What unseen parts of the ship do you wish we saw?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JonnyQuest037, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

On TOS we saw the bridge, engineering, sickbay, the shuttle bay, the transporter room, the auxilary control room, as well as various crew quarters, briefing rooms and lounge areas. But when you consider the sheer size of the Enterprise, we really didn't see all that many areas of the ship. Were there any areas that the creators didn't show us that you wish they did?

For me, I think it would have been cool to see some of the science labs aboard the ship. Spock presumably had many science areas under his direct supervision, but from what TOS showed us, nearly all of his experiements and deductions took place in his bridge viewfinder. I think seeing some more of the security facilities besides the brig could have been interesting.

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could be a smart ass, and say the women's shower/locker room. But how about that bowling alley we've heard about? Or even a really proper botanical garden. I'd also liked to have seen the part of the hanger deck where they store all the other shuttle decks.

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

More of the engineering setup. It'd be a real help in laying out the secondary hull.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The torpedo facilities, so that we could put to rest the concept of the torps being energy balls and see with our own eyes that a 1960s scifi show would insist on portraying them as instantly recognizable cigar shapes...

Also, one or more of those facilities that were too big to be done in set form. Either in TOS-R style, with latter-day CGI making the impossible possible, or in matte form. Such as the true vastness of the "maze" they called Main Engineering. Or the hangar spaces of the shuttlecraft handling complex. Or one of the workshops or fabrication facilities that gave our heroes their instant Nazi uniforms or flintlocks.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Scrambo

Scrambo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with the science labs.. maybe the medical labs, wasnt the enterprise meant to have a swimming pool as well? Possibly more crew quarters, more of engineering in detail too.

6. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish we'd seen every inch of it!

A few off the top of my head I'd love to have seen :

• Bar
    • Bowling Alley
    • Kirk's Office
    • Ion Pod
    • Observation deck(s)
    • Torpedo room

7. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any room in the interhull connect... Don't think I've ever seen one in there. Or the gubbins around the navigational sensor dome. Or (as mentioned above) the Torpedo Bays.

And how about a TOS depiction of the turbolift shafts?

8. Timo

Well, some early action took place on Deck 12, which cannot be located anywhere else no matter which of the slightly varying size estimates and internal layout ideas we choose to believe in... For example Kirk's cabin was in the interhull in "Mudd's Women" by that token.

Timo Saloniemi

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Deck 12 could be in the Secondary hull if the deck heights are made to be of varying heights. Some sizing of the Enterprise places 8 decks in the primary hull and it could be argued that the interconnect has only one or two "decks" making deck 10 start at the top of the secondary hull.

Parts I'd like to have seen would've been:

the rest of Engineering
    the cargo bay
    enlisted quarters
    recreation room 3, all levels of it
    the bowling alley
    ion pod
    torpedo room

:)

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Kirk said there were 14 of them, one would have been bumping into one every few feet or so. ;)

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good topic. :techman:

So many aspects to the ship were either never touched on or too briefly.

It would've been interesting to see the the turbo lift system in more detail. We do see indicators of the cars going up or down and then sideways, based on the light bar display. It's funny how in TNG, they did away with that (no sense given of which direction the elevator is moving). Anyway, a glimpse of the turbolift shaft would be cool. Also, some kind of position indicator at the entry door, so someone can see just how far away the next turbo lift is.

It would've been great if there was a 10-forward shown, even if briefly, to help lend continuity into TNG.

Much more detail of the shuttle bay, so we can see where shuttles are stored and how they're moved about. Perhaps a view from one of the upper levels looking down.

A much bigger aboretum/botanical garden.

More on recreation. The gymnasium shown in more episodes (Charlie-X was the only one). A swimming pool in action, too.

use of a crew quarters shower and or bathroom.

The galley crew (chef, assistants, etc) and some detail about the management of the food replication system.

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Kirk's closet had uniforms hanging in them (from the deleted scene from "Corbomite") they probably weren't replicated as needed, so there must have been some type of a laundry/repair facility.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cetacean Ops! :-)

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Did they ever actually mention a swimming pool? I wrote one into my (shelved) nuTrek novel, but never heard back on whether that was approved.

15. Timo

The episodes don't feature references, no. The first source to mention a pool would appear to be Shane Johnson's Mr Scott's Guide... Although if they always had that TAS holodeck, a pool would then appear a bit redundant.

The bowling alley could be a figment of Riley's imagination, and another thing better replaced by the holodeck; it could become the pool on alternate evenings, then.

I would have liked to see more of that early holodeck. And of the recreation facilities in general. The editing of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" makes it appear as if one of the Rec Rooms is three decks high, which is a perfectly fine concept that jibes with what we see in ST:TMP. Just place said Rec Room directly below the bridge, at the center of the saucer - both in TOS and in ST:TMP - so that it actually fits inside the hull and serves as a sensible route for a chase that takes place after the hunter (as per his demonstrated abilities) remotely disables the prey's turbolift just below Deck 1.

Timo Saloniemi

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

TAS nothwithstanding, I've always assumed that Kirk's Enterprise didn't have a holodeck. That more of a TNG thing to me. Indeed, in "Encounter at Farpoint," it's treated like this amazing new thing, not something that's been around for nearly a century . . . .

(Of course, I'm of the generation where we were told to ignore TAS when it came to writing TREK books. I'm not sure whether that policy is still in effect.)

17. Timo

To be sure, TNG treats the holodeck as an amazing new thing twice: upgrades by the Bynars made our heroes go gosh and wow, even though the audience saw no improvement.

Riker's amazement in the TNG pilot could easily reflect the previous round of upgrades in a preexisting technology, then (including the fact that it has finally reached starships). VOY later makes it clear that our heroes were exposed to holotainment in their childhood already. But the military is typically slow to adopt entertainment technologies, so Flotter could have been unavailable aboard military starships until the 2360s, and might have had a bit fewer polygons on its skin...

Of course, the quality of animation in "The Practical Joker" is perfect for hiding the sort of technological shortcomings that the 2260s holodeck may have suffered from.

Timo Saloniemi

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that policy of ignoring TAS evaporated the second Paramount secured full rights to it, which is also around the same time Richard Arnold was shown the door.

As for a swimming pool, first reference I recall is in FJ's blueprints. Big Olympic sized sucker right behind the navigational deflector.

Another reason I reject the FJ blueprints as anything close to authoritative.

19. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

The ship's mess, laundry facilities and raw-sewage reclamation.

Heck, I would have enjoyed more views out of all those windows that the Enterprise had.

20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I can't imagine a swimming pool on board a ship where the artificial gravity could fail suddenly... :vulcan:

But yeah, it would have been nice to see the bowling alley. :lol: