Obesity in the Star Trek Universe?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Newspaper Taxi, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something hit me the other day -- how would/does the Federation deal with the concept of obesity? Would it even exist in the Federation's time? One of the reasons why it's so bad for the body is because of how much it stresses the body but maybe they have technology to ease that so it's pretty much the same as a normal weight. Also, they probably have greater control of the calorie contents of their food. I wonder, though; would it be seen as a lifestyle choice? Since humanity is advanced enough not to discriminate on appearance I imagine there wouldn't be a stigma around fatter people as there is today.

I'm pretty tired at the moment so my memory is probably skipping over alot of characters but the only character I remember being quite over-weight is Scotty. I don't remember anyone giving him a hard time or suggesting combinations of exercises and dieting.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the 24th century, I'd assume they could just transport fat out of you. And turn it into delicious replicated pizza. Rinse and repeat.

Heck, there's no reason to even wait for it to be turned into fat. I have a dream, a dream of a toiletless society.

3. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

K'mpec was pretty chunky before he was poisioned. Starfleet is fairly fit although Levar Burton had put on some weight in Nemesis.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So did Jonathan Frakes, but neither of them qualify as obesity. That leads me to believe that the 24th Century did away with obesity, yet at the same time doesn't emphasize image over substance (ie, there are no super-skinny bulimic or anorexic people, either). Rather, obesity is done away for health reasons, not vanity, and though some people may get a little puffy due to nature, they're still healthy all around.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Kov was a bit on the heavy side. So was Mott the barber. Outside the Federation, there was also a fat Ferengi.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

You eat sweets in the holodeck. ;)

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Obesity was little more than a fad that didn't last beyond the mid 21st century.

8. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    As I recall, Harry Mudd was on the portly side. And in Unification, Pt. II, the four-armed piano (or whatever instrument) player was overweight, too.

9. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Also outside the Federation, there was that Klingon who ran a restaurant/food stand on DS9, he was quite portly.

10. Thelin

Thelin Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought of Mudd, too. Also, now that I think about it, the fellow who sold the Tribbles, Cyrano Jones, was on the chunky side.

Don't know if either of them count as obese or not.

11. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But then again, we don't know what counts as 'obese' for non human species.
    That might be the ideal weight for those individuals.

12. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Maybe the idea of obesity as an appearance based bias will have disappeared and weight will be health based - this will reduce the anxiety which humans sometimes feel about being overweight and therefore reduce stressors that contribute to unhealthy weight management. Obesity that is truly based on phyisical/chemical factors could be handled with medicine and bio control.

13. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In STIV, McCoy gave a woman pills which cured her need for dialysis within 15 minutes or so. I'm sure he has pills for obesity, too.

14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Commander Red Shirt

Wow, this thread made it this far without one joke at Shatner's expense. Amazing.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Many of the examples of people being portly have been male. Has there ever been any examples of "portly" females, or does the future have a "No Fat Chicks" rule?

16. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

Well, in Starfleet at least, members have to pass routine physicals, so I'm sure there's definitelyy a fitness standard that must be met. As for the rest of the Federation...the explanations given above fit well enough for me.

17. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Not only is there no obesity, but there are hardly creepy ugly people as well! I don't see many women with mustaches, for example, or with a big wart on their nose. :D

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Women on TV can't be fat or ugly. Unless they're on Brit TV which actually shows real people, not fake Barbie dolls.

19. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

No, Brit TV doesn't show real people, it only shows ugly people. I refuse to believe that there are so unbelievably many horribly ugly people in the United Kingdom. Simply can't be true.

20. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

Riker's weight fluctuated a lot during the Pegasus incident