Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

For myself, I find it interesting that it's evident that in that one shot from Lonely Among Us that the set didn't have the windows. I suppose it was to prevent the production equipment being reflected in the windows. I feel from this one shot, and the infamous cardboard on the back walls of the bridge, that the cinematographers hadn't found their groove in the first season. I like that the exterior walls of the set are now gray, not that ugly green.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

^The transparent aluminum is just really, really clean. :)

But it's obvious even in later seasons that there is nothing in the window frames. Y'just gotta go with it. :)

3. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Because, with the remastered, they are using newer technology to transfer the shots from the film... the blu-ray is how they should've looked back then, but the technology didn't allow the quality to be captured... since it was analog and not digital...

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They did post-production on video tape, that is why it always looked so poor.

5. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing they might do to make the new set noticeable is change the UPC or, like was done with Saving Private Ryan, which also had an audio issue on bluray, change the color of the UPC label: http://www.slashfilm.com/paramount-recalls-saving-private-ryan-blu-ray-discs/

The studio could also ask retailers to pull the original sets from shelves in favor of corrected replacements.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.

7. digger

digger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, Maxwell.

8. Chris2005

I hadn't noticed anything in that episode...

However, here is information for those seeking replacement discs:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/#audioprobs

9. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Any word on R2 replacements?

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Instructions are forthcoming.

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Okay, I just watched the first 15 minutes of "Lonely Among Us" again, this time connected directly to an HDTV so I could listen to it through it's speakers and I do not hear a problem -- at least not anything beyond typical set acoustics and deficiencies with the original magnetic audio tape.

Since I already confirmed this episode does not have the dialogue duplicated in the left and right channels on my full 7.1 system, I consider this episode fine... it sounds as it's supposed to, anyway.

It gets my seal of approval (whatever that's worth :lol:).

12. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maxwell'd.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched 3 more episodes last night so some thoughts on those:

-The Last Outpost really does bring out the worst in TNG sometimes. I remember when I first came to these boards (More than 10 years ago), one common complaint was the Enterprise Crew talking down to the aliens they meet saying they are not civilized. That's pretty much what happens here. I'm glad they calmed that down in the later seasons, but what right does Riker have to judge the Ferangi.

-Where No One looks stunning in HD. Loved what they did with that episode.

-This isn't one of the discs being replaced but did anyone notice an Echo when Picard revealed himself to be the alien? It was in the ready room with Crusher near the end of the episode. Also, maybe I just didn't notice this on the DVDs but it looked like when the Enterprise goes to Warp back to the cloud, we don't get the entire warping effect (That diamond special effect mostly) and the screen actually cuts to black for a brief moment. Again, not major issues, and those are stuff I can live with, but it seemed a little weird.

I honestly can't wait till the "new uniform" seasons are on Blu Ray. I guess having just seen Season 1 (And even Shades of Gray like 2 months ago, I find myself wanting to pop in a DVD from Season 5 (Or last night after Where No One, see Remember Me). Still, this has been a great purchase and looking forward to the fixed discs.

14. Doug Otte

I already thanked you for responding to my similar post over at AVS Forum, but wanted to thank you again for the detective work you did. I also listened to the right speaker to confirm that the episode only had dialogue from the center channel.

I only know that it sounded bad to me. I've also watched Naked and Where No Man using the surround sound, and the dialogue definitely sounded dodgy to me on Lonely, but perhaps that's the way it was recorded. Thanks again.

15. Chris2005

The same reason, humans are judged among humans, for their pros and cons... however, the Ferengi did act rather immature in "The Last Outpost," they had more composure in "The Battle."

Agreed.

The echo was in the DVD version as well, so I don't think it's a problem.

As for the warping, I think we cut back to the dialogue before that effect starts... they did add it in "Where No One Has Gone Before" though.

If you got the sampler back in January, they had 2 episodes, one from Season 3, and one from 5... when they had the shoulder padded uniforms...

Hadn't noticed any audio problems in "The Naked Now" or "Where No One Has Gone Before," I've only noticed audio issues in the episodes that have been mentioned, like "11001001," "Haven," etc.

16. Doug Otte

I can see that my post above was vaguely worded. I meant that Naked and Where No Man sounded fine in 5.1, and that I think the dialogue in Lonely sounds bad by comparison.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

I think this is an intended effect on his voice to show that it's not the real Picard speaking any more.

19. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think I'll be waiting for the Complete Series set. By then all the errors and kinks will be fixed, and maybe even the SD-upconverted shots, too.

20. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain