"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just realized something else. The bad guys in this movie didn't have costumes. All super villains must wear costumes. They were just guys with glowing faces.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

There were a lot of WTF moments in this movie. For instance, Tony was willing to face a terrorist strong-hold without armor (using make-shift weapons from Home Depot), and we later find out that he has 41 suits ready to go at a moment's notice.

Also, the idea that any of this stuff was necessary for the main villain to get weapons contracts is stupidity of the highest order. I have no idea why they think the president is the go-to person for getting weapons contracts approved. It's an indication these people have zero idea how the government works, and they obviously haven't been paying attention if they think the U.S. needs to be convinced to pay more money on weapons contracts.

I don't think the writers gave the "money" motivation more than two-second's thought. They obviously weren't even trying. Newsflash: any billionaire with a dying daughter would give up half his fortune for a dose of this stuff. You don't need to generate a demand. It's already there.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Source

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"There were a lot of WTF moments in this movie. For instance, Tony was willing to face a terrorist strong-hold without armor (using make-shift weapons from Home Depot), and we later find out that he has 41 suits ready to go at a moment's notice."

I think this was explained in the movie. It took awhile for Jarvis to get fully operational again, and for the construction crews to clear enough wreckage to uncover the opening to the Iron Vault.

BTW I just remembered that this movie name-dropped AIM and Roxxon, which was awesome!

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Roxxon was also featured in Iron Man 2, they owned/sponsored one of the Formula One cars at the Grand Prix.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Above average.

It was worth seeing, and it had some fun and funny moments.

On the down side, I won't be falling all over myself to see it again, which is the main reason I can't rate it any higher.

I knew I wasn't going to totally dig it the moment it was clear that the bad guy was basically a Buddy Pine/Syndrome type, which was evident to me about five minutes in.

Also, there was nothing suspenseful at all in anyone being with the good or bad guys, including Maya and the VP. Those two were given away early with various tells, respectively by the bombs with no bomb parts and by the number somehow getting planted on the President's cell phone with only one other noteworthy character in the Executive Branch, yet on some level the film kept acting as if there was mystery.

It was better than IM2, but not as good as IM1.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why was Rebecca Hall, half way through, talking about how she had to obey "The Master" as if the Mandarin was real when she was alone with Guy Pierce?

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You could see a Roxxon building in the background during Stark's battle with Stane in the first movie, and "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer" took place at a Roxxon gas station.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Double post.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

yeap, Jarvis definitely updates Tony saying that the wreckage has been cleared away.

12. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it better than IM2 but had to feel disappointed that I was sold the Mandarin but was delivered The Melter.

13. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

I deeply ejoyed Kiss Kiss Iron Lethal Weapon Man Rises. lol.

And jesus, Shane Black, what's the DEAL WITH XMAS?!

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Was she in on that part of it? Even Killian called him that when there were others within hearing.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I, for one, am very happy with the way the Mandarin turned out! Very happy surprise! It still makes me giggle. I've never read any of the comics and the movie is pretty much all I know about Iron Man.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I loved the way they handled it. Trevor was brilliant and totally unexpected.

18. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet, but know enough about what they did to say that it's basically what George Lucas did with Palpatine and the Prequel Trilogy, but on a grander, much more secretive scale; it'd be like Sidious (Palpatine) having stayed completely in the shadows throughout the events of TPM and AotC before revealing himself to Anakin and the Jedi in RotS.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

She may not have known the truth about Trevor, and figured there was some real Mandarin.

20. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

There is no way in a movie in 2013 fianced with so much Chiense money that we could have had the full Fu Man Chu mustache Asian sterotype and not have the Politically Correct world catch on fire.