Gum card, Spock photo ????

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ItsGreen, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Unzipped shirt, Behind the scenes? Don't remember the episode that this occurred in?? The back of the card mentions Trelane but I don't think this scene is in that episode?

[​IMG]

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Well, it's obviously a production still as the angle clearly shows above the set walls into the sound stage ceiling. Also, there was never a scene where Spock's tunic was unzipped. It is an interesting photo, though.

--Alex

3. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't quite tell if we're seeing Nimoy's bare shoulder or the lining of the shirt. I don't suppose those T-shirts were sleeveless?

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting this rare image. :bolian: It's definitely a still. I would guess that his tunic was unzipped when not shooting a scene because (as Shatner once mentioned) the collars were itchy.

It's a sleeveless black undershirt. There are pics of Shatner wearing one.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Great photo. It`s always a pleasure getting to see a new photo. Thanks for posting.

6. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Another card, titled "Spock in Command", (BTS from WNMHGB?) again with his shirt open

[​IMG]

7. BoredShipCapt'n

They must have taken these during rehearsals. If they were posed photos, he'd surely have zipped his collar up.

Anyone remember the scene in the 1978 Battlestar Galactica pilot when Starbuck and Boomer undid their uniform shirts to reveal the Velcro holding them together? It may have been "space-age" technology then, but now it looks incredibly cheesy.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Are you sure? It looks like the material from the flap and not skin. Plus we see Spock in a t-shirt in "The Naked Time" when he returns from the surface of Psi200.

[​IMG]

Courtesy of TrekCore.

9. BoredShipCapt'n

^ Thanks. I thought I remembered seeing those somewhere.

10. ZapBrannigan

I'm pretty sure Nimoy is wearing a roughly cut, sleeveless black undershirt issued to the cast by Bill Theiss and not meant to be seen.

I think the photogenic short-sleeve T-shirts in that "Naked Time" scene were just for show, meant to be seen in that shot. They could not be worn on an ongoing basis because you'd start seeing undershirt sleeve-lines across the actors' upper arms. Hence the tank tops.

If you look closely at the top of Nimoy's left shoulder in that first photo, you'll see the black fabric goes higher than the white area, which is Nimoy's skin.

[​IMG]

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think this is part of the uniform, not Nimoy's skin.

[​IMG]

But I could be wrong.

13. BoredShipCapt'n

Nope. He wanted to show off his shaved pecs. :rommie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently Roddenberry wanted the shaved chest look, wonder what the thinking was? Any man who has tried this will tell you it results in a lot of itchiness :lol:

Anyway, some great pics here guys. I still can't believe new photos are turning up after all these years :techman:

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

My understanding is that the choice of the hairless look was Shatner's. He wanted the same look he achieved in his role as Alexander The Great in the 1964 television pilot Alexander The Great.

[​IMG]

16. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That photo would suggest you are right, it was a Shatner initiated thing.

From These are the Voyages, Vol 1., Revised ed, p.141 :

In reference to the sickbay scene in Corbomite :

(Cushman, 2013).

17. ZapBrannigan

It's really his skin and a sleeveless black undershirt, never meant to be seen on camera. Theiss issued the rough-cut black shirts so there would be no undershirt sleeve-line visible in the tunic's upper arm.

[​IMG]

18. BoredShipCapt'n

And there we have it. Thanks!

19. BoredShipCapt'n

Hmm. Roddenberry also thought people of the future would no longer have fingernails, but I suppose that was a step too far! :lol:

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was more of an industry standard of the time. Shatner was shaved, but so was Larry Hagman on I Dream of Jeannie. same with David Hedison & Terry Becker on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It was actually pretty rare to see bare-chested actors with much hair, if any. Lawrence Montaigne says he refused to shave his chest for Amok Time and wound up wearing the black turtleneck because of it. David Janssen, who had a huge thick mat of chest hair (which always peeked out from the top of his open shirt) never went bare-chested on The Fugitive. In one episode, he opened his shirt to show some bruises to a character and his back was to the camera. So, perhaps like the belly button, chest hair was frowned upon. Nimoy got away with it in one episode, but that was probably because of the “alien” thing.