A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Ouch... :rommie:

2. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I'm in a weird mood tonight, what can I say? :eek:

I liked Revulsion, an average but entertaining episode. Sometimes I get a little tired of the Doctor flipping out with glee everytime he meets another hologram, but I guess it is understandable.

3. Vykan12

Vykan12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If TNG didn't exist, or someone (such as myself) say VOY before TNG, then those criticisms don't apply at all. Then again, there is something to be said for over-exploring the same topic. I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

4. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

What you call "TNG-esque" episodes, I call "Star Trek" episodes.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Another one of those Hologram episodes that doesn't pause to think about the ramifications. Seriously, holotechnology should be more closely regulated if you can effectively create a new, sentient being at the touch of a button. It started with Moriarty on TNG, continued with the Doctor on Voyager, and then DS9 created Vic Fontaine. They can even suffer mental traumas and go on a rampage of murder. The only episode that really touches on it is "Author, Author", which is just a pale imitation of "The Measure of a Man" with added comedy in the first half. The scene at the end where it is revealed that the Mark I EMHs are being used as slaves is shocking really.

The scene where Evil Hologram grabs B'Elanna's heart is pretty cool though.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, I just shake my fist at them and pull an angry face. I save the shouting for the teens who hang around at the bus stop, damn degenerates and their buses.

Now there's an idea...

The criticism has more to do with Voyager ignoring its premise and characters in favour of the style of story telling done on TNG. TNG was about a big ship called Enterprise exploring the galaxy and safeguarding the Federation, Voyager was about a small ship with a mixed crew who have limited resources in a dangerous region of space while desperately trying to get home. The shows were about different things and that should have been apparent in the story-telling.

7. Praetor

Yep. If they wanted to keep telling all the same types of stories, they should have never ended TNG. A TNG-style story is IMO excusable if it is directly relevant to a VGR character or plot point.

8. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I thought the big red button was for resets? :confused:

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Fortunately, the bio-neural gelpacks provide enough flexibility that the big red button can be used for many things!

10. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does it also generate new redshirts? That would explain a lot - they keep hitting the button, getting new disposable crewmen, who patch up the ship and keep it all pristine and they're either put back in the box until they're needed again or they get killed, which explains why no one on the ship cares about losing every valuable and irreplaceable life on the ship.

11. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I think you me be onto something here. In fact, it would explain why the number of crewmembers grew over the years, and why alien crewmembers kept appearing and disappering.

12. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All of those functions, and to think it runs entirely on Leola roots!!!

13. TheGodBen

The Raven (***½)

Seven's catsuit is worse than I remembered it, it is utterly ridiculous. I have to struggle in order to take her character seriously and I find that upsetting because potentially she could be a great character. It is hard not to judge a book by its cover when the cover is filled with flashy neon lights that keep getting in the way of what you're trying to read.

The story about Seven being reactivated and returning to the ship where she was assimilated as a child was good, but they added a suspense angle with some hostile xenophobic aliens who come off as particularly poor villains. Seven Borgifies the shields on a shuttle in order to get past a fleet of alien ships unharmed, which leads me to question why she doesn't enhance the shields on Voyager in the same way, it would make Voyager nigh-invincible, but I guess that's a plot point which isn't going to get past this episode.

Was anyone else confused by Neelix saying he was going to steam Seven's first meal because frying it may be risky for her first meal, but then he fries it anyway? :wtf: This guy is beyond stupid, I'm glad Seven attacked him.

Two shuttles! In one episode! And they leave one behind on a planet! *grumbles loudly*

Shuttles Lost: 8

[​IMG]

14. Praetor

I also liked "The Raven" even if those aliens sucked. And I doubt you'll find much argument that the catsuit was an annoying distraction or that the shield bit is a plot point that won't go far. I'm sure we could invent a reason why it wouldn't work on Voyager herself...

(Good work reusing destro's machine image, btw. :D)

15. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seven's character proves to be one of the best on Voyager, but I'll add my voice to the choir of how the catsuits were cheap ratings ploys and nothing else.

I really wish that after a point, Seven was given an honorary commission and put into a science blue uniform - she wore one a few times and it looked rather nice on her, especially when she let her hair down. It's one thing to have a 'functional' hairdo, but what's so efficient about having hair that long and clipping it into that style all the time? Either cut it off or wear it out.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh, you sure missed a certain poster's thread in General Trek. I'm confident he'll show up and defend the catsuit. ;)

17. Praetor

...Oh. :sigh:

;)

18. TheGodBen

The sad truth of the matter is that Seven looked so much better in a regular uniform with her hair down, yet the producers thought we all preferred her in the cat-suit when that wasn't the case (certain posters excluded ;)). She's an attractive woman, they should have let her be that rather than make her into a joke.

19. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

Well, speaking as a woman, I can say that having hair that long and pulling it back is actually much easier to to do than having short hair. Short hair cannot be pulled out of your face without a lot of fuss and muss, short hair is actually harder to style, and short hair is difficult to do anything with if you've got a causal cut and want to go for something dressy. It's a fine line, really. All I'm saying is the long yet pulled back look is more practical/functional than you might think.

Also, count me in the number that never wanted Seven to be commissioned. Her character would not have worked in the guise of a Starfleet officer. She and Janeway clashed heads enough just trying to get her to be human.

I understand the early practicality of "the suit" as well. Later in the series, I could have gone with her moving into something more 'civilian' like, but I think it would have been a shame to be make her less curvy. We've always had a curvy, eye-candy woman in our Trek series.

Uhura
    Deanna Troi
    Kira
    Kes/Seven
    T'Pol

I mean, I can deal with that.

20. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

The show was also about exploration too you forget, they said so in the pilot.
    I think you overrated "The Raven" a little bit, I found it a bit boring.
    I do agree the Silver catsuit was distracting but the rest were babetastic and the Voyager uniforms were completely shapeless, her beautiful body would have been wasted in that horrible thing - I thought it looked bad in Relativity.
    The only time the uniform looked good on the women was when it was suited up like a catsuit - like Jadzia's or Deanna's catsuit uniform. I just think tight fitting clothing always looks best and would rather have the rest of the crew switching over to tight one pieces than Seven switch into the awful Voyager uniform - which I found to be one the worst ST uniforms of all.