Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MacLeod, May 20, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I think that Microsoft is becoming more anti-consumer, more then they are already, which will, eventually, bite them in the rear.

I have a XBOX Live account, which I haven't updated in a while. My e-mail address has changed. I don't remember the password nor the security question. So, I attempted to recover my account, which ended in failure as I didn't provide them enough information.

They want me to provide information on my e-mails - the subject of each - and the people I sent my e-mails to. I have never used the service to send e-mails. And, I feel this is an intrusion into my privacy.

There is no contact phone number to speak to a representative. They suggest talking to other people who have similar issues on their forums. How could these people help me when they don't know me?

I think the corporation believes that the consumers serve them, and not the other way around. When the time comes for my account to be automatically deducted from our bank account, I am placing an automatic block on the payment.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean like what publishers are trying to do by replacing mass-market paperbacks with ebooks? :techman:

3. throwback

I was reading up on DRM. There is concern by some that we creating a condition where the media products of our time may not be preserved for future generations, because of technological advancements and/or the loss of technology.

My chief concern with the new XBOX and PS4 is with cost. I don't believe the corporation spin on what will happen after the demise of the used game market.

As for ebooks, there is a difference. I can choose to be like my mother, and get the books downloaded, or I can choose be like me, where I buy the physical copy. Microsoft is not giving the consumer those options - there is one option - buy the digital product. Excuse me, buy the license to the game.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So stick with your 360 or buy a Vectrex or something. Plenty of other options for video games out there besides the XBone or a PC.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

6. throwback

I have looked at other systems, and they don't seem to have as diverse a game library as the XBOX. I could be wrong. I am figuring that the next generation will have a similar trend. I know that Microsoft is having 15 exclusive games - I don't know how many PS4 will have.

7. Bob The Skutter

PS3 and Xbox 360 have a similar number of games on them. As for exclusives you can fairly bet that for the most part exclusives will be first party and second party titles only. Any 3rd party will be timed exclusive only.

That's with Xbox having a year longer on release and having 5 months more info collected for the list.

8. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have a PS3 and a 360, and I think the PS3 has the better collection of exclusive games, at least when it comes to retail games. I think 360 has a lot of exclusives through the Xbox Live Arcade, though the PSN is no slouch.

If the PS4 has some sort of online requirement I won't buy it. Which would suck because it means I won't be able to play any more of Sony's 1st party exclusive's :(

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Early this gen, I feel the 360 had the better exclusives, but around 09/10 they switched to focus development on Kinect games and from then on Sony had the better exclusives.

10. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This pretty much sums it up. Around 09/10 (if not a little bit sooner), Microsoft jettisoned most of its first party development for some inexplicable reason. Most third party games appear on both consoles and are usually very similar which leaves first party games as what distinguishes one console from another. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't recognize that.

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

499€!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Good show but dangerous pricing model, PS3 esq slow start could happen after initial units sell out on day 1 (week 1) in November.

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

US $499.
    EU €499.
    UK £430.

Who would have thought, EU/Uk get the big rip off. lol

14. Bob The Skutter

I saw nothing to convince me my misgivings can be overlooked, so combination of nothing "must have" and price tell me I won't be buying it any time soon.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best part of the conference was when the sound cut out... twice. :lol:

But unless Sony does something crazy, Microsoft pretty much lost me. Every decent game is multiplat.

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering why they don't just name the Kinect 2, HAL 9000, because it certainly sounds exactly like it. It can watch you, it can prevent you from doing things and it can monitor you and your lifesigns. At this point, I'd fully expect them to call an ambulance if they see someone who shows signs of a medical emergency.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you watch the movie.
    Dave: Why the hell not?
    HAL: (After moments of silence) I am sensing that you are upset, Dave. Is something bothering you?
    Dave: Let me watch my movie. I bought it.
    Moments of silence...
    Dave: HAL, we've been through a lot together. I bought you and took you home. Don't make me disconnect you! Just let me watch the movie!

17. Bob The Skutter

Or when the guy from DICE nearly left because the game didn't start.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

He was not a happy chappy was he. lol

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

*Sony watching the announcement*

"FUCK YEAH! WE WIN! NUMBER 1 AGAIN HERE WE COME!"

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll see. They lost one of their major selling points from the last generation (free online multiplayer), and they seem to think that a six-year-old game (Versus XIII) was going to be a system-seller. (Hint: they're wrong.)

So far, in terms of exclusive games they're at Xbone 1, PS4 0. Unless they announce Uncharted 4 in the next few minutes (is the livestream still going?), I'm probably going to end up in Microsoftland again.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013