Book reading timeline

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mindx2, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll see about that in a little bit.

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Check the links in the following post. Both sites are built on the timeline in VOTI. But they seem to both be stopped. But they will do fine for what you want.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5100835&postcount=20

3. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks JWolf. That will certainly help, I just need to try and sift through it to find what I need. It's not exactly user friendly the way it's splits up different chapters from a book into different parts of the timeline :confused:.

4. ryan123450

That's how VotI is formatted. Since you can get the info on all those crossover series you wanted from that site, I won't post thier placements here.

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Well, if a book has chapters that would fall at different places in the timeline, I'm not really sure if there would be a better way to do that to know where in the timeline the book fits. Since it doesn't fit in a single place. :/

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wow. My computer access has been limited recently so I haven't had a real chance to read through this thread until today. Good work everyone!

7. mindx2

Unfortunately, I can't (won't :eek:) split/cut/tear my books up into different chapters to fit on my book shelf. Trying to place them chronologically according to the majority of when the book takes place. Hope that makes sense :D.

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

But it is set up also so you find where the book fits as a whole. So just ignore the bits with the chapters as if there were not there.

9. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

What about buying multiple copies? :D

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it come to that I usually go with either the frame (if there is one), or the majority of the book if there is no frame. For instance, if I were to get physical copies of the Eugenics Wars books, I'd place them based on the Kirk and co. scenes, not the Gary Seven stuff.

11. ryan123450

That's my preferred method as well.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I used to try to fit everything chronologically, but as we got more anthologies and collections and such, I ended up establishing a separate section on the bookshelf for volumes that span multiple time periods -- mostly collections but also things like The Eugenics Wars, Burning Dreams, and The Best and the Brightest. I was tempted to put Watching the Clock there too, but since it spans roughly the same timeframe as Rough Beasts of Empire and there's relatively little else in that span, I decided to put those two adjacent to each other.

13. mindx2

I thought about doing it that way but am ending up putting collections, anthologies, etc. chronologically based on the 1st story. As far as single novels that span large time frames I'm putting them where the majority of the story takes place. If there isn't a majority time frame, or not an obvious one, I'll put it in from the beginning of where the story takes place.

14. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I arrange my Trek books by series then by publishing date. Much easier for one's sanity.

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Until recently I put them in chronological order (as determined by the majority of the story, or the frame if there is one, with occasional deviations). Anthologies were collected separately on the end. Now there are too many books for the available space and they're mostly piled semi-randomly. I need to buy another bookcase or three...there are piles of books, Trek and otherwise, all over my room.

So the literary timeline has collapsed.

16. mindx2

:eek: Doesn't that violate the Temporal Prime Directive somehow?! :eek:

17. ryan123450

I blame Future Guy.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do the same thing with my anthologies.

19. mindx2

I received my Voyages of the Imagination book and can't put it down! I bought it strictly for the time line but found myself reading it from the first page onward. There is wonderful information contained within.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but searching the forums is not easy so please excuse any repetition with my questions:

1) It seems that Killing Time created some controversy that had the publisher edit it and reissue the book. What exactly was edited and is it difficult to find an unedited version? Does the reissue show it as a 1st print or second and if not how do you tell which version you have?

2) Vonda N. McIntyre wrote many Star Trek novels but did not want to discuss it with the author. Was there ever an explanation given? I ask because I greatly enjoyed Enterprise: The First Adventure and also wanted to read what she thought about writing the early novel The Entropy Effect.

There is much more to read from this book and I'm sure I'll have other questions. These questions, specifically about authors, is not intended to pry or discuss information that should not be.

Thank you as always!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC Before she became a novelist Della van Hise was very active in fan-fiction and especially in Kirk/Spock slash, and some of the scenes between Kirk and Spock were geared too much in that direction. She actually rewrote it before it went to the printers but somehow an earlier draft was actually sent to the printers.

No explanation was given IIRC, but she blogged about writing Star Trek a few years ago.