Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Your avatar's Enterprise D warp effect looks better than the one in TNG...it's at the correct angle!

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, but if the original film stock was damaged or missing, CGI would be needed to fill in the blanks, which I believe was the case with this shot. However, I don't know if they found or repaired the original footage in time for the season release.

3. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

I find the corrected perspective to be more akward than the original one. Plus, why would ships need to be perfectly alligned? They are communicating via viewscreens that can correct these things.

And looking again at that comparison, I finally figured out what was bodering me about the new CGI BoP: it's completely green! Yet, the bottom of the wings are supposed to be red.

4. Talos

Talos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't mind the shot for the most part, the new elements look great. The part that I don't like about it is how the stars are rotating, yet the ship's don't change orientation even a single degree. Wasn't the new shot a digital matte painting?

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Release date in Germany: 5. September. wtf!? o_O

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The original shot does that too.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they trying to coincide with the release of Star Trek Into Darkness which is at or around the same time? If that's the release date in Germany than the American release date is not too far off. That seems rather quick since Season four is being released at the end of July. I would love it if this september release date were true, but I thought Season 5 would have a holiday release.

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, September 5 is the German release date for Season Four, not Five.

Five will be out at the back-end of the year

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the perspective doesn't look right to me at all. The BoP looks like it's pointed more at the right edge of the saucer than the center of the ship.

Although I do think the CG BoP itself looks really good.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder when the preorder information will be on Amazon. With Season 4 coming out, it's never to early to start thinking about Season 5 and what will be on it. God I hope they are able to get Ashley Judd for an interview. That would be awesome.

11. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never bought TNG on DVD, and I'm glad I didn't. I will be buying every season on bluray, no questions asked.

It's just a matter of being able to find this apparently "fringe interest" title in stores. (Not that I consider it fringe, but it seems the retailers who don't get adequate stock do.)

Is there going to be a standalone release like there was with 3 (BoBW) and 4 (Redemption)?

12. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those explosions were pretty lousy and cheap looking. And it's quite obvious that the model is being affected by gravity. Just screams for replacement/improvement.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, but that would not be in the spirit of what this remastering project is all about.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The only update to TNG-R I'd find extremely cool to the show was if they reshot all the future scenes from All Good Things. That would be funny, and boldly going where no TV show has gone before. ;)

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I would think they'd go with "Unification."

16. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At least they could save a lot of money for make up to make them look old. :devil:

17. Hober Mallow

Q would also appear old in the future scenes, to mock Picard's advanced age, of course.

18. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Hope Unification gets the full treatment plenty docs and maybe a interview of mr nimoy !!!

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Might be "fringe" but Best Buy and Target have displayed it prominently where I am. Walmart carries it late then buries it..

I'd like a new ship used for the Vulcan ships in Unification. I always hated that crappy "invasion" fleet.

RAMA

20. Hober Mallow

I remember when "Unification" first aired in 1991, it was like a major Trek event. I saw it again for the first time in many years about three years ago on TV, and the one thought I had at the end of part two was... that was really a crappy episode. Evil Sela. The completely ridiculous Romulan "invasion plan." The padded first half with a musical number.

There were some good scenes. The scene with Picard and Sarek. The announcement of Sarek's death actually caught me off-guard. The scene with Spock and Data talking to each other. But other than that, it was pretty damn boring. Hardly the major earth-shattering event I'd thought it was back in the day.