Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think "Pollyanna" OR "Barbarella" are complete negatives. Some people very much like those archetypes.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the parent trap almost as much as Barbarella.

They did a remake a couple years back, and the little girl playing the twins, you can tell that she's going to grow up to be something really special.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As in "Special Victims Unit?"

:)

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all counts.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star trek is more than just a TV show in modern times. It's a global merchandising business. What they didn't get in ratings, they made up for in selling her image. Paramount made a fortune off of toys, t-shirts, video games, magazines due to her image. Being a house hold name in pop culture equals $$$$. I wouldn't doubt what they lost in ratings based TV, they made up for in merchandising. How much Voyager merchandise with her image on it did a tourist trap Star Trek Experience alone sell?

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I don't know, but I have my doubts that Seven of Nine merchandise really sold at such a high clip over that of other characters and that she was a success in that way to the studio. My guess would be that she ultimately turned out to be kind of a disappointment for them in terns of the impact she had. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    It didn't.

And even if it had, it was wrong to dump Kes and fire Lien. Maybe the money from the merchandise (if it was som much that some people believe) could have been used to keep ten main characters in the show.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Speculation.

Your (subjective) opinion.

And this basically Godwin's the thread with your basic, fundamental lack of understanding about how television series budgeting operates.

9. teacake

Where is all this wondrous 7 merchandise and why do I not own it.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Very wrong. Seven of Nine was many variations of action figure. Half-Borgified (as in "The Gift"), Silver-suited, Plum-suited and Blue-suited, all in the 4.5" size, cloth-dressed figures in both 9" (Brown-suited and Silver-suited) and 12" (Silver), plus a Hallmark ornament and even coldcast statues and a life-size mannequin.

Kes only got a short-packed 4.5" figure.

Even Janeway only got one regular 4.5", one "Flashback" exclusive (designed by me for NewForce Comics), one 9" figure and a Hallmark ornament.

Seven:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%22seven+of+nine%22+figure&_sacat=0&_odkw=kes+figure&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Kes:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kes+figure&_sacat=0&_odkw=kes+voyager&_osacat=0&_from=R40

So Playmates and Hallmark should subsidize an actor's salary and not sell any toys or ornaments?

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Which is all well and good in action figure land, but let's be realistic - merchandising is not limited to action figures and toys alone.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I can keep going.

There were also Seven of Nine Halloween costumes, makeup sets, and mugs, posters, trading cards, and numerous featured roles in comics and novels. And a giant cardboard standee.

By contrast, Kes made it on the cover of two(?) original Pocket novels, and one was as a glowing figure after she'd left the series.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. teacake

Yeah like toasters, I would kill for a 7 of 9 toaster.

14. teacake

I wouldn't challenge Therin on the merchandise knowledge front, LOL

15. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do THAT many people buy merchandise though? And was there really that many people who suddenly decided to start buying merchandise because of Seven of Nine who weren't buying the merchandise before? I'm not trying to say Seven wasn't beneficial to Voyager in terms of publicity and some merchandise (if not ratings) but I find it hard to believe the merchandise would be THAT lucrative.

16. teacake

It's certainly not SW.

17. Guy Gardener

When i say Seven of Nine Toast rack, does your brain go tot he same place mine does? i assume that a toaster couldn't use the same basic design, but what about hand cranked grapefruit juicers?

10 people buy a hundred dollar seven of nine toaster or a hundred people buy a 10 dollar seven of nine t-shirt.

Marketing all depends on who you target.

18. teacake

My 7 of 9 toaster contains no "rack" jests, rather it looks like Borg technology and has voice activations.

Push bread down in toaster, toaster says: "Your biological distinctiveness has been added to our own."

Adjust toasting level dial, toaster says: "You will adapt."

Toast begins to burn while still in toaster, toaster says: "Don't panic. It's counter productive."

Toast pops up, toaster announces: "Remove your toast or I will remove your arm!"

Would I pay 100.00 for this? I'll take two please.

19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

On the contrary, I know a lot about showbiz since I've worked in the business myself, although most in the musical spectrum of it

20. Guy Gardener

Teaching a Toaster how to Talk.

Ask Dave Lister if that's such a great idea?