.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

saucer separation is dumb. its silly and leaves you with two awkward bits of ship that look rubbish on their own.

i can see where it might work as an emergency thing on a constitution class, but on newer ships where the primary and secondary hulls are basically one big continuous structure it would look especially aesthetically unappealing

17. Guy Gardener

Janeway might not have asked and B'Elanna must have assumed she knew.

If there was a "usuable" aeroshuttle, they wouldn't have had to invent the Deta Flier.

It could be a really large escape pod who's gears and engines the primary ship needs to operate, in so that it's not to be used until it's time for all hands to abandon the ship anyway.

18. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Voyager_aeroshuttle

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think not seeing as it can eject the warp core and is small enough to probably evacuate the ship using the escape pods.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the 2nd computer core, could be a back-up core with enough funcationality to get the ship to the nearest starbase.