Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 12, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Noooooo! I loved Eddie! Even though I knew it was coming (see my post for last week's episode), it was still heartbreaking. :(

Incidentally, can anyone read German and translate his letter?

On a happier note, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Gillian self-destruct. Her age old solution of blow jobs to fix everything backfired on her twice and little Tommy almost outright rejects her. Serves her right for trying to make him forget Angela.

I thought Frank Capone's murder was excessively bloody, like it was straight out of a Tarantino flick, until I looked up his history. Turns out he actually died that way (sans the fictional Van Alden bit). Looks like Al is about to go extra crazy. Can't wait to see that. :D

No Chalky or Richard this week, sadly, and yet still no Margaret.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Eddie was a class act. He couldn't live with his betrayal to Nucky, but I really think that if he'd fessed up to what had happened Nucky would have been sore initially, but would have figured a way out of it. I certainly don't think Nucky would have offed Eddie because he recognizes Eddie's loyalty and devotion through thick and thin.

On another level I also see Nucky and Chalky being tight. I wonder if Narcisse understands that by going after Chalky he's also going to have to deal with Nucky.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:( Eddie

Great episode and things are heating up both in Atlanta and Chicago.

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Capone is reminding me of scrappy Doo.
    Poor Eddie :(

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It was in written in Sütterlin, an old script that's fallen out of use a long time ago. Even in the German silent movies of the day they didn't use it anymore when they showed something hand-written the audience was supposed to read.
    Eddie also wrote it like someone who's just learned it which made me chuckle. But I admire the effort they put to it. Now if only they could have done a better job with the spoken German, too.

If someone can point me at some HD pictures of the letter I could translate it (if it isn't just gibberish).

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol:

And Eddie :wah:

Narcisse is playing a long, interesting game. And I keep wondering when Nitti will make an appearance.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A sad end for Eddie, he had only just stared being developed as a character and all. :( I wonder if this is how Margaret will come back into things, maybe she shows up for Eddie's funeral?

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In fiction we can often assume that bad things, particularly terminally bad, won't happen to good people, but it is compelling when fiction mimcks real life where bad things often do happen to good people.

9. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I know, poor Eddie. I liked him.

As for Margaret, if/when she does return, it will be a cool reception.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I wouldn't exactly call Eddie a good person. Apart from the things we learned about his past in this episode, he apparently had no qualms about being part of Nucky's criminal empire.

I'm unclear on what deal was cut in regard's to Eli's son. They arrested Clayton but what will keep him from telling the truth and thereby implying Eli's son in the accidental poisoning of that other kid? :confused:
    But maybe we'll hear more about that in the upcoming episodes.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

If only because he was a neutral player. He wasn't privy to many of the things that Nucky did, was never tasked with anything directly in terms of business, nor was he asked for his opinion. It was only his last order that got him involved directly in the business, and that proved to be more of a burden on him than the little worries he had, like which suit and socks Nucky should wear.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Eddie was aware of things but most of his time was as a valet, rather than an active participant so far as we know anyway. His jumping, whether he dies from the fall or not, is an act of someone not up to handling even the small time criminal life of a bag man.

As far as Willie and Clayton go, Willie might have gotten an immunity deal for his testimony. Clayton can say whatever he likes, but it is likely too late for the poor loser.

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the shit with Van Alden and Capone is amazing. I'd always hoped those two would really get together. Is Van Alden going to end up his right hand man? Or maybe his is already. I miss crazy-confident Van Alden as opposed to meek, conservative Van Alden. I love where this is going.

I'm amazed we are what, 4 or 5 episodes in now, still seeing the credit for Kelly MacDonald and still nothing of Margaret. I know, 'she's a regular' but she's also a ghost!
    Is the Lucy character dead? Can't recall.

As for Eddie, I guess its important story-wise that Nucky be:
    a) more alone
    b) aware that someone is coming to get hiiiim!

14. The Nth Doctor

Agreed on all counts. It's crazy to think that we've known Van Alden far more as a meek, disgraced agent in hiding than as a confident federal. I've been hoping for a Van Alden/Capone team-up since last season. I'll be very interested to see if Nucky sees him in this new position if/when Nucky visits Chicago or Capone visits Atlantic City again.

This continues to blow my mind for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, Kelly Macdonald was one of the major reasons why I started watching this show (along with Michael Kenneth Williams, Steve Buschemi, and the premise) and yet I don't actually miss her at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I still love the character, but there's so much going on right now that I'm thoroughly enjoying that I'm not feeling her absence too much. I like the speculation earlier this thread that she might return for Eddie's funeral.

Secondly, I can't help but wonder the reasons for this. Is it because of some crazy creative decision (i.e. hold the character back to allow other characters and plot lines to develop and then bring her back after a tragedy) or was there some scheduling issue with Kelly Macdonald (she did give birth last December), some combination of the two, or something completely different?

No, she simply abandoned her child with Van Alden and fled to parts unknown.

Again. Poor bastard. :lol:

15. Owain Taggart

Finally, Margaret! Although from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like she'll be much of a presence anymore. Is it just me or does she look a little different? Makeup perhaps?

16. The Nth Doctor

Only one scene from Margaret but it was a killer. Between the "I wouldn’t put something alive in a box" and "No one knew how to look after you like Mr. Kessler," that scene was filled with chills on both sides. Unfortunately, I don't see Margaret having a larger presence if all of this waiting for her to return and this is all we got in one episode. Again, I can't help but wonder the reasoning behind it.

Another quiet episode with the shadow of Eddie hanging over Nucky, Eli and Agent Knox and pieces quietly being moved around for everyone (except Capone and Van Alden who are absent).

Richard finally returns and I find myself reflecting upon words I said in my season 3 finale review: How will Julia see Richard now and how will it affect their relationship? She clearly knows what he is, and while her father, surprisingly, accepts him for what he is, she doesn't seem so quick to acceptance, even though she wants to.

The sexual tension between Chalky and Daughter Maitland finally erupts and yet I can't help but wonder if this is part of some larger game from Dr. Narcisse. Speaking of which, he's missing again, as is Ron Livingston, who, unfortunately, hasn't done much anything so far this season. Hopefully that changes soon.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Eddie jumped because he was between a rock and a hard place. His loyalty to Nucky was such that he couldn't take his failure in being captured and giving up info, and the stuff about his family in Germany confirmed to him that he had failed there, too. There was nowhere to go. He'd rather die than be an informant or be deported. He could handle being a bag man. He couldn't handle being a snitch and a disowned father at the same time.

18. Owain Taggart

Yeah, perhaps you're right. Considering she was such an important character throughout, only having one episode would seem to be rather odd, not to mention introducing this tension, it eventually has to break, so maybe there is more to it.

I liked the comment about Eli being mistaken for Eddie, and it made me wonder if maybe there was more to it, or maybe I'm just thinking too much on it, but it felt like some likely foreshadowing.

I find that singer remarkably like Josephine Baker. Maybe they modeled the character after her.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I often get the feeling from the show that even some of the non-fictional characters are modelled on real life persons. I liked the Ma Rainey reference too :)

I'm not sure if someone mentioned earlier here, or elsewhere, but regarding Kelly I got a distinct 'possibly pregnant' vibe. Such a short scene, the coat and most of their scene being shot sitting down. But could be wrong...

20. The Nth Doctor

She gave birth last year so that might have affected her filming schedule.