Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry to bump this, but I just want to say that I'm putting Farscape on hold. I might get back to it eventually, but the dip in quality after Season 1 (when it comes to the main story, even if some later episodes were better than the S1 episodes) has just been too much. The cloning Chricton thing just destroyed my interest. I don't regret buying Season 1, since the main cast (before Jar jar) is good and i like their stories, but it may be awhile before I get back to it. On the other hand, B5 season 2 is pretty cheap on Amazon, so I may get that around Christmas time and then start watching it.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Pretty typical that you would stop just as the series is reaching its strongest stretch.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Agreed. I thought that was the point where the started really started getting good. I the whole thing with cloning Chrichton and then splitting up the crew as a pretty ballsy move that actually worked out really well.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For what it's worth, the two Crichtons was a bold move that pays off wonderfully down the road.

5. kirk55555

I'm not saying I won't get back to it, but I haven't watched any of it since the last one I posted about, and I'm really not missing it, so it will probably be awhile before I decide to continue.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sell your set on ebay. It doesn't sound like Farscape is for you. You shouldn't come back to it.

7. kirk55555

I only bought Season 1 (the public library has seasons 2-4, which is how I was watching the other seasons) and I like Season 1 enough that I'll probably rewatch it sometimes.

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread makes me want to watch Farscape all over again. I just checked at Amazon.co.uk and the price of the complete set on Blu Ray just dropped to 40 pounds! I am so getting that!

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The wife and I started a rewatch last week. Last night was episode 2. I'm happy to be married to someone who says things like "There's nothing on Tuesday nights, ya wanna watch Farscape from the beginning?"

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yes... I know you liked it enough... BUT, the things you didn't like... there's MUCH MORE OF THAT to come... the things you skipped over... THAT'S WHAT THE SHOW IS GOING TO BE ABOUT.

If you didn't like that stuff... I don't think you're going to like what is to come. I'm trying to save you time and grief here.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. I haven't started yet, but once I finish up one of the streaming shows I'm watching on Netflix I probably will. They have all four seasons on there.
    EDIT: Did anyone else watch the Syfy 20th anniversary special? Ben Browder, Brian Henson, and Rockne S. O'Bannon talked a bit about Farscape.

12. Lindley

I'm still not convinced he wouldn't have liked those episodes. He chose not to watch them, which is different than not liking them.

The first season's fish-out-of-water premise is long gone by season 3, though, and the show was never really about John getting home.

13. kirk55555

Bumping this so that it doesn't get too old to bump. I just ordered Babylon 5 Season 2 from amazon, so I'll have something to post about when I get it.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Season 2 of B5 is when the actual arc starts. But watch out for the ugly transfer job, especially if you're upping it to 1080p.

15. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

kirk, just an fyi.... you cannot skip any eps of B5 from here on out. This isn't Farscape or, to a lesser extent, season 1 of B5 where you can get away with it. Every ep has an arc piece you can't miss and will be referenced in a future episode, be it in the a or b story.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well, he could maybe skip "Gray 17 is Missing".

17. Lindley

That actually has a pretty good B-story.

If anything it's "Acrs of Sacrifice" that I cringe at, although it too has some important parts.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Fast forward through the Jeremiah parts, yea, but, skip the BStory? No way, it is integral to explaining Neroon's final arc

19. kirk55555

I actually didn't skip any episodes of B5 Season 1. I don't usually skip episodes when I watch something for the first time, Farscape was just weird. While not every season 1 episode of B5 was great, I don't regret watching any of them (even if one or two were pretty lame). If season 2 is better than season one, then I will probably not be skipping any episodes this time, either.

20. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

"Gray 17" came to mind, but the B story is awesome and integral to the overall arc.