What is your favorite Star Trek uniform?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RyuRoots, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Which Starfleet uniform do you enjoy the most?

1. TOS TV Show Uniform

33 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. TOS: TMP Uniform

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. TOS Movies 2-6 Uniform

74 vote(s)
    24.9%
  4. Early TNG Uniform

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. TNG Season 3-7 Uniform

23 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Early DS9/Generations Uniform

16 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform

107 vote(s)
    36.0%
  8. ST: Enterprise Uniform

27 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

I like TOS Movies(2-6)!

James

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the DS9/VOY unis were used at the same time as the TNG unis, so the TNGs could the considered the Service Dress, as it were, with the TNG/VOY dress uniforms as Full Dress and the Ins/Nem ones as Mess Dress. Matches their appearance and stuff.

3. 32JaX

32JaX Lieutenant Red Shirt

First Contact!

4. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

TNG seasons 3-7

5. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ENT's uniforms because they had pockets to stash stuff in(like your communicator and padd), serviceable layers, and two away-mission jackets (light and heavy). I also like the NX-01 ballcaps. I did like the "dress uniform" from TATV, but maybe that's just because Bakula looked especially hawt in it. They just seemed so practical for everyday use, and not at all gaudy.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    The ENT uniforms, while very practical, suffered from the same 'too dress-down' feeling that the 'jumpsuits' from DS9 onward did, IMO. I'd, again as I do with the DS9 jumpsuits, prefer that the ENT jumpsuits were a class C uniform and there was a class B jacket/pants combo uniform that is rarely seen. And Archer's dress uniform from 'TATV' wasn't bad.

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

They were probably just working off of modern US Military trends of streamlining uniforms. In the Army for example, they are working on cutting down the number of uniforms to two. Same with the Air Force, and the Navy is trying to slim down its un-necessarily massive amount of uniforms as well.

8. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I voted with the Movies 2-6 crowd. Though I agree with many that they are somewhat too formal for functional duty wear, they were the best dress up. The older I get the more I like the TOS uniforms as well, though there is something about them that still doesn't sit perfect with me. Maybe I have seen too many people that just don't look good in them over the years. The cut does not produce a universally pleasing form. But then again what does? I used to love the TNG onward designs, but most TNG aesthetics, including the uniforms, have drifted out of my favor over the past few years.

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I do applaud that simplification, actually, and I feel it is the future of the military and therefore any real Starfleet that gets founded.

It's just - I don't know. I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I feel like the military needs to maintain some extent of traditions and formality in order to remain successful going forward. Should there be umpteen different types? Certainly not. Even in TMP, looking at it, there were really only about four uniforms, in several different colors and sleeve styles. Would the colors and sleeve styles really constitute a variant? Not to me.

I'd be happy with three different classes - a full-on spit and polish dress uniform reserved for super-special functions, a 'dress-up' jacket and pants combo with a short-sleeve shirt option beneath, and a 'dress-down' jumpsuit with lots of pockets.

10. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Kelvin uniforms!

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the TOS 2-6 and FC uniforms, but my major problem: don't they get too stuffy with all those layers and thick fabrics?

Now that I think about, many of the complaints about Trek around the time of Nemesis was that the franchise was getting darker. I think it's somewhat logical to attribute that mindset to the uniforms, just as how some people thought TNG was bland simply because the bridge was beige (and hey, degrees of truthiness vary, but color theory is very real).

Prior to that, the TNG 3-7 uniforms were almost too bright. Yeah, I look back with rose-tinted glasses as I grew up with those uniforms, and the sharp shoulders and collars were simple but vast improvements over the TNG 1-2 uniforms. But there's one episode (Journey's End) where Picard, Troi, and Worf face down the Cardassians. Picking those three crewmen showed the nice variety between division colors, but the big bad and armored Cardassians in the bright and dusty desert made the Starfleet uniforms look almost childish and outdated, an opinion I had when the episode first premiered.

I do like that Generations had a mix of TNG 3-7 and DS9/VOY uniforms. It showed a lot more variety and freedom for officers to choose. But that's only a temporary solution.

With that said, I prefer the ENT uniforms, though that could just be my 21st century biases coming in. I'm starting to like the ST: Online uniforms.

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're going that way, I'll say those blonde chicks from Justice!:drool:

13. Loqutus

Loqutus Lieutenant Red Shirt

The original "The Cage" pilot uniforms. Although I DO have a thing for the mini skirts the women wore. I feel that the women would have really worn slacks like the men. More professional and serious

14. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

At one point the TMP uniforms were going to be two-toned. I have seen some Robert Fletcher drawings that had a white chest panel (like the one on Admiral Kirk's uniform) on the gray uniform background as well as a couple of sketches of a white and tan version. All of these drawings had a round gray or tan collar, closer fitting sleeve cuffs and longer pointed shoulder tabs. I have also seen photos of a prototype of one of the tan uniforms when it was offered on ebay last year.

15. borgfan8of5

borgfan8of5 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Personally prefer the First contact-Nemesis unifroms, but the 2-6 uniforms are a close second for me.

16. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

Enterprise uniforms looked believable & functional.

17. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

No love for the early TNG uniforms, I see.

I voted for ST II-VI. I'm not entirely sure why. I guess I just find them the most aesthetically pleasing.

18. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

The latter movie uniforms were just terrific. The red jacket and black the rest of the way down reminded me of a pirate, and I thought the crew never looked better buckling that swash!

19. new_mercury

new_mercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First contact uniforms. brilliant esp the captain vest thing as worn by Sisko and Picard. also dress uniform is better than anyother version. the white is different but still good better than the over long wrap around of TNG dress uniforms

20. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'know, this forum has shown me that it has a wide variety of people with a wide variety of interests and opinions on what is "good". Some things I agree with, a lot of things I disagree with, some really intelligent posts, and...some less so. There's a lot of differences and a lot of opinions, but it makes me smile that not a one person out of currently 139 votes likes the TNG S1-2 uniforms the best. Cheers to good taste. :bolian: