‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because Orci doesn't work for Bad Robot anymore. Five years ago, he and Kurtzman founded their own production company, K/O Paper Products, which was a production partner with Bad Robot on Into Darkness. Bad Robot basically equals J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk. K/O has done a bunch of stuff that Abrams had nothing to do with, including Hawaii Five-0, Transformers: Prime, Cowboys and Aliens, Sleepy Hollow, Ender's Game, and possibly The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which Kurtzman & Orci cowrote. (Wikipedia lists that as a K/O Paper Products credit, but IMDb doesn't.)

These days, most executive producers have their own production companies, which I think are basically the producers themselves and their immediate staffs. So lots of shows and films are joint productions between multiple companies, which really just means multiple producers working together on a project. For instance, House M.D. was a co-production of Heel & Toe Films (Paul Attanasio & Katie Jacobs), Bad Hat Harry Productions (Bryan Singer), and Shore Z Productions (David Shore) along with NBC Universal Television. The more high-ranking producers on a show, the more vanity cards you'll see in its end credits.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be hilarious if he took the "Fuck off" attitude to the next level and just ruined the film for everyone out of spite. "It's MY Trek, and I you don't like it, then to hell with you!!!"

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well, that second sentence would probably happen, but not by way of the first. In his eyes he'd just be proving the validity of his artistic vision.

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah. Thanks, Chris.

Creating schisms is easy, it would be hilarious if he was given the job and produced a work which caused the Age Of Aquarius to Dawn among the Fanship.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Honestly, making a film for yourself and not caring what the fans think is arguably the best way to make a good film that the fans will love. If you worry too much about pleasing other people, your work won't be as honest or meaningful or courageous as it will be if you just tell the story you feel you have to tell regardless of what anyone else thinks. The biggest mistake fans make is assuming that creators are obligated to do what the fans want. The best stories are those that show us something new, something we didn't realize we wanted until we saw it.

6. BigJake

Assuming one's ideas are good, yes.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Whose the ultimate arbiter of whether an idea is good or not? Hugo? :lol:

8. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Agree completely.

I don't know what would be more entertaining - a really great trek film from him or a complete train wreck and the attendant fan outrage. :lol:

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think even a great movie will spur enough fanrage from some quarters to keep the BBS busy for awhile.:)

10. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

I'd say that'd be a foregone conclusion.

I would love a Trek directed by Bryan Singer. Hopefully the troubles he is caught up in right now will be resolved by the time a decision needs to be made. Paramount is on a pretty tight timetable.

11. BigJake

^ I'm trying not to hope one way or another about Bryan Singer's troubles, since there's no way of knowing the truth. Even if it is resolved, it looks to me like he would have wayyy too much on his plate.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

"Truther" bullshit?

13. BigJake

^ Orci is a known "9/11 Truther," a conspiracy theorist about the 9/11 attacks. (You know, "9/11 was an inside job," that sort of thing.) Some people see his Trutherism as being hinted at in STID's conspiracy-laden storyline.

14. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I'd give a week's pay to see that.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what Uwe Boll does all the time.

16. BigJake

A zing, and also a burn.

17. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'd say a little more than hinted at, given that the film ends with a dedication to 9/11 victims in the credits.

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Oh, sweet Jesus...

19. BigJake

^ Yeah. There's good reason why a lot of people are not very sympathetic to Orci.

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, while I agree about a first time Director taking on such a big budget, high profile project, if J.J. has confidence in him, maybe he's up to the challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.