When did voyager go wrong?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I thought one of the most hilarious moments of the series was when they went into "grey mode."

They don't have enough deuterium to keep the engines going, so they cut the lights & heat off as if that's going to save energy. Give me a bandaid, my arm's been ripped off.

The energy needed to replicate a cup of coffee or to keep life support on in a crewquarters is probably an infinitesimal fraction of the energy needed for the ship to go half impulse for five seconds.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Oh I think we all know full well they only put that line in about the holodecks power system because the fans would call them on using an energy intensive system when they were supposed to be roughing it. (I believe TNG's "Booby Trap" details holodeck usegae when you are supposed to be conserving power)

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Post deleted

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

Unfortunately the strange idea that loss of power for "life support" meant imminent danger to life was just as stupid, while being too tired to be unintentionally funny. The in-universe premise means that either the ship is working and they are all pretty comfortable in day to day life, or the ship is broken and they are all in imminent peril of death. There's no nitwit in-between.

(Just for those who haven't bothered to think about it: Loss of power doesn't use up the oxygen nor build up carbon dioxide levels, meaning room air will sustain life longer than the entire episode, much less the scene. Also, vacuum is an excellent insulator, so freezing will not happen immediately. Overheating might happen quickly, depending upon where the ship is, but this is the one peril that I don't recall ever seeing on Voyager. Probably because sweat is a hassle for the cosmetics crew.)

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

at a guess I'm assuming that they don't use c02 scrubbers, because every replicator on the ship, dozens to hundreds of them placed for convenience can release fresh air into the ship which still makes you wonder what happens to the bad air? And for what doesn't get topped up naturally, the main transporters probably pick up the slack.

The don't clean the ship, and by the middle of season one tng, no one knew what a nanite was.

Cleaning and air supply has to be done magically.

How do they release the neurozine gas?

Whattabout Geordie and Bev trapped in that cargo bay in The Disaster?

6. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It didn't go wrong, it was all wrong from the start.
    The original series has the charm of, well, the original, and introduced some exciting ideas into sci-fi. Next Generation brought the concept back to life and gave it a nice new identity. DS9 developed it further with an entirely new take and took it about as far as it would go.
    I wish they'd had the courage to stop the TV series there. But of course, such a cash cow as this franchise is, with so many indiscriminating fans willing to watch and read any dross as long as it's got the "Trek" label on it, of course it wasn't going to be abandoned...

Voyager as a whole (a couple of very watchable episodes notwithstanding) is nothing but a lame re-hash of the concepts of the first two series, and the same goes for Enterprise, which has the dubious distinction of even more indifferent acting. Just about the only characters I enjoy on Voyager are the doctor - he's so deliciously pompous - and Tuvok - the actor has the "Vulcan thing" absolutely nailed to a tree.
    Ethan Philips is an excellent actor who is wasted on his role - Neelix is basically Quark without the charm but with extra daftness.
    As for Janeway, don't get me started. Couldn't they have found someone who comes across as more of a commanding officer, less of a schoolmarm? And without such a grating nasal voice??

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Voyager really started to go bad when Seven joined the ship. And then it's funny how Season 4 ended on a stand-alone episode instead of a two-parter, since it almost seems like from the start of Season 5 on, Voyager was a whole different show that really seemed to lose the character that it had developed in Season's 1, 2 & 3. Whenever I rematch an episode of Voyager I tend to grab the Kes era DVD's rather than the Seven era discs as those are so much more enjoyable.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    I only own the season 1-3 DVD:s.

There are 3-4 episodes I'm not that fond of (see the reviews on the Kes Website for further information) but most of the episodes in seasons 1-3 are great.

9. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

THIS!

10. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me Voyager went wrong pretty quickly, with the mixed crew just suddenly getting along and following the Captain when they were all hopelessly lost. If their climax to the first season was mutiny and Janeway spent season two under house arrest and struggled to redeem her name to ALL the crew, that would seem more natural. But they didn't logically follow through on the tensions of the show's initial premise... in fact they went the other way to a degree just stretched plausibility for me.

I never found Janeway's command style to be very admirable, so it just seems absurd that with half the crew predisposed against her that she'd win them over with her gruff, "I'm always right" manner.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Wasn't that in the last 3 or 4 episodes?

12. Guy Gardener

No. It was the last episode if you count Endgame as one episode.

Jeri asked the director if they should sex it up with Bobby in Natural law, but she was told to shut up, stop thinking and look pretty.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Seven was with the holographic Chakotay(who was way more life like than the real one) in Metronome, which was a few episodes before Endgame.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Metronome? Is that the Terra 3 name for "Human Error", which features a metronome prop? :p

15. Guy Gardener

There was a metronome prop sitting beside Kathy for 7 years.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently it's just the name of the episode in my head. Oops. :p

You can just say I was paying tribute to the episode name by committing a Human Error. ;)

17. Melakon

I had to look it up. Memory Alpha saved the day as Metronome had an article. My first thought was you meant "Counterpoint".

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

No it was in the last episode, and yes Voyager was fine up to then.

19. Melakon

It was the biggest :wtf: moment in seven years.

20. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

I look at StarTrek pairings this way, if I can write a half-way decent fanfic piece out of it, then it's not so bad.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/154772/Teya

It's not so bad. As a matter of fact, it works pretty well.

*shrug*

*ducks rotten tomatoes*