DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the detailed outline. That doesn't sound like anything I need to go back a read.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although there is an interesting nugget in there. Joker trying to get Catwoman to marry him, just like he did to Batgirl a few weeks ago.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^Actually, no. The Joker asked Catwoman to marry Batman.

Told ya it was weird.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with The Joker is that too many writers think that it's enough to throw in random weird shit and that equals crazy.

I'm pretty glad my Bat-books are down to BATMAN and BATGIRL these days.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hearing enough good things about this Joker story, and Snyder is a pretty good writer, that I will probably end up getting getting the trade of this. But it's a sure sell ONLY if there's a Joker vs Gaucho one shot.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just following "The Death of the Family" story in "Batman". That's good enough for me.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly--the problem with Catwoman is not only is it sexist, it has completely demeaned the character to the point where she is nothing. It has undone any of the greatness of the previous book she had. What's more, the just sounds like weird softcore bondage crap.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Ann Nocenti happened. Possibly the worst writer in comics.

9. Agent Richard07

I dropped Catwoman pretty early on because she was becoming like some crazy repulsive cat lady, but I got issue #0 and it was pretty good. It showed us some of her pained background.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Goes nicely with the worst editor in chief that DC hired.

11. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Am I the only one who is getting exhausted from the, shall we say, "ambitious" panel layout in Batwoman?

12. OdoWanKenobi

I'm still reading Batman and Robin, but that's almost certainly getting dropped after Death of the Family. Other than that it's just Batman, Batgirl, and Nightwing for me. I've heard that Detective Comics has really made a turnaround, though.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've dropped "Batman and Robin". It's been too inconsistent for me and I really don't like Tomasi's writing or what he's done with Damian, doesn't feel very progressive at all IMO after the work that Dick did with him in Morrison's run. I've been down to just "Batman" and "Batman Incorporated" for quite some time now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. OdoWanKenobi

I think Tomasi writes a great Green Lantern Corps. If I had my way, he would write Guy Gardner until the end of time. He's one of the few writers that actually gets him. His Batman has been really inconsistent, though. The first arc was strong, but it's just floundered since then. The only real highlight being the one panel that my avatar is from.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm generally a Marvel guy, but the Death of the Family crossover has intrigued me enough to try it out. I decided on getting the main Batman book along with Nightwing, Batgirl and the single issue of Catwoman. (I'm glad that Catwoman was only the single issue. Peee-Yuu!)

I've no interest in The Teen Titans, Red Hood and the Outlaws or Suicide Squad, so I'll be skipping those. I was thinking of picking up Batman and Robin, but the comments here are making me reconsider. Detective will be part of the story, correct? Does anybody know what that book's "hook" to the larger story will be about? All of the other books feature sidekicks and allies, but I'm not sure what Detective is bringing to the table.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  16. OdoWanKenobi

From what I gather, Detective will focus on the Penguin. The Joker seems to have a special place for him in his plan.

17. Agent Richard07

Finally dropped Firestorm, but I got lots of other stuff.

Ame-Comi Girls #1 and #2: DC is putting out a series based on a line of collectable figures that feature various female superheroes. I had to have 'em.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aquaman #14: I wanted to give up this title, but it's been so well written lately that I have to continue for now.

Arrow #1: Decided to check this out because it's based on my favorite new show of the season.

Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #4

Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #4: Got this variant cover…

[​IMG]

Justice League Dark #14: This is my favorite title right now.

Non-DC title… Adventures of a Comic Con Girl #3

18. theenglish

I buy my comics a month later because I buy them digitally. Just read JL14. Wow, if the first year had been written like this, it would easily be the coolest series of the new 52 now. The origin story would have been a decent four issues, the making of the villain would have ended around issue 8 and we still would have had more character development than in the last year.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman Incorporated #5.

At this point, I have no idea if this takes place in the Nu52. And I don't really care. I just want to see Morrison reach the ending of his grand Batman saga, end it the way he wants to, and if it doesn't like up with what everyone else is doing, then so be it.

As awesome as this issue was (and it was awesome -- I loved the way Morrison conveyed Bruce's relationships with Jason and Damian), it also feels like we're nearing the end, that Morrison is pulling his toys off the table and putting them away.

Also, this Leviathan saga is starting to feel like "Court of Owls" and "Death of the Family" all rolled into one -- an enemy from the shadows is striking out at Bruce on a personal level, and an enemy is hitting at Batman by attacking his allies. Coincidence or a larger plan? I'm not sure.

20. theenglish

This will all end as Talia's dream.