Beverly Crusher or Pulaski?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jaespol, May 27, 2009.

?

Beverly Crusher - come back or stay away?

1. Come back!

154 vote(s)
    79.0%
  2. Stay away!

41 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Continuing my polls about whether characters should have stayed or not...would you have preferred Beverly to stay away or to have come back like she did?
    I'll definitely go with come back, while not my favorite character I do rate Beverly highly.

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

This is difficult, because I liked them both, but in different ways!

Crusher was good because she served as a good foil to Picard, and she definately had some great episodes.

Having said that the Data/Pulaski chemistry was good (it was like a new take on the McCoy/Spock relationship, and I thought it worked well) but her character was never expanded upon enough. We found out "she requested the assignment" (like Beverly now I think about it!) and "Has been a fan of [Picard's] for quite some time" (Like Beverly)

Hmm after writing this, I'm beginning to wonder, was Pulaski a kit-bash of previous characters? :S

3. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never liked Pulaski, and was ecstatic when Crusher came back in season 3. Just another in the list of things that were immediately noticeable improvements from the very start of the season. I always liked the character of Dr. Crusher, and I missed her much in season 2. Pulaski to me felt like a bad McCoy ripoff. Like they tried to give her this relationship with Data that was sort of like McCoy/Spock, but it completely fell flat and Pulaski always came off as annoying to me. Seasons 1 and 2, for the most part, are pretty forgettable compared to the rest of the show for a variety of reasons, Pulaski among them if you ask me.

DelzCrusher likes this.
  4. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beverly Crusher is a much better doctor BIG TIME!!!:techman:

5. Oparu

Oparu Ensign Red Shirt

I love Beverly. She's funny and intelligent. She has great scenes with Picard. I was very sad when she left and ecstatic when she came back.

I'm not anti-Pulaski, she just never did much for me.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Ergh, 'stay away'. I always loved Pulaski! :techman:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Stay Away. I thought Pulaski gave the crew some flavor it was lacking.

8. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. Pulaski's character definitely irritated me, but I loved it about her-- and I loved seeing her warm up to Data. Beverly Crusher is a great character, but I find the relationship she has with her son and with the captain ridiculously uncomfortable and unresolved. Plus... she's the weakest actor in the cast.

Having said that, this is just me being over critical--- I love TNG and was happy with Crusher's return, regardless-- though I would have liked it better if they hadn't have acted like Pulaski had never been there (of course, it is a Starship, and people come and go all the time).

9. Cdr MacDuff

Cdr MacDuff Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

100% for Beverly Crusher. They did a good job with giving Pulaski a distinct personality, but i didn't like the character and Beverly was just great.

10. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Went with Beverly, though I do wish that they brought back Pulaski from time to time; sort of like how they brought back Tasha Yar (ignoring the fact that they were usually different characters of course lol)

11. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

I picked come back!:)

James

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Wow. This is actually a toughie for me because I think both characters had strong and weak points. They were definitely pushing for a McCoy and Spock thing with her and Data (even giving Pulaski McCoy's disdain for transporters), and Crusher was frequently there just to give support to other characters.

I think I have to give the nod to Crusher, because I think had Pulaski stayed they would have had to mellow her out anyway as the series progressed...

13. DebbieBiv

DebbieBiv Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Come back. Beverly is one of my fav characters. Love the chemistry and banter with Picard

DelzCrusher likes this.
  14. LaBarre

LaBarre Commander Red Shirt

Considering that this thread is about TNG and in TNG Beverly did "come back," shouldn't this speculative query be posted elsewhere?

The Fanfiction or literature threads seem to be far more relevant homes for such speculation.

15. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Both. Surely a ship the size of the Enterprise merits more than one doctor! If Starfleet follows a 24/7 duty roster there are 168 hours a week to be filled by a primary doctor - certainly neither Crusher or Pulaski can or should be on duty for all of them! I suggest there should be four head doctors and perhaps even a spare (EMH notwithstanding).

16. Jamee999

Jamee999 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, why the frick would people discuss two TNG characters in the TNG forum?

Madness!

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Generally, both Crusher and Pulaski were called the chief medical officer. The Enterprise probably had quite a few doctors onboard to handle a crew that large. Doctor Selar comes to mind right now.

Even McCoy wasn't the only doctor aboard the original Enterprise (Doctor M'Benga specialized in Vulcans).

18. Oparu

Oparu Ensign Red Shirt

In "Remember Me" Beverly looks for Doctor Hill and Doctor Selar.

She also has another doctor, I think his name is Martin, in "Violations".

The CMO probably has a team of doctors and even more nurses. We just don't see them because it's expensive to hire actors.

19. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Medical personnel are on duty 24/7, not necessarily doctors. I would assume that Starfleet has the equivlient to Medics/Corpsmen.

20. kEROTH

kEROTH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought we hashed this matter out a couple of years ago.

Pulaski, as a character, seemed like a McCoy rip-off - very derivative, but a 'safe choice' for the powers that be, who seemed to be unable to break free of the thought that the viewers had to link TNG to TOS. Her character came across as uncaring and cold - technically excellent, but not someone with whom you'd want to interact if you didn't need to. That the crew did interact with her outside of her professional duties always seemed forced, created by the writers who were obliged to use her, but not because there was a strong chemistry that made it interesting.

Beverly had a great back story that the writers didn't throw out at us, but rather teased into the character. It made her far more interesting, and the hints of some relationship with Picard was a great teaser. Taking her out in the second season seriously weakened the series, making it more TOS formula, less interpersonal.

As an actress, Muldaur was equally a 'safe' choice, for the same reasons the producers had for bringing in a dericative character. She was old school TOS, and presumably the producers and Roddenberry were leery of bringing fresh blood, lest we skitter away. Whatever her acting skills may be, she was the wrong choice here.