7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 22, 2012.

?

Grade "The Power Of Three"

Poll closed Oct 24, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

32 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Good

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. The little boxes will make you angry

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ As long as you don't get attached to it, you should be okay. At least it isn't a Weeping Angel.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted Good. It was amazing how much that felt like an RTD era adventure. Matt once again came off as quite Doctorish.

Now that shes had ten years to mellow, I actually found myself liking Amy. She and Rory seem like a real couple.

I quite enjoyed the cubes, Almost as much fun as the Adipose. My only complaint was the alien menace at the end seemed rather rushed, and thrown in at the last minute. Understandable I guess, as examining the relationship between the Doctor and his companions was the real meat of the story. The rooftop scenes with Amy and the Doctor was really lovely. Probably the best use of Amy so far.

They never did explain why the Shakri was capturing humans though. Everyone seemed to forget that a dozen or so people were still on the ship when it blew up.
    And my, those few million people sure seemed to bounce back from being dead for several minutes didn't they?

*Whoo! Zygon reference!

* Heres hoping UNIT goes back to being good guys, now that they're in such capable hands. I'd love to see another story with Kate.

* And such a shame we'll likely never see Rory's dad again after next week.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I liked it. I didn't really care about the Shakri McGuffin, the episode was really about the Doctor and his relationship with Amy and Rory. (Although it was cool to see Steven Berkoff, albeit briefly, in Doctor Who. We can now add him to the list of actors who've been in Dr Who and Star Trek. He was the arms dealer in the DS9 episode 'Business as Usual' )

I'm not sure why they brought in Rory's father so late in the game, when we probably won't see him again once Amy and Rory leave the show, but I like him. He's a hoot to have around.

It was awesome to get a Lethbridge Stewart reference as well.

I'm really going to miss Amy :( She so purdy.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Slightly better than last week's average ep, so I (admittedly, generously) gave it a Good vote.

In all, a strange mix of stuff I really, really liked (UNIT back, Lethbridge-Stewart's cool daughter, the cubes themselves as a concept, the "sides" pun, the Doctor being unable to sit still and his later explanation as to why, the idea of the Shakri being a Gallifreyan bogeyman type fairy tale told to Time Lord kiddies, the Savoy hotel skit complete with the Doctor holding a Savoy cabbage at the end) and stuff I thought was truly dreadful that others have already mentioned (unexplained aspects of the plot/rushed ending, Amy's cringeworthy power of three line, the weak attempts at comedy revolving around Amy/Rory/Rory's Dad, shoehorned lame BBC cameos, people being dead for what seemed about 10-20 minutes then getting up and walking around looking just mildly perplexed).

Next week's ep actually looks genuinely good though. The Angels are the best villains of the new series.

5. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

When I saw him I thought he looked more like Vader with his helmet off.
    [​IMG]

6. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but not in the main show. It's a nod to the spin-off media.

"Merry Christmas Everybody" by Slade. It's a massively well-known song in the UK, having been the Christmas No.1 in 1973, and tends to be played ad nauseum around that time of year to this day. It was also featured in The Runaway Bride and Turn Left.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hit IMDB to see who was playing the new Lethbridge-Stewart and thought the internet would explode at who they had listed with her. I can only assume
    The Rani
    being listed is a prank.

8. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

I thought that, but before we saw him his voice was very Palps.

9. Mr. Adventure

Do you think products like this will see a surge in sales?

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

heh, thats kinda neat. i'd buy it.

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yeah that's funny.

I liked the ep, preferred it to last week, again fun nonsense. Anyone notice that Amy and Rory have makeup that ages them subtly, much as they did in TGWW? Any definitely looked more like a 30something than a 20something.

Nice nod to Lethbridge-Stewart and the Zygons. And Amy married Henry VIII ! :lol:

Steven Berkoff was underutilised, but he brought a fine sense of menace to the role, brief as it was.

And if suddenly cubes did appear everywhere and did nothing, that is exactly what we'd do with them. Or use them as free bricks and build houses with them.

And yes, the opening credits are getting darker and darker.

12. Mr. Adventure

Maybe initially, I think after a while someone would find some uses for an indestructable object.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Maybe that is the point of an otherwise "meh" episode. WHOever makes those clocks bought an hour of DW.

I liked the Kate Stewart character too.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The theory is that this episode now takes place before episode 3.

In "Mercy's" opening ,the Doctor refers to Rory leaving his phone charger in Henry VIII's en suite and that's what/who we see in "Three."

15. Mr. Adventure

This episode was kind of like "Lost', there was an interesting mystery, good character moments and in the end it doesn't make complete sense and the pieces don't really fit together. The Tally! The Tally Shall be Met! You'd need mass defibrillation!

They did a pretty good job with the trappings though. I imagine they might freak some kids out from going to the hospital, those guys were freaky, even if we don't know what the hell they were doing.

I love Amy's expressions in the hospital lift. Karen and Matt have a certain spark together. I am curious what they're building up to as far as a departure goes, this episode subverted my expectations.

I'm also curious to see if they will manage to make a good cube toy. Maybe a kitchen timer if they can get a half-way decent display effect.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad Downtime isn't out on DVD.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well I loved it, everything about it worked for me. I especially loved the mystery aspect of it, and Matt Smith was on fire as the Doctor.

I'm still not really digging the no two-parters and no overall arch this series. But for what we've gotten so far, I'm enjoying it.

18. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I've got a sickening feeling the last or next-to-last scene of next week's episode is gonna be the Doctor having to explain to Rory's dad why his son and daughter-in-law won't be coming home. :( Of course, after he just shoved them back in the Doctor's arms at the end of this episode, there's gonna be enough guilt and recrimination to go around.

Wow. Next week is gonna catapault the Weeping Angels into true Archenemy status. Only the Daleks ("The Dalek Masterplan," "Asylum of the Daleks[?]") and the Cybermen ("Earthshock") have successfully killed the Doctor's Companions, on screen at least. Even the Master never managed that. (Though he would have if not for Sexy in "The Enemy Within.")

19. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Just because you can't see the point to the episode doesn't mean there isn't a point.

At least for me, this episode is about the technological black boxes we have adopted into our everyday lives. We all use computers, mobile phones, "smart" vacuum cleaners, "bladeless" fans, twitter, youtube and so on. But most of us do not understand how these things work. We just assume that they'll do what it says on the box. To us, technology may as well be black boxes.

And most of us are content with having black boxes around us. Quietly sitting there, doing what its supposed to do until one day it starts doing what its not supposed to do. Maybe the fan stops working or the mobile phone exploding or your laptop starts showing naughty adverts. If you don't know how these black boxes work, then what can you do when it starts misbehaving?

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He killed Jack! It just didn't stick.