Seven of Nine’s Character & Her Development - Was She Meant to Die?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Who created the Seven of Nine character??? I was watching the recent Trekcore interview with Brannon Braga and the following was said at 4:54…
    At first, he said that for him Seven was designed to be a character that was going to die tragically. Then he said that he planned that. He then mentioned how the episode “Human Error” had plot developments that would tie into his plan on an emotional level. Do you think that this was something that was really planned from the beginning by "the powers that be" (meaning more people that just Braga) or that Braga just came up with it at some point? He did say that for him it was planned this way. When I listened to this portion of the interview, it reminded me of the tv show Lost. A Producer, I forget which one, said that they always planned for Juliet’s story to end tragically and that was the reason they gave her the name Juliet (reminding us of the tragic Juliet from Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet).

I’m of course glad that 7 didn’t die. Perhaps "the powers that be" overrode Braga’s desire to kill her in case they wanted to use her in some sort of Trek film (assuming they didn’t want to pull another Spock moment and have her brought back to life in a film). Or, perhaps they just wanted the finale to be more Janeway centric vs. 7 centric. Anywho, while I’m glad 7 didn’t die, I think that that death would have made more sense than Trip’s death on Enterprise. :scream:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Seven of Nine’s Character & Her Development - Was She Meant to Die

Braga didn't desire to kill her, in his mind, given this evidence, she was already dead.

Dead Borg Walking.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's rather obvious that everything about Endgame wasn't thought through. I'd say that includes Seven's death or lack thereof. Honestly I don't think Voyager's writers were bold enough to kill a main character for dramatic effect deliberately.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Braga had the initial concept of a Borg crewmember, fleshed it out a bit with Joe Menosky, and Rick Berman suggested making the character female. So Brannon Braga should get the credit (or the blame) for the original idea.

5. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have been a better ending not to mention braver but voyager never had any guts to it so I don't see how it could ever have happened - I'm only surprised that when they got back home, all the crew that had died along the way weren't somehow magically brought back to life

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They really should have killed Kes in "The Gift" instead of sending her away than bring her back in "Fury". What a terrible ending for a character! :ack:

7. R. Star

Yeah, that was a nice little sendoff. Then just ruined it when she came back in Fury and went nuts for no real reason. The same thing really happened with Q. Awesome sendoff in All Good Things... Q and the Grey and Q2 just ruined that.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

These days I like to pretend the Q that showed up on VOY was an impostor of the one we all knew from TNG.;)

9. Melakon

In "Fury", Kes' ferocity is like Gilda Radner's Emily Litella character on original SNL. After spending the whole show in hysterical mode, once it's slowly explained she misunderstood everything she's mad about, it's "Oh. Well that's quite different. Never mind."

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And when Trek DID kill off a main character everyone went apeshit about it.

11. Melakon

Not that much for Tasha Yar. But for the other person in the other show, yeah. But part of that apeshitness I think is how they did it.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What always annoyed me was that it was it was always women that left, and always for behind the scenes reasons. It was NEVER about what was better for the series.

13. teacake

Yes. I forgot all about Tasha, it was that other person.

14. R. Star

To be fair, sometimes those behind the scenes reasons dictate things. Farrell leaving? Can't be avoided short of recasting Dax, which would create it's own uproar. Though I guess they did pretty much that in their own Trill way.

I don't mind the fact they killed off Jadzia, though doing it to establish how evil Dukat is, was a bit redundant by that point. I always found it odd that the fire thingy was right where the symbionant was but somehow it was it that survived and not Jadzia. DS9 at least made is a plot relevant death with lasting consequences.

Yar's departure... again she wanted to leave. Not much to be done about that if she doesn't want to stay. Sure it was unfulfilling how she died, but that was season 1 tng at it's status quo. I always found it silly on her part she got out as quick as she could, then spent the next six plus years trying to get back into the franchise.

Kes is a bit more controversial and this is one that irritated me some. She was literally the one character on Voyager with the most interesting potential but the writers just couldn't figure out what to do with her. Still think they'd been better off getting rid of Kim, but some fangirl at TV guide decided he was hot so he made that list.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

A small part of Seven died in Drone (good emotional reasons). And Human Error (no more need be said).

16. Melakon

The placement of the VFX fire was probably due to the effects crew listening to Terry Farrell. She was wearing a flying harness under the costume, and was concerned about how big the harness made her hips look (where the attach points were for the cables). So they hid it with the fire, and she was pleased with the result.

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

I don't think they needed a grand moment.

Part of me died when they hooked up Seven with Chuckles. :barf:

18. teacake

Not wanting to look fat when you die, very important.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The digestive process requires that you always have 20 pounds of shit inside you.

When you die, the floodagtes open.

Fat is the last thing to worry about.

You lose twenty pounds upon death, so matter what you've done to preserve yourself your "firmness" you will still look like a partially deflated balloon from the indiscreet and immediate absence of 20 pounds post mortem.

It's more important to make sure you have a pact with everyone you know to make sure that you're rolled onto your front so that there's no undue spillage once you become an open vessel of poop.

Or better yet plan your death and die on the toilet like Elvis.

They should sell "I'm going to die soon" super diapers to the elderly who need it.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If they could have killed her off in a way that made sense in the story it could have been awesome. But you know if they did kill her they would have Daxed her, had it be in a random, arbitrary way.