Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rough beginnings of the interior of the lander module:

[​IMG]

As far as I know, we will never see this in the film, but some exterior details relate to the interior layout so I figured it would be useful to know what it looks like. Not to mention being another useful addition to my portfolio.

Incidentally, the intent here is that the pilot and copilot chairs as well as the console in front of them actually tilts from the upright position shown here to a horizontal "takeoff" position.

2. Vektor

Update:

[​IMG]

3. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How about we call service tunnels Vektor Orifices? Sounds legit to me!

Got to say these engine and lander cockpit modules are quite impressive looking.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, we didn't specifically shoot anything to go into the lander, but I had a though on how we might get a shot of someone piloting it. There's a plot point about loading something bigish into the ship (we can discuss in email as I don't want to give away to many plot points here), so we should probably talk about that.

5. Vektor

Last one on the lander for now. Back to engineering.

[​IMG]

6. Vektor

Let's just leave my orifices entirely out of this production, shall we? :p

7. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, 'Vektors Cavities' is also out I must assume.

8. Vektor

Turned on the lights on the upper level and adjusted the lighting accordingly. Also did a lot of polishing all over the image.

[​IMG]

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Vektor, you have simply outdone yourself. This is the BEST engine room I have ever did see. I'm constantly in awe of your talent, seriously you are one talented MOFO.

10. Vektor

Thanks, everybody. Just a little ways left to go on this one.

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vektor, this has been fascinating! Obviously, you're talented and your work is a delight, but watching your sketches of this space go from "meh" to near photorealistic is inspirational.

I bet a lot of your fans would love to look over your shoulder while you work. To see how you lay out your construction lines, see what kind of mistakes you make and then how you fix them, and how you layer on textures and effects until you have a finished project.

I think I begged you once before for a timelapse video of your 3D work. I'm begging again ... if you find the time on your next project, please set up to record your workscreen so we can see how you do what you do? I know you're humble about your talent, but there are a bunch of us here who would learn eagerly from you.

12. Vektor

Worth considering, I suppose. Anybody want to recommend some good software for desktop recording?

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hell, I'd be happy with a gallery of images with a lot of your past work. Some of your older stuff is getting hard to find.

14. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Vector, I can't tell you how great this looks. Really inspired. Completely non-Trek (which I expect) and yet still believable. I echo the thoughts towards a step by step run through of how you develop your ideas. Doesn't even need video, just a quick narrative af what you were thinking, then a picture.

Again, I have enjoyed watching your work on this and look forward to seeing more.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

This is really shaping up to be a classic sci-fi design. Loving it!

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question! After trying a bunch of GUI-based applications on Linux, I settled on a command-line application written in ... Python! The darned thing is wonderfully configurable and works flawlessly. In Linux. Although I don't see why it wouldn't work in any OS if one had all the right libraries.

For Windows, I used to use CamStudio. It's free and it got the job done.

For Mac, I bet one could get their BSD-based OS running that python script really easily. Beyond that, I haven't a clue, but a quick search led me to a blog listing 10 possible tools.

Thanks for considering this, Vektor.

17. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

tricky. libav isn't native to MacOS, and can be a trick to compile. some of the other tools the python script uses aren't normally available and probably won't work at all outside a linux windowing system.

18. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can I demand you return to the Egg shaped Independence or whatever that star ship was called. I liked that design.

19. Vektor

You mean Grandeur? Don't worry, I've already resumed tinkering on that one. Hopefully I'll be able to show more progress on the 3D model relatively soon.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I swear we should just start up a kickstarter fund for you so that you can work on cool projects for us full time.