TNG & The Women

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WhateverMan, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She had a cruel fate, but at least her final death by trying to escape with her daughter is absolutely in character. I like Sela and I thing she could have been used in movies, but her disappearance is a typical problem with MALE AND FEMALE characters of TNG.
    I think a part of the problem is people don't realise that TNG is an old show. It ended exactly twenty years ago. The perceptions have continued to evolve. In 2014, medicine and psychology are usual profession for women, it’s no more a fresh way to show empowered women on scree. What was the general situation of female characters in American movies and tv-shows between 1987 or 1994?
    Troi was a character at maximum level of feminity, but I don't think it would have been more interesting for audience to only have tomboys as female officers. At least, she also had the excuse of having been raised by a quite conservative aristocratic alien mother.
    I like Pulaski, but she was definitely too much based on Bones. Perhaps the writers would have given her more originality if she had remained longer on the show. At least, her attitude clashed with the other main characters. She also clashed with her personal background: she wasn’t a widow, she wasn’t had a painful divorce (at least a difference with Bones), she didn’t sacrifice her love life to have a career, she was many time divorced and happy with that.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I would have liked Pulaski a lot more if she hadn't treated Data like shit.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Well, my intended joke is a little late, but....

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MCMHFGtks[/yt]

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock's utter and complete panic when he realises that "The Women!!!" are gone ... is palpable. Not having women around is enough to drive even a Vulcan to an emotional scene that would bring The House down! It can't be overstated how absolutely essential they are ... so, there goes your proof!

5. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol: It was the first thing to come to my mind as well. The second thing was I could hear Picard intoning along with Riker in the turbolift while he talked about Risa during 'Captain's Holiday' saying "the women." :guffaw:

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

6. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is crying supposed to be "soft and weak?". I don't think it makes Tasha, as a female character, "weak". Rather, it makes her human.

I would have absolutely no problem seeing a male character cry. In fact, hasn't Picard wept several times during the show, and in the movies? Would you say he's any less "male"? Patrick Stewart is probably the embodiment of "maleness" on TNG, IMO.

7. GalaxyX

Fucking hell yes!!!

That is all.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not the act, it's the context of the act. Regardless, that scene was narmy as all hell.

9. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She didn't have the same attitude toward Data during the whole season, she accepted him later. I think Pulaski was pretty good in Elementary, Dear Data justly because she had a different attitude than other characters: more gutsy, less smarmy.

And what's wrong to have flawed main characters instead of only having outsider like Maddox?

10. GalaxyX

Hmm, a woman that's already traumatized by practically her whole youth of feeling helpless, is forced to live a moment where she again feels helpless to stop something horrible to happen to her. Crying was perfectly fitting in my opinion, and Picard's consolation was the icing on the cake. The only thing I hated was Tasha's come on at the end (what were they thinking?)

Other than that, I thought it was a great scene that showed Tasha was human, and in no way, shape or form did it detract from the fact that she was a tough, strong woman.