Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I figured it was an unintended consequence, a sign that things have gotten out of Rumpy's control, but it could certainly also be another force at work-- such as Cora.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Well, if there was any remaining question as to who Dr. Whale was, next week's preview just erased it...

Can this show get any more epic??

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Tonight's episode pretty much said - in so many words - that the inability of anyone to leave Storybrooke without losing their memories of who they were in Fairy Tale Land directly tied in with Rumple bringing back magic, and wasn't something he was expecting to happen.

Speaking of tonight's episode, here's my full review:

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the "forget everything at the town line" is the price of magic. What Rumple wants the most, he can't have.

5. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I did like how Smee came up and it took me some time to recognize the famous red cap/striped shirt. I also recognized the actor being the guy at the cafe in the tv show Eureka. It took me some time to see that.

I did catch the reference of the library where Belle is now working at - the same as the Disney's Beauty and the Beast animated movie.

I actually like the fairybacks about Rumple. I guess with the flashbacks being of fairy tales origin, it is easier to play with continunity since all of the events occur in "medieval" times. I would like to see more of the Ogre Wars though.

6. DigificWriter

Yep. Rumple told Regina that magic was unpredictable in Storybrooke, but he also clearly wasn't expecting it to be THAT unpredictable. He brought magic to Storybrooke to give himself an advantage, most likely over Regina given their long and complicated history and rivalry, but, as was the case when he became the Dark One in the first place, he ended up inadvertently screwing himself over, since introducing magic created a 'secondary curse' that has trapped him - and everyone else - in Storybrooke as effectively as the original Dark Curse did, but with greater detrimental effect.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm waiting for the inevitable "why would I want to go back?" movement among the peasant types.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm way off here, but Rumple always knew who he was, right? In one episode last season when he was in jail, Regina asked Gold, who he was, and he said Rumplestilsken, so if he crossed the town line what would he forget? He didn't have an alternate life like everyone else (except Jefferson and Regina).

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was trying to figure out who he was going to be!

I loved that Hook called Rumplestiltskin a crocodile when he first saw him as the Dark One, and I hope we get to see Neverland at some point.

I liked the little reference to Game of Thrones as well :lol:

This show has got so much going I sometimes forget that it's only in its second season. There's been so much backstory and character revelations it seems like it's been going on for much longer than 30ish episodes.

10. DigificWriter

The PTB have said that Rumple was only aware of his 'true' identity from the Pilot on (after he heard Emma say her name in Granny's), but there IS on-screen evidence suggesting that he may or may not have known who he was from the moment the curse deposited everyone in Storybrooke.

Regarding what he would lose were he to cross the town line, everything that Rumple has done has been geared towards getting to our world, waiting for his Dark Curse to be broken, and then setting out to find Bae.

Unfortunately, as Belle said in last night's episode, the 'wrinkle' of the 'secondary curse' created when Rumple brought magic to Storybrooke now means that if Rumple were to cross the town line to go and try to find Bae, he wouldn't remember him even if he did manage to find him.

11. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I don't recognize the red cap. Who is this character, Smee?

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's Captain Hook's right hand man. Bob Hoskins played him in the movie Hook.

13. DigificWriter

You seriously don't know who Smee is? He's Captain Hook's first mate and/or chief servant, depending on which version of the Peter Pan story you're looking at.

The version of the character who appeared in last night's episode was clearly based on the version of the character who appeared in Walt Disney's 1953 animated film adaptation of the story, with the only significant difference that I can see being the character having a first name (William).

Interestingly enough, while the character of Smee was clearly based on the 1953 Disney film, his boss, Captain Jones (AKA Hook), was/is not, as far as I can tell, based on any specific previous version of the character.

Edit: Ninja'ed.

14. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Oh, duh! SMH Now I get it. Thanks!

15. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I felt zero sympathy for Milah and Hook. As one poster hilariously said on another board, even douchebags need love I guess.

Do the Dwarves seriously think they will find fairy dust?

Glad Belle stood up for herself. :)

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OMG! I was trying and trying to place Smee! Didn't recognize him without the hair and sideburns!

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Neither did I.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think I first recognized him in the scene where Rumpy had him tied up.

Another great episode, even though there was no sign of Emma, Regina, Mulan or Henry. The rehabilitation of Rumpelstiltskin continues. He's quite a sympathetic character, despite his evil shenanigans. Captain Hook and his dead ex-wife are far less sympathetic.

Good point about Rumpy not having a false identity in Storybrooke. What would happen to him if he left town? Would he just have total amnesia?

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think Rumpy has a second identity - Mr. Gold. It's just that unlike the others, his real personality was never forgotten.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode. I do have to agree that I had no sympathy for Milah at all, although "Hook" seemed like an interesting villain. I loved how they cast Rumple as "the crocodile" I was not expecting that at all. I loved the developments with Belle in the episode too. Very intrigues by that last scene.