Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How much are fleet marks worth in Dil? I admit, though I've been playing since beta, I don't really get around much.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no direct conversion between dilithium and fleet marks. about the only thing you can do with fleetmarks is help progress the fleet projects.
    However you get fleet credits in return which let you buy fleet gear and items.
    The best fleet gear requires fleet credits and dilithium.
    So you want both actually.

if you go by the return rate of fleet marks to fleet credits and dilithium to fleet credits you get a ratio of 50:1.

3. JeBuS

I'm trying to make that jive with what Vendikarr said above, and it's just not working.

4. Timelord Victorious

He was talking about different marks.
    There are marks for all sorts of reputations: Voth, Romulan, Omega (Borg), Nukara... Those have nothing to do with fleet marks. beyond being build around a similar progression.

One is for fleet system, the other for personal reputation system.

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    And there are reputation projects that will convert their respective marks to dilithium.

6. JeBuS

Well that makes more sense.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Wow the servers are lagging so much its almost like an expansion launch day. I guess the bonus marks event is having the effect of drawing in players.

8. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Ok thanks guys, I'll give it a try this weekend.

9. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont know about the rest of you here, but I doubt I will be buying the these new Dyson ships from the C-store any time soon. I find the price too high and the ships do not have enough differences to merit it, IMHO.
    Plus I still hate the hull materials they come with, they just look butt ugly.
    If there would have been a faction based materials included, I might have bought the Fed version..just maybe.

I finished my Anniversary grind last weekend and I now have the free ship for one Fed and KDF toon.
    I have not flown with them yet though, I am quite happy of my Vesta really.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

i finished the grind on 3 characters, but don't plan to ever use them. just swapped out some older ships sitting around collecting dust.

And bought a c-store ship once, before the stipends, paid real money. Pretty disappointed with the whole experience, it's now worthless, and I don't intend to repeat the process again, even that they now give me zen for nothing. Bought a fleet module, and my fleet Chimera is working just fine for me. My Galaxy-X hasn't left spacedock in a couple years now. It was never as good as it should have been, and they've long since abandoned it...

11. Timelord Victorious

I haven't bought any of the multi ship packs. And the latest one is the biggest joke ever.

Seriously: 10.000 Zen! Who in their right mind pays that amount of real money (around 100 bucks) for 9 ships out of which he probably only uses 3 at the most (one of each faction).
    So are the special set powers worth that much? No!

I have accumulated up to 2000 stipend Zen during my 2 month hiatus and have nothing else to use it for, so I will buy a Vesta next month with the next stipend.

That one at least has been proven to be a well rounded ship and has (soft) canon origins, so an actual halfway good design.

Unfortunately every Federation ship that ever came out of the Cryptic Originals design workshop has been butt ugly.

The Odyssey and the Chimera are the exceptions, but those are actually based on bought designs from fans (though I have some issues with both of them, so they are not perfect)

For some reason their current ship designer is reaaaally good at replicating existing designs with great accuracy (wish he would redo the classics from launch), but completely fails at original Federation design work.

Next ship might be the Constellation class, the saucer has already been leaked and been usable by some players on their Stargazer ships and actually looks great again.

So, still waiting for a Cryptic Original that I would be ok with seeing in an actual canon Trek production.

These new Dyson ships are not it.

Edit: Sorry for the rant. XD

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Fixed the problem. Didn't work out that I had to select the ship. Glad the missions to 23rd century are over.

And I'll send a request in the other thread.

13. intrinsical

Its not really a rant. Cryptic designed federation ships are indeed ugly.

And the science destroyers are indeed a joke. Is there any portion of the game that requires the versatility of transforming between science and tactical mode? I don't think so... And proton weapons are weaker than currently available weapons, even after being buffed up by consoles and dyson sets. So what they are selling is a ship with unnecessary versatility and is weaker than existing ships.. Why would anyone buy it?

14. Ruaidhri

No chance in hell will I be buying those Dyson ships. Way too much for too little return. I've purchased a few ships, but never a three-pack. And yeah, the material on these ships is not nice. I have a feeling that they will not sell well at all. Only the die-hard collectors who have to have everything will be realistically looking at them.

I did get the free ship, one of each version, and will probably use it regularly on one character.

Oh, and I have to say that the mirror heavy cruiser is a surprisingly good vessel. I picked one up off the exchange for a Fed engineer I was leveling, and have really enjoyed it. Didn't use the Constellation saucer--I didn't think it went with the other parts very well in the ship tailor. Gone now, of course.

15. Timelord Victorious

What are the stats?

16. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I saw the saucer also on a ship last week. Looked good to me.
    That is something I am willing spend Zen to for sure. I just hope its a T5 ship and not T3( the bridge from Stargazer would be nice too..but doubt we get it).

There seems to be some new Defiant-class skins coming also(?), seen in this youtube video:

http://youtu.be/83B_zluOv_8

17. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Heh. Got to the Hobus mission on my new toon, and was preparing for the final, epic battle with the Sithesh. First close-range pass, I got caught by the tractor beam, and so prepared for the plasma torpedo spam of death (I was out of my Grav Well/Tyken arc, so had no quick defence). Hit Brace for Impact, and got ready to respawn. Unfortunately, the warbird had grabbed me far too close, and his own torpedoes took him out! :D

18. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Canon's in the eye of the beholder. CBS drums it into Cryptic's heads that they consider STO to be the prime universe canon now. I'm told they're quite emphatic about it.

19. Ruaidhri

Same boff layout as the Support Cruiser retrofit, better turn rate. Lt Commander science boff is nice for grav well.

Hull:36,000
    Shield Modifier:1
    Weapons:Fore 4 Aft 4
    Crew:500
    Bridge Officers: CMDR Eng; Lt Cmdr Sci; Lt Eng; Lt Tac; Ens Tac
    Device Slots:4
    Consoles: Tac 3 Eng 3 Sci 3
    Turn Rate:8
    Impulse Modifier:0.15
    Inertia rating:30
    Bonus Power:+5 all power levels

20. intrinsical

Ouch. If that is CBS's view, then it has a lot of implications about the future of Trek as we know it.

For instance, it kinda imply that no new show will be set in the prime universe simply because a prime universe show will have to respect the "history" of not just TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, but also included the events of STO. And I don't see it happening if STO still has an ongoing and unfinished story to tell since the show cannot step on the toes of STO's "canon" story.

And if these are supposed to be canon stories, I demand better stories!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.